Steal This Book

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by serra, May 31, 2004.

1. Nirali

Nirali Member

Steal in shop :)))

2. smokeybear2

smokeybear2 Member

i went to barnes in noble in florida and ripped the little barcode off so the door scanners wouldnt get me and shoved it in my boxers! just doing what hoffman instructed...

3. Shaw-Min

Shaw-Min Member

It was really unnecessary to rip the barcode off.

4. azaleah

azaleah Member

Awesome book. Unfortunately I didn't steal it. :(

5. iamtheeggman

iamtheeggman Member

someone has.
    http://wiki.stealthiswiki.org/wiki/Main_Page
    great project, not too big yet, but it has pretty much updated the entire book and added new shit.

6. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

'steal this urine test.' hoffman wrote that book back in the mid 1980's. it is sort of an updated version of 'steal this book.'

7. iamtheeggman

iamtheeggman Member

^^^ not so much. steal this urine test just had a similar name, it was about drugs.

8. youre_the_revolution

youre_the_revolution Member

9. Venatrix

Venatrix Member

I've got it out from a library right now--I'm partway through it. While a good amount of it definitely doesn't hold true anymore, it's really interesting to read. And, with a little creativity, you can easily take outdated ideas and bring them up to times.

10. randomguy16

randomguy16 Member

Lol, I actually found the book by accident, I was looking at geek sites and it sounded like a geek book because of the humor in the name (geeks of the 80's ripped off hippie humor, lol), and I actually found out ti was about revolution. Funny how though my homeschool books mention the hippie culture of the 60's, they never once mention The Yippies or Abbie Hoffman, huh?

They actually had a good idea, but I actually think we don't need a new government- just a reform of the old one.

Steal This Wiki rules too, I actually went to WV recently, and there are more Neo-Yippies there than there are in my supposedly much more liberal hometown. Meh, they're just liberal here because they think Obama will "fix the ghettos".

11. Number48

Number48 Member

If you take the cover of the book literally... you can easily "steal" a copy by looking it up on your favourite Bittorrent site. Along with many similar books. ;)

12. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Hi,

well, besides the morally difficulties it's not the same. The haptic and the smell of a book can't be imitated by a PDF. I read lots of stuff on screen. But often I buy books, even if I have the same text as a PDF. For me reading books is more than only sucking the information out of the text.

Regards
    Gyro

13. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

Hoffman also checked out on purpose, age 52, phenobarbital. Not too impressive, that.

14. dirtydog

dirtydog Banned

That could be an idea. How about, we all reply to each spam message we get. That way, if someone spams to 5,000,000 people, he gets back 5,000,000 messages to deal with.

15. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

Classic book.Love Abbie Hoffman!

16. Dirtyhippycommiebastard

Dirtyhippycommiebastard Member

I posted a thread on this called "Steal this thread" where you can read it free.Check it out.

http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/showthread.php?t=409264

17. McPhlegmagan

McPhlegmagan Member

They tell you how to jury-rig pipe bombs in this book.
    Get it!

18. Ishkah

Ishkah Members

Late reply, but there was a 50th anniversary republishing of the book with an extra forward and stuff that you can find here:
    There are a few 1st editions still knocking around that you can buy for crazy high prices as collectors items. Plus, here's a digitized version that people can use to print themselves a copy or get one printed and bound at a small book printers:

19. Ishkah

Ishkah Members

Cool photo of a 70's hippie kid's bedroom where the kid is reading this book :)
    [​IMG]

60s bedroom.png

[​IMG]

~Zen~ likes this.
  20. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Very cool :)