state your clinical disorders!

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by Magical mystery tourguide, Jan 25, 2011.

1. IveBeenThere2

IveBeenThere2 Member

jeez i guess so my god lol

2. SoulVibrations

SoulVibrations celestial viator

well yea, everyone has their own views, like i have never had any real mental problems that have affected my life, so my views would likely offend someone like say my mother, and actually they have before, who is bi-polar/maniac depressive. She takes her meds, feels fine then stops taking her meds and is all over the place then really fucking depressed over seemingly nothing. This cycling was way worse with out her meds though.

3. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

My aim exactly. Apparently, since I'm such a 'whiny little bitch', I might as well start acting like one. :love:

4. SoulVibrations

SoulVibrations celestial viator

Luck you, there is a whole forum for just that..:p

5. PB_Smith

PB_Smith Huh? What? Who, me?

Wow, I can't begin to tell you how utterly WRONG you are. Research into depression has pretty much ended the debate and it has been shown unequivocally to be the result of chemical imbalances and has a very strong genetic component. I'm not talking about the "blues" or situational depression that everyone encounters from time to time. I'm talking about real clinical depression. Sure the farmer would go out and work in the fields all day and then go home and blow his brains out with a shotgun because he was suffering from clinical depression, it just wasn't publicized or talked about.

Now I grew up with a mother who was diagnosed as suffering from severe bipolar disorder and was diagnosed when she was about 16. I have seen first hand the periods of mania when she didn't sleep for a week and would go on outlandish escapades and crazy behavior. I also got to see the effects of 6 attempted suicides, one of which landed her in the hospital for six months when she took every medication in the house.

I've lived it and seen it first hand. You really have no idea at all what your talking about. Maybe you should go and educate yourself on the topic before you continue to make remarks such as you have been.

I will say as I've said before, I'm astonished at the number of young people here at HF that are taking all types of meds. GB is right, the shit is being way over diagnosed and meds handed out like candy. I know there are some like my mother who are truly suffering and need it, but I also believe mental disorders are far to over diagnosed. I partly blame the fact that pharmaceutical company's now advertise their latest and greatest potions on TV.
    Little Betty Sue is watching her soaps and some commercial comes on with a laundry list of symptoms that this little pill will fix and says to herself "Wow, thats sounds just like me" and off to the doc for a prescription she goes. Hand in hand with that is the fact of the "percs" and kickbacks docs get from they pharmaceutical Co's to promote and prescribe a certain pill.

Oh, and Meliai, if a person can be born blind or deformed in some manner, why do find it hard to believe that a person could be born with an abnormal brain chemistry that leads to mental illness?

Plus if you have any doubts about the degree that brain chemistry can effect a person, go take 800 micrograms of LSD and then we'll talk brain chemistry, OK.

Let me also add that , as many here will attest to, using MDMA often results in a period of depression a day or two later. Why? Because of depleted Dopamine and depression is one of the symptoms of that depletion. So why is so inconceivable to you that somebody could be born with a system that does not produce enough dopamine thereby resulting in ....clinical depression.
    Your ideas on the subject really are about a 40 years behind the medical research. Like I said, go educate yourself about it.

6. Magical mystery tourguide

Magical mystery tourguide Senior Member

I don't take any medications for my disorders - in fact I hate calling them disorders but rather everybody's brain is shaped differently.

ill agree with you on the pharmaceutical industry mainly being a crock of shit (but not always), my psychiatrist scripted me lyrica for axiety and back pain - 300mg a day for 5 months got me so fucked up to the point where I wasn't able to remember what I was thinking 10 seconds before, along with extreme depersonalization and depression. I went cold turkey off of it which sucked but even 2 days later my memory and cognition is definitely returning.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

you need to calm down. You neg repped me and called me a fucking idiot instead of offering me intelligent debate so I did the same to you. I don't know you nor do I care about you so there's really no reason to take me or my opinions personally. Also, I'm not an idiot just because I disagree with you.

