Steal This Book

Discussion in 'Beat and Hippie Books' started by serra, May 31, 2004.

1. serra

serra tentacle girl

anyone read it?

someone should make an updated version! contributing readers is the goal!!

2. fylthevoyd

fylthevoyd Super Moderator

Yes I have serra,in fact I still have an original copy of it.It would be almost impossible to update it,since the computer age has done away with the ability to live free unless you are a computer programmer.That is something that I am not.

3. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Whats it about/Where to get it?

4. serra

serra tentacle girl

Voyd! i'm jealous! did you steal it though? ;)

Lunacy-
    it's about, well, a lot of things. basically it's like how to live for free in amerika. how to rip off everything you need, how to get by without getting BUY.

it's divided into four sections. SURVIVE! FIGHT! LIBERATE! and ..... i can't remember!! (maybe there's only 3?? damn, i left it at work!)(how ironic is that? :p)

1 person likes this.
  5. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Awesomeness. Where can I score a copy?
    (BTW your new sig pic is very -searches for word- sensual -drool-)

6. serra

serra tentacle girl

*blush* thanks!

hmmm.... where to get a copy!? i'm sure your local headshop might have a copy, and if not they might order one in for you. if that does't work you can check out
    online places. i found a couple up for grabs on ebay at the moment.

as i said before, always wanted to read this but felt like a copout paying for a copy! i'd lend you this one if you were here!

THIS ONE IS ONLY A DOLLAR! (for now)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6901308110&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29223&item=6901754883&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

7. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

1960s!? I'm almost positive that the methods wouldnt still work. Anarchists Cookbook is another one of those old texts that dont quite hold true. Phreaking is like... dead

8. IdentityCrisis

IdentityCrisis Member

I've read it. No, the methods wouldn't work anymore... but it's kind of neat anyway.

Buy it? Who said anything about buying it? I read the whole thing online.

9. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I recentlly nabbed a net copy as well (horribly done I might add) and some tips remain practicle such as hitching a ride or communes. I definatlly dont think I can slide a few LP's into a pizza box at my local supermarket though lol

10. fylthevoyd

Serra, yes I did what the title told me to do.It is a classic,even though there is very little that could be applied in todays world.I am not sure about this,if it has been reprinted,I really doubt it.I know some libraries have it,but you can't check it out.It is only available as a reference source.
    He also had another book,released shortly after "Steal This Book",it's title was
    "Fuck The Establishment",it dealt with his ideas about the government and different approaches to his belief in street theater style of protesting.Now adays they are nothing more than collector's items,plus a look back to what the opinion of the times were.
    Good luck on your searchs for the books.

11. TripAmerika

TripAmerika Member

I've read Steal This Book three times by now. Abbie Hoffman was a fucking genius. But these days, it's just the principle of the book that is so fascinating.

12. dylanzeppelin

dylanzeppelin daydream believer

aww i enjoy this book just as well as i am enjoying his book, "revelation for the hell of it".. abbie hoffman, wow he was crazy awesome.. i do agree that you couldnt use any of this techniques, its just rather interesting to read of these methods and what not.. always good to read some old stuff =)

13. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

The dude was insane. "Skyjacking is a great way to get around"

14. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

Dark-phreaking is'nt dead, it just is'nt practical
    Everyone else-The book is not as uncommon as you would think... Barnes and Noble has it, Amazon.com has it, and Borders has it. I have no clue why everyone thinks it's absolutely impossible to find. I would advise though, to not be an ass and actually steal it.

15. fylthevoyd

backtothelab; I didn't say the books were impossible to find,I just said I did not know if they were being reprinted.I have not even attempted to locate the books,since I already have original copies that I have had for better than 35years.

dylanzepplin,the book you are reading now "Revolution For The Hell of It",that is the same book as"Fuck The Establishment",because it was banned because of the title.Then it was re-released as "Revolution",censorship was very much a part of the 60's.That is one of the biggest battles that Abbie waged against the system.

16. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

fill, i did'nt mean that you said that the books were impossible to find, i meant it as a generalization. The book has come up as a topic before, on this forum and others, and everyone seems to belive that to find a copy is some kind of freak oddity, which it is absolutely not. Sorry for the misunderstanding

17. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

It is like dead. Whens the last time you used an aqua box to hang up your phone? Or used a red box to make a call? I'd like to find a blotto box though just for the hell of it. People die without their phones

18. Lindiglo

Lindiglo Member

http://www.pieman.org/stealthisbook.html
    Read the whole thing online!
    :D I printed it out, four pages to a sheet of paper, and stapled it together in three little sections. Don't bother buying it, don't let anybody get your money for something Abbie didn't want you to pay for in the first place.
    It's unfair to say the book is outdated, or a history text. A lot of the tips are still worthwhile. Mainly the sections on protest, communes, hitchhiking, the movie-sneaking bit can be slightly revised, and the sections on zines and independent press are still as relevant as ever. Also, the coin-replacing section should also come in handy ;)
    Lindi

19. maryfairy

maryfairy flower

fylthevoyd: it was called Fuck the System. Not Fuck the Establishment. Its not quite the same thing as Revolution For the Hell of It (I own a copy). It was a pamphlet he wrote way before the Chicago convention using the money from the police dept. in the Lower East Side to pay for it. Then he wrote Revolution for the Hell of It and put Fuck the System in the back. Kind of as an added bonus. Then he wrote Woodstock Nation, then Steal This Book (in 1971). He also wrote a sequel to Steal This Book but it was never published because the only copy was given to a publisher who went out of business. Abbie never got it back. Also, some libraries let you check it out. Mine does. Though, I find it amusing a library would put it under reference. Wonder what kind of schoolwork you would be using that for? Lol.

For everyone else: Abbie Hoffman was a genius. Most of the things in the book aren't possible anymore (can you blame companies for changing things after finding this stuff out?). And some of it shouldn't be taken so seriously. I really doubt he expected anyone to hijack a plane because of him. But the information on things like growing weed and self defense could be valuable. But mostly read it in good cheer and fun. That was part of the point.

20. serra

serra tentacle girl

well i am glad others are reading this book as well.

i know a lot of the ideas in it no longer work but it's fun to read and gets my brain going in that direction.