States that are violating the 26th Amendment

Discussion in 'Politics' started by monkjr, Aug 17, 2013.

1. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

I've just read and heard that the state of North Carolina (Republican legislature controlled) is not accepting college campus addresses as an permanent residency address for voting.

I think this is a violation of the 26th Amendment. What say you?

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

They are not even accepting college ID cards as valid photo ID for voting; neither are they accepting photo ID issued by government assistance agencies for the poor. They know that most people using these forms of ID vote overwhelmingly Democratic.

3. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Are they being denied voting in their home State?

Maybe a National ID card wouldn't be such a bad thing after all. My European friends seem to have no complaints about having one.

Why not eliminate secret ballots entirely? Isn't that what Unions are pushing for?

4. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

Nothing wrong with road blocks for the "handout" kings. Why should they have to cover the extra costs? The bums sit on their ass and the rich have to pay their difference in tax.

5. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

^What do you mean by this post exactly El Tuna?

Why should who play the extra costs? (Who is the "they" you are referring to in your posts?)

6. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

There's so many OTHER Constitutional Violations Monk could be Worried about... But who cares about the 1st, 2nd, 4th,5,6,7th Amendments, when the 26th is at risk!

Monk, look very hard across America; The Constitution has been silenced by the actions of the federal government- this isn't about one Right, this is about freedom in it's entirety. This is why I say Liberals Only support freedom when it's good for them. How can so many Liberals be worried about the 26th amendment, when they want to force the 2nd away from us?

Why not just take it all away?

7. EL Tuna

EL Tuna Member

It means fucking non USA citizens cant vote (deleted). They get a free ride over, Free education and vote for the "handout" side. Some places only required a picture ID to vote and the swarms of low life's voted multiple times.

'They' is the working people that were smart enough to make money to turn around and have to pay the costs of these pieces of shit getting free education and they are not even fucking American.

We should take care of are own first, Fuck apu, Juan, Ching and chang, Bob was born are raised here, He should have first shot at that $$. But he would be undecided and the foreigner is die hard libtard.

8. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

So maybe I could come over there & study,free of course,get qualified as a Welfare Claiments Advisor (hear it comes with a green card) all expenses paid ? I'll book a flight-beats being Unemployed these last 30 years!

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I call BS on voter fraud.

10. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

I was a college student not long ago, and my student ID wasn't considered valid ID anywhere outside of campus by any establishment. So why would state legislature accept a college ID card?

11. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I never ran into that problem around here.

The university used to know a lot more about me than the driver's license bureau did, and both organizations were run by the same state.

12. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

But the issue is ON campus addresses and on campus voting stations.

@STP, I care about other violations of the other amendments but rarely do other amendments get the same discussions and debate as compared to the 1st and 2nd.

It's been ruled that there are restrictions on free speech, but I too feel zoning laws for protests are unconstitutional.

Also recall I am against gun bans, and am only for backround checks that are consistent nationwide. I do not believe state gun restrictions work.

@El tuna, if you don't strike a more respectful tone in your posts I will cease to respond to you. I think I understand your position but you can say it in a much more polite manner.

There are good kids brought across the border at ages 1-4, and speak English and have technical skills our business community needs like computer science know how etc..

Are you saying that based on a technicality of where they are born they should be kicked out? If they're bums or smuggling stuff fine lock em up and deport them, but if they are needed they should get visas and be allowed to pay taxes and keep their family together.

13. monkjr

monkjr Senior Member

It's also not a statistical lay proven fact illegal immigrants are a negative on the macro economy.

Especially since their cheap labor in the fields is passed on as a benefit to consumers.

Need I also state that in Washington state farms there had a shortage of apple pickers in 2009-2011, so farmers there lost a lot of good apple crop that couldn't be picked in time.

I ask you Tuna, if there were enough native born american who wanted those jobs during the recession, where were they in Washington?

14. Individual

Individual Senior Member

Are you actually claiming that you have been unemployed the last 30 years?

15. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I don't think so, no. Living on a college campus does not necessarily mean that person is a resident of that state.

16. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

You can't keep your dorm room if you aren't registered for classes every semester. Spring and fall semesters cover more than half the year. If you spend more than half each year in NC, that makes you a resident, and you have to pay state income taxes. Also, full-time commuter students have to be residents unless the school is near a state border.

Beyond that, our state colleges go to a lot of trouble to determine and document residency, because in state tuition is a lot lower than out of state tuition. It isn't easy to fool them. I would have a lot easier time getting a driver's license with a wrong address on it.

Obviously, the state isn't worried about the colleges not knowing where people live. The Republicans in Raleigh just don't want them voting.

I graduated from one of the most liberal colleges in the state, and the nearest polling place has been moved from an on-campus site to a place beyond the reach of the local bus system. No matter what kind of ID they have, if the students don't have a car or a friend with a car and a similar class schedule, they won't be voting next time. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what the goal is there.

17. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

No,you caught me out. Worked right up till' I had to retire 3 years ago & would be back in employment now if I could.

18. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Interesting. I went to a small college and not a state-funded university; that could be part of the reason.

Also, Oregon has some of the strictest alcohol and restricted item laws in the whole country. If you wanna buy alcohol/cigarettes or go to a bar, you have to have a drivers license, passport, or other forms of government issued photo ID only. I've been able to get by with my concealed weapons liscense in some areas, but I've had that denied before too because the clerk didn't know it was a valid form of ID (or they just don't like guns).

Anyway back on topic; if a college student wants to vote, it shouldn't be a problem that they can't use their student ID card anyway.

19. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Also, isn't Portland very close to the Washington state line? There could be quite a few college students in Portland who commute from the Washington side. If so, the ID cards would need to be altered to clearly show state residency. I can't think of a place in NC where that would be a common problem. The drive from UNC-Charlotte to the nearest part of South Carolina is horrendous.

There are different ways of being "tough". NC still has some dry counties, and counties that only allow beer and wine. But if liquor is legal in a county, the only requirement is being over 21. It's up to the business to decide whether or not you appear to be over 21, or what form of ID they want to see in marginal cases. If you look 40, nobody is going to ask you for ID. If you own a bar close to a college and don't accept college ID, you won't be in business for long. They will go elsewhere.

Do you have any idea how many college students from large northeastern cities don't have a license to drive? I guess not. They wouldn't be going to school in Oregon. There are tons of them down here. Growing up where there is plenty of mass transit and a parking space costs an arm and a leg, they move into dorms down here and are surprised to find out that all the local kids have cars.

20. PlacidDingo

PlacidDingo Member

Bob can't get the $$ because is undecided?
    Bob should decide so can get $$!