I know what clinical depression is. I'm also aware of the effects of bipolar disorder. I've lived and seen it all firsthand as well. One of my best friends was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at a pretty young age and was placed on various different medication, none of which helped and most of which made it much, much worse. I am not arguing that these disorders do not exist,I am not arguing that brain chemistry does not effect a person - when did I ever say that? I am simply stating that modern medicine is not always the only answer. I have been around mental disorders and I have arrived at a different conclusion than you.

8. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

I didn't call you an idiot because I disagree with you, as I disagree with plenty people on here and you are perhaps the second person I have EVER neg rep'ped. I gave you negative rep because you are an idiot. Maybe this is a little harsh, but when I read what you say, the one thing that I instantly think of is HIV/AIDS deny-ers.

9. PB_Smith

Thats where you said it. Really no other way to interpret your words.

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I feel quite confident that my IQ is higher than yours. I have a book written by a doctor that studied AIDs for many years...he makes a great case if you want to borrow it :)

11. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

I am fairly confident that my IQ could be higher than yours :)

Also, I'm not relating AIDS to mental disorders, I'm simply saying that it is what you made me think of. If your IQ was as high as mine, you would have realized. :)

Please refer to PB's post right before you posted what you said for your +1. :)

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

You could interpret it to mean exactly what it means, that I believe external stimuli can contribute to brain chemistry balance or lack thereof.

13. PB_Smith

Yeah, but I doubt it's higher than mine, and I tend to agree with her opinion. You don't know what your talking about, or at the very least you're confusing occasional depression that everyone, such as yourself, experiences, with real clinical depression

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I was well aware of what you meant by the AIDs comment, thanks.

15. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

:(

What you 'believe' begs to differ with real, clinical, tangible evidence and science about mental disorders and the chemical make-up of a living brain.

16. PB_Smith

http://www.healthyplace.com/depression/main/causes-of-depression/menu-id-68/
    Genetic Factors
    Scientists believe genetic factors play a role in some depressions. Researchers are hopeful, for instance, that they are closing in on genetic markers for susceptibility to manic-depressive disorder.
    Recent genetic research also supports earlier studies reporting family links in depression. For example, if one identical twin suffers from depression or manic-depressive disorder, the other twin has a 70 percent chance of also having the illness. Other studies that looked at the rate of depression among adopted children supported this finding. Depressive illnesses among adoptive family members had little effect on a child's risk of depression; however, the disorder was three times more common among adopted children whose biological relatives suffered depression.
    Biological Causes
    Additional research data indicate that people suffering from depression have imbalances of neurotransmitters, natural substances that allow brain cells to communicate with one another. Two transmitters implicated in depression are serotonin and norepinephrine. Scientists think a deficiency in serotonin may cause the sleep problems, irritability, and anxiety associated with depression. Likewise, a decreased amount of norepinephrine, which regulates alertness and arousal, may contribute to the fatigue and depressed mood of the illness.
    Other body chemicals also may be altered in depressed people. Among them is cortisol, a hormone that the body produces in response to stress, anger, or fear. In normal people the level of cortisol in the bloodstream peaks in the morning, then decreases as the day progresses. In depressed people, however, cortisol peaks earlier in the morning and does not level off or decrease in the afternoon or evening.
    Researchers don't know if these imbalances cause the disease or if the illness gives rise to the imbalances. They do know that cortisol levels will increase in anyone who must live with long-term stress.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I know exactly what clinical depression. I was depressed for over a solid year and kept lapsing back into it a few months at a time for the following year. I struggled with depression. I never took medication. That was my point from the beginning, that medication is not absolutely necessary for depression or anxiety, something I suffered from the time I hit puberty until maybe 4 years ago.

