Starting plants indoors then moving outdoors.

Discussion in 'Cannabis Outdoors' started by ghost of rat, Aug 11, 2011.

1. ghost of rat

ghost of rat Senior Member

Hi

I wanted to know from some experienced outdoor growers or knowledgeable people about moving plants from indoors to outdoors.

I know moving a half growing plant outdoors will seriously shock/damage it, but I have also read about people germinating their seeds indoors, and growing the plants indoors for a few weeks until they are big enough to take care of themselves in the wild.

I have found a nice patch of abandoned scrub land next to an old quarry that would be perfect for an outdoor grow. I really want to start my crop early (i live in the southern hemisphere) thats why I want to know if moving plants from indoors to outdoors is worth while?

I plan to use a combination of CLF and LEDs after germination for 3 weeks, or until the plant is just under a foot tall, then move them to my site.

Do you think this is a good idea?

2. Nath0rigin

Nath0rigin Guest

No expert on cannabis plants here. But personally I would germinate them inside, and move them outside when weather allows, or just before the morning starts, to let them get used to the outdoor lifestyle.

3. mikeyman

mikeyman Member

gee i veged the plants inside till they were about 2 ft. then i put them in the spring sun and they flowerd.It works great..I use the cfl's .Very cheep and the plant seem to like the light

4. Black Cat

Black Cat Guest

before moving try to introduce them to the "outdoor" gradually. For 3-7 days take them to the window (and then balcony if you can) for short periods at first, and make them loonger as you se the plants geting used to natural light. This is one method I personaly tried and worked. The plant shouldn't be youger than 3 weeks for this move.

I have herd of anothar way (a stress way) did not tried it: keep the plant for 24-48 h with no light and then move them outside, they should be hungry for light and do well.

Also, when moving them outside, use some fertelizer to ease the process (organic is the best way to go, but usual green plats fertilizer is also OK if you don't abuse it)
    NOTE: No K (potasium) fertelizer should be used in the flowering period ;)

sorry for any spelling mistakes ;)

5. mikeyman

mikeyman Member

i just put mine out there and they did ok but that was in summer .I have 2 more veging inside i don't know if i should put them out or what.I don't think i have the light power to flower them inside

6. Rocklobster

Rocklobster Senior Member

that's just wrong mj with need potassium throughout its life cycle its a major player in plant health and the transport of vital sugar's.

7. Black Cat

Black Cat Guest

It may be so, but it also alters the taste. When growing outdoor my guess is you want that special flavor in it also, right?

I grew some indoor and used K fertelize, one of my first grow, all was good, had big bushy plants. One "experienced" grower told me to stop useing K fertelizer after flowering... so I did - didn't do much research. Future plants were outdoor, so I can't honestly say if it's so or not - don't want to start a "I know best" dispute cuz it's not the case :)

8. Rocklobster

there's as many ways to grow it as there are growers. lacking potassium tends to grow leggy plants with brittle stems.
    think most chemical fertilizer can taint the flavour with k,n being the worst offenders so normally the grower would starve there plants for the last 1-2 weeks before harvest.

yep agree there's no case and point its all good old debate and opinions.

9. Black Cat

Black Cat Guest

Did some research, you are right regarding sugar transport ;)
    Will keep that in mind next time, trying to grow t5 for the first time :)

10. vinnie kaz

vinnie kaz Banned

Acclimating the plants to outdoor light, wind, and temperature conditions after they have been growing indoors is known as "hardening off". Take a plant from an indoor grow room, and thrust it out into the bright, summer sun, and the leaves will be bleached white in hours by the UV.

The easiest way is to leave the plants in their original containers, and simply place them outside, on the north (shady) side of a garden shed, a clump of bushes, garden wall, etc. Whatever can provide them with complete shade from the sun for a few days.

After three or four days, move the plants so that the sun hits them for an hour or two. After another three days, the plants can be transplanted directly into the bright sunshine with little fear of damage. Have patience, give them about a week total. When they are moved into the sunlight, they will explode with growth! :xmastree:

The plants can be stashed in tall grass, at the base of a tree, or along a fenceline, while they harden off, and no one will ever see them.

Good Luck

Vinnie Kaz

11. mikeyman

mikeyman Member

I HAD Mine indoor 24 hours cfls ..then put them out and they did ok.

12. ezpatterson1169

ezpatterson1169 Guest

in my experience it can be very good to start plants inside before spring. It can make the dif between 6 pounders and 8-10lb monsters. Just be sure to harden them off well. They get weak being inside so long.

13. Rocklobster

would have to agree with that seen a few that have been grow under lights and taken out for the late spring/summer.

14. wannabe free angus73

wannabe free angus73 Member

I never had any luck trying to replant them, if your not buying the seeds, just go to the patch and toss them around. check back in a couple days. I just cant tell male from female until its to late :(

15. Bud D

Bud D Member

Moving plants through miles of woods in a box sucks. I think I have moved some in a backpack, but you just devise protection.

Walmart sells a pop up seed starting greenhouse, it has a bottom from the pics. I would use these. The worst part of starting outside is nothing other than a later date for germ. Digging holes and being secretive is the biggest hurdle.

16. Bud D

Bud D Member

Actually, bringing fill soil for the holes is the hardest.