state your clinical disorders!

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Magical mystery tourguide, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I just went through several studies that said things like "conclusive evidence shows that mental disorder X is a genetic predisposition based on the fact that the offspring of people suffering from mental disorder X is more likely to develop the same mental disorder."

I don't think that proves much.

2. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

Uhhmmm, you do understand and know what the definition of "conclusive" is, don't you?

3. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

:rofl:

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was being ironic. I don't find studies like that to be conclusive whatsoever because it could still be related to environmental factors. Just because the offspring of someone with mental disorders develops the same mental disorder doesn't prove anything genetically. It could be learned behavior.

Uhhmmm, you do understand and know what the definition of "ironic" is, don't you?

5. PB_Smith

I know lots of words :p
    What I find amusing in this exchange of ideas is every time your statements are shown to be ridiculous, you quickly backpedal with some "uh, uhmm, thats not what I meant" type of response. Maybe it would be better if you read your posts a couple of times to be sure you typed the idea that was in your head before you hit the submit button. ;)

Oh and thanks for the rep, :)

6. Magical mystery tourguide

Magical mystery tourguide Senior Member

very well put.

For example, if a paranoid schizophrenic skins alive a 5 year old because they were literally convinced that god was making them do that - do you think that person deserves to get punishment?

Do you think revenge on anyone for any given reason is worthwhile or necessary. For example someone shooting someone else, just because they are in a verbal argument. Or does revenge really hold no universal meaning, just our egos trying to get what they just lost.

7. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

Maybe her 'High IQ' is only activated sometimes. :p

Oh, did she neg rep you to? Perhaps it's for the same reason as me and you just aren't smart enough to challenge her with a well-arguable debate. Oh well. Let me spread the good rep around. :)

8. deleted

deleted Visitor

when I was 19/20.. I never even heard of manic/depression. Unless it was Jimi..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jDkuG3dMS8"]YouTube - Manic Depression- Jimi Hendrix

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You think my statements are ridiculous simply because I do not agree with you, as far as I can tell.

I did not respond with a "uh, uhmm, thats not what i meant" type of response. Just because you cannot understand irony doesn't mean that my intentions were different in the original statement. I do not find those studies to be conclusive. I like how you ignored that part of my post and instead focus on personal attacks. I've offered nothing but my opinion and you and that angry guy have lowered yourselves to personal attacks. All because I dare to disagree with you? Right..

Since you guys seem to think that modern medicine is the only answer to mental disorders and they cannot be controlled in other, more natural ways such as exercise, a good diet, positive thinking, actively pursuing happiness...I will leave you to your meds :)

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

Post I just made on youtube..

Dont accuse me of buying into the Phama crap..

srsly it would be a bad Idea.. ^^ mks..

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

lol seriously? I gave you negative rep because you neg repped me and called me a fucking idiot instead of offering a response to me in the thread. I don't take kindly to being called a "fucking idiot," especially when all I am doing is stating an opinion that differs from yours.

12. PB_Smith

Actually my responses to you are not because you don't agree with me, they are because you quite frankly have demonstrated that you really do not know what you are talking about concerning this topic.

Could you please quote any of my posts where I stated anything even remotely along the lines you state in the above quote?

All I have said in this thread is that your ideas about mental illness, namely depression, are naive and not supported by medical research. Never said word one about treatment methodologies, actually I made comment about drugs being way over-prescribed and mental illness to easily offered as a diagnosis. That does not mean that somebody suffering from severe depression can just "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" and get over it.

Maybe you should re-read some of your comments in this thread. ;)

13. psychedelicg1rl

psychedelicg1rl Member

I have major depressive disorder, and panic disorder, and aspergers!

