Steal This Book

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by serra, May 31, 2004.

1. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

I've read it too :D

Found it via the thread on the old forum. Tis a great book. Some really fab ideas, even if they aren't relevant today.

TTFN
    Sage

2. Acorn

Acorn Member

sounds good, i should read it.

3. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I know several people who are active phreaks, many with their own phone loops. Just because it is apearantly useless, by today's standards, does'nt mean it's dead.

4. superNova

superNova Member

oh what an awesome book ;) i just lent my copy to my sweety so he could enjoy it. it doesn't matter if it's outdated, it's still funny as hell.

i love the part about taking those little cards that fall out of magazines, pasting them to a brick, then dropping them in the mailbox so the makers have to pay the postage :D

5. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

that actually works. its a good way to get rid of junk mail.

6. migle

migle Senior Member

Eiz!!! I had heard about this books and their writer, but i never looked for it, i'll begin to read it in English, but i'm gonna try to get it in Spanish if it's translated, does anybody know anything about translations from these books? Tank you. I'll begin the search.

7. Captain Zeep

Captain Zeep Acoustic Hero

you can get reveloution for the hell of it, woodstock nation, steal this book and excerpts from dancing in the ice age all compiled in the book "the best of abby hoffman" from random house press. it's about twenty bucks.

8. kokoyo112

kokoyo112 Member

Read through a friends copy last year and it was pretty cool.

Fun read if nothing else.

I REALLY wish half the stuff would work now though; it'd be fun.

9. sublime94

sublime94 Banned

This is my all-time fave book!

10. Barabajagal1967

Barabajagal1967 Member

i found out that steal this book is out of print now but i got lucky and figured out a barnes and noble by my house had one copy left in the store. woo hoo so far im enjoying it

11. lucyinthesky16

lucyinthesky16 pirate wench

my boyfriend stole it from barnes and nobles a couple of months ago

12. drifting

drifting Member

great book ...

..but does anyone know of any similar books that is just like (steal this book) , but is made for this generation, with tips that would actually work in this decade?

13. Beckner420

Beckner420 troll

14. Charise

Charise Naked to the Cosmos

I had that book and guess what happened to it? Somebody stole it! :p (No kidding)

15. Positive Vibrations

Positive Vibrations Member

I have that book and yeah, i stole it. I am having a hard time finding some of Abbie Hoffmans other books. I have "Woodstock Nation", "revolution for the hell of it" and "steal this book". i think my favorite one is woodstock nation. I do think there needs to be a new steal this book. things in Amerika are getting way outta control and it's our job to knock those fat cats down a peg.

16. seaweedyness

seaweedyness Member

i agree man. it's a great book, i just can't relate to everything cus it's not the same anymore.

we should get a bunch of people to share their ideas of modern day stuff that'd be useful, and make it into a compilation and sell it. i mean, itd never be as popular as the original, but its just an idea

17. offset

offset Senior Member

A friend tried to do what the cover suggests....he was arrested!!:):)

18. Delfynasa

Delfynasa Member

I think it is a cool book too. I am not into the
    stealing bits at all or how to make bombs, but
    the eating cheap, clothes cheap, first aid and
    medical stuff are still cool. It is the kind of book
    that gets your mind going about enjoying life without
    haveing or blowing tons of dough er doe er money.
    I sure miss my copy. I zeroxed the picture of the guy
    standing in the pool playing a recorder before I sold the
    book to help a friend with er plant purchase.
    bb
    Delfynasa

19. Yummy Ukulele

Yummy Ukulele Member

Steal This Book online! Enjoy.

Instead of stealing it in a bookstore that was heavily secured (the university's bookstore the weekend before classes started), I just sat in the aisle and went through it for an hour. Also, I knew that some one had probably put the whole damn thing online - and I was right!

20. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

I used to have this book---and cherished it. But someone stole it from me years ago. It's still at Barnes & Noble---I've been meaning to replace it. Another book of mine that disappeared was by Hoffman's partner-in-crime----Jerry Rubin----this was his later book, Growing Up at 37. But my mom lent it out to someone back in '79---and she threw it away because of the fowl language-----which wasn't that bad.

But Rubin said it was ok to go back into the establishment, which many of us did-----and then the 1980's happened. ----and then Rubin goes and gets himself flattened by a car? (What was up with that?-----there was no one to lead us-----and then look what happened----we're in this mess now because Rubin wasn't here to guide us, man! What do we now? Oh my God! What do we do? What do we do? Aaaaaaauuuuggghghhhh...!)