Stephen Hawking

Discussion in 'Books' started by Jabbawaya, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

What a genious. Stephen Hawking's books are pretty well-written and quite interesting, especially if you're into science. You can learn a lot from them about the universe in general. Physics is a damn complex subject but since so much of science is built off of it, it's very important. His theories on time are very much worth reading.
    The universe is totally tripped out.

If you're looking for something interesting to read about space/astronomy/physics/time, check out A Brief History of Time,or his newer book, The Universe in a Nutshell. Pretty science-oriented but not too difficult to understand even if you're not especially science-educated.

2. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

I agree with you 100%

3. Spinor

Spinor Member

yes......and no

4. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

I've browsed through both, interesting, but overly simplified IMO.

5. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

He HAD to simplify them for idiots like US. I can only speak for myself, but, I know I don't have his IQ points!!!
    I mean, how many of us REALLY know what a Quark (Besides the Ferrengi on DS9!) or a Neutrino are???

6. artful_dodger

artful_dodger Member

I have a copy of A Brief History of Time on my bookshelves. It's one of those ones you buy and then hide from, lol...

I'll give it a try.

7. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

His books are great, but his hip-hop work is even better. I think he's working on a new release now, with Snoop Dogg. Someone somewhere once quipped that The Hawkman probably has an "I'm With Stupid" shirt, except with arrows pointing in ALL directions :)

8. lemon714

lemon714 Member

stevie gettin down

9. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

You have to admit it is pretty amazing that, despite his serious disabilities, he's one of the world's most influential scientists.

10. Eugene

Eugene Senior Member

A quark is a sub-atomic particle. 3 quarks are in protons and neutrons, there are three flavors (i tink) and are up or down. A neutrino is a ghostly particle that are pretty much everywhere but are a bitch to detect seing as they pass through matter unnoticed.
    I think that steven hawkings is pretty intelligent though, but i think that the entire multiple universes/multiple dimensions thing is just a cop out.

hyperspace by micio kaku (sp?) is a decent read though if you're into Hawking.

11. Jabbawaya

Jabbawaya Member

I would agree that there are more dimensions than we are presently aware of. It just makes sense to me. In the coming years there will be scientific discoveries which will change our understanding of the universe forever, and that could be one of them.