I have panic attacks all the time for no apparent reason. and NO matter what my thoughts are at the time, I can not physically control myself. when I was younger, I used to cut to calm myself done. NOw I do not do that, but it is hard finding something that helps.
    I also have a very bad case of clinical depression, It is hard to describe, I am depressed every single day. even when things are going majorly good like today they are, I am still depressed. I have tried to kill myself more times than I can count, and been hospitalized, and to say it was a choice, adn I could just make my mind believe to become better, I would be better by now< I have been this way since I was 10 or 11. I am 24!! I have tried happy thoughts, and wishing it away, and all kinds of things. REally taking meds was one of my only options if it had worked. I tried everything. Now I just self-medicate with weed, or kanna, or kava kava. I really hate the fact that I have these, but I can not think differently and just be ok. When there is a chemical reason for it, you can not think it better. YOU just cant.
    I actually had scans of my brain done for a psychological evaluation awhile back and I actually ahve a few tiny holes in my brain, that they think are causing my depression and anxiety. Aspergers they really have no idea, but my brain is also wired differently for that.
    Really hate when people tell me I can just think differently and positively and it will go away, bc it doesnt work for those with a serious medical reason for their depression. and my chronic pain just adds to it.

14. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

Please review what I previously said- Unless your 'high IQ' isn't high enough to understand it. :)

And no reason to get all butthurt-

15. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I never once said all you have to do is pull yourself up by your bootstraps and get over it. I said that there are other ways to deal with it besides medicating yourself with antidepressants. Anti depressants actually don't work for a lot of people, and the remedies I suggested did work for me, so I fail to see how I am being naive when I am speaking from personal experience. How have i demonstrated that I do not know what I am talking about when I am speaking from personal experience?

Maybe my suggestions don't work for everybody, but they certainly work for some people and should certainly be tried before using antidepressants. anti depressants should be a last resort and even then there is no guarantee that they will help and in many cases actually make the person feel even worse. This forum is loaded with people who have tried anti depressants that made them feel worse.

its unfair to suggest that I'm a total idiot just because those things didn't work for you or that guy on here with anger management problems or your mother.

16. PB_Smith

Because it is exactly that, your personal experience, but then you extrapolate from that and think the same should or does apply to everyone else, it doesn't. You also made statements that you doubted that people were born depressed or with mental illness and that just because someone's parent may have had problems, doesn't mean they will. Nobody anywhere said that, but there is such a thing as genetic predisposition to certain traits, whether it be red hair and green eyes or bi-polar mood disorder. You see the difference there?

I agree for some people non-pharmaceutical means may work, and everything you mentioned are good things to incorporate into a treatment regimen.
    I never said you were an idiot and any such opinions I may or may not have about you are solely based upon the words that you typed and posted, not on whether I agree with you. I disagree with you because you are wrong in some of the comments you have made regarding mental health. You tend to keep wanting to ascribe thoughts and words to me that I have not said nor expressed.

17. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

This thread is full of rofl waffles.

I gotta say though....I agree with both sides. Some mental/emotional disorder can be treated by healthy living, but sometimes it's just too severe to be treated by anything but medication.

18. liquidacrobat

liquidacrobat Member

There's a powerful statement!

I think the etiology of severe psychological distress, whether thought, mood, or anxiety or mixed, is often multifactorial. The distress lies along a continuum and sometimes, as above, pretty much stays at one end of the continuum. In other situations the distress and the responses to it vary over time and through circumstances within the same person. Etiology, experience, and treatment are complex and easy or all-inclusive answers are to be resisted.

That's a far-out tree Meliai.

19. IveBeenThere2

IveBeenThere2 Member

:boxing_smiley:

:leaving:

:tree: :sifone:

20. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

That is up for a jury of their 'peers' to decide. That is a limited amount of information you have given me.

I do think if a paranoid schizophrenic is peeling flesh off his own skin or an individual with severe ocd won't come out of her room for days on end because they feel outside is 'contanimated,' they should probably get some help and I'm guessing some heavy medication (pharma or illicit) would be a good first step, and then possibly some sort of intensive guided therapy, and then who knows maybe the wii fit will help on top of the other treatments.