18. deleted

deleted Visitor

Are Genius and Madness Related? Contemporary Answers to an Ancient Question

By Dean Keith Simonton, Ph.D. | May 31, 2005

First, although highly creative individuals tend to exhibit elevated scores on certain psychopathological symptoms, their scores are seldom so high as to represent bona fide psychopathology. Instead, the scores lie somewhere between the normal and abnormal ranges (Barron, 1963; Eysenck, 1995). For example, although successful writers score higher than normals on most clinical scales of the MMPI, and highly creative writers score higher still, scores for both groups remain below those received by individuals who are psychotic (Figure). At these moderate levels, the individual will possess traits that can actually be considered adaptive from the standpoint of creative behavior. For instance, higher than average scores on psychoticism are associated with independence and nonconformity, features that lend support to innovative activities (Eysenck, 1995). In addition, elevated scores on psychoticism are associated with the capacity for defocused attention (e.g., reduced negative priming and latent inhibition), thereby enabling ideas to enter the mind that would normally be filtered out during information processing (Eysenck, 1993). This less restrictive mode of information processing is also associated with openness to experience, a cognitive inclination that is positively associated with creativity (Peterson and Carson, 2000; Peterson et al., 2002).
    Second, creative individuals score high on other characteristics that would seem to dampen the effects of any psychopathological symptoms. In particular, creators display high levels of ego strength and self-sufficiency (Barron, 1963; Cattell and Butcher, 1968). Accordingly, they can exert meta-cognitive control over their symptoms, taking advantage of bizarre thoughts, rather than having the bizarre thoughts take advantage of them. Furthermore, the capacity to exploit unusual ideas is supported by general intelligence. Although intelligence is not correlated with creativity in the upper levels of the intelligence distribution, a certain minimal level of intelligence is required for exceptional creativity (Simonton, 2000). That threshold level is in the gifted range, roughly equivalent to an IQ 120. Creators do not necessarily have genius-grade IQs, but they do have sufficient information processing power to select, develop, elaborate and refine original ideas into creative contributions.
    Theoretical Interpretation
    Do these results imply that creativity and psychopathology are intimately connected? Are genius and madness tantamount to the same thing? The answer to the first question is affirmative, but the response to the second is negative. The affirmation comes from the fact that various indicators of mental health appear to be negatively associated with creative achievement. This fact is demonstrated by historiometric, psychiatric and psychometric sources. The negation emerges from the equally crucial reality that few creative individuals can be considered truly mentally ill. Indeed, outright psychopathology usually inhibits rather than helps creative expression.
    Even more significant is the fact that a very large proportion of creators exhibit no pathological symptoms, at least not to any measurable degree. Hence, psychopathology is by no means a sine qua non of creativity. Instead, it is probably more accurate to say that creativity shares certain cognitive and dispositional traits with specific symptoms, and that the degree of that commonality is contingent on the level and type of creativity that an individual displays. To be more specific, the relationship can be expressed as follows.
    In general, creativity requires the cognitive ability and the dispositional willingness to "think outside the box"; to explore novel, unconventional and even odd possibilities; to be open to serendipitous events and fortuitous results; and to imagine the implausible or consider the unlikely. From this requirement arises the need for creators to have such traits as defocused attention, divergent thinking, openness to experience, independence and nonconformity. Let us call this complex configuration of traits the "creativity cluster."
    The higher the level of creativity displayed, the higher the likelihood that the individual manifests this cluster. In addition, some domains require this cluster more than others do. For instance, scientific creativity tends to be more constrained by logic and fact than artistic creativity. Accordingly, this creativity cluster of attributes will be more apparent in artists than in scientists (Simonton, 2004). However, there will be some differences even with each of these general domains. For example, artists operating in formal, classical or academic styles will operate under more constraints than artists working in more expressive, subjective or romantic styles (Ludwig, 1998). The extent to which they exhibit the creativity cluster will reflect this stylistic contrast.
    Because some psychopathological symptoms correlate with several of the characteristics making up the creativity cluster, moderate amounts of these symptoms will be positively associated with creative behavior. Moreover, more creative individuals will display these traits to a higher degree. Creators operating in less-constrained domains will also exhibit these symptoms to a greater extent.
    \
    https://member.cmpmedica.com/cga.ph...79EE-32BF-4723-9061-D071121B47B3&rememberme=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCMHmDnfD6I"]YouTube - Pink Floyd- The Trial

19. Meliai

Meliai Banned

how does it differ? I have never seen a study which proved that environmental factors do not affect the mind at all.

20. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

I challenge you to find a study in which it is the only thing.