Starting new dreads + question about length

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by Annie Anxiety, Feb 16, 2009.

1. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Lol, perhaps if you could have explained this to my mother twenty or so years ago you could have saved a lot of really tedious conversations :p

2. Callie4Strings

Callie4Strings Official Spokes Bitch

Love Crass!!!!!!!!! Been a huge Crass fan for hell 18 years I suppose. My punk roots will never fade!
    I'm thinking about working there again this summer. I would rather work with dogs and cats than people.....no shit.

3. amybird

amybird Senior Member

I always think those signs on shops should say "Dogs Only" rather than "No Dogs" :D

4. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

OP if you're going to do the natural method I would trim it down a little to cut down on headache. With that much hair I really would do something more controlled. Also is there any possible chance you'll be getting into a more controlled area of work? If so you're going to want to start out with a more controlled look. Natural dreads take a good long while to look like anything resembling neat and if you go back to a more professional line of work before then......how would that work out?

5. soaringeagle

soaringeagle Senior Member

i disagree ..they CAN take a lomg time in certain hair types..especialy short hair..or very oily hair

her hair though locks overnight.. and if she controlls the natural process with ripping and or beads her dreads will be tight in no time and looking awesome
    also disagree about the cutting
    1st off shes already got the weight and is used to it so to imply that the weight will be an idssue if she goes natural makes zero sence, that also implies that the same weight issue wont be an issue if u backcomb..again nonsence

the longer the hair when going natural the faster it will mature so trimming will make it go slower again goinbg against your argument asbout wanting to look good fast

my dresads started short and looked great in just weeks
    hers being so long will absolutely dread fast as possible..pain and dammage free
    the length is the greatest asset to the natural process

if she did that experiment lewaving 1 section unbraided she will already see a dread forming
    and by this time next month it will be tight and well formed, looking beautiful

all you can dop to be sure though is try a test dread..or 2 or 3.. underneath outta sight start 1 with just beads.. then spend 10 hours backcombing a single dread (take pain killers ..it will hurt) and sopend maybe 3 hours twist n ripping another (again may hurt since u are pulling hair but less so))
    give each dread 3 weeks and 3 washings and see if the painless 1 doesnt dread pretty close to as fasdt as the rest..but healthier

6. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

I've had about enough out of you. First of all your whole post is nonsense. Spellcheck IS your friend, your typing is not. It makes you appear unintelligent. (And maybe you are.)

If you're going to rip and twist, or palmroll or something like that it's going to be easier on shoulder length hair vs. thigh length hair. It's less to do. Especially since her hair is really thick. No matter how short it is it's going to take her a little longer than someone with the same length but a thinner texture.

And on average natural dreads take the longest to look neat and mature. Yes they'll form fast but it won't be neat. If there's any chance she's going back into the professional world it's something to consider.

We can't all be like you and live on the internet. Some of us have to work for a living.

7. Annie Anxiety

Annie Anxiety Member

Please, let's not argue! It turns my stomach.

beautifulwarrior- I have thought about the "professional implications" of dreadlocks. I don't think this is an issue for me. I work with animals, and plan to do so for as long as it takes me to start making enough money from my writing. My employer (and previous employers in this profession) doesn't care about my hair, piercings, tattoos, etc. Plus, if I'm qualified to do a job and someone denies me that opportunity based on my appearance alone, I don't want to work for them. I was raised on a self-subsistence farm, and will one day return to that lifestyle anyway. No worries. :)

Also, please don't bash people's spelling. I have a neurological problem, and sometimes I have problems typing and seeing (and spelling). As long as I can read it, it's all good in my eyes.

I've been reading a lot of negativity on this forum. There are enough positive things to keep me here, but perhaps we should all remember the Thumper Rule? "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

Back on topic, I left my hair down last night with little to no tangles in the morning. It was chilly however (I don't have heat or AC as it's Florida and I can't afford it anyway). It seems to be my sweat that makes the most knots. I shall keep trying. It's sure to heat up soon.

Should I do anything to degunk my hair beforehand? Would that help? I only ever wash it with Dr. Bronner's anyway, but I've heard conflicting things about that. Maybe a good soak in vinegar or salt water? Go to the beach?

8. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

*smh*

Whatever.

*edit* If the only issue you see is my talking about his spelling that's your choice. He was overly rude because I disagreed with him. He's ALWAYS like that and I for one have had enough of his asshole, poke the bear with a stick and then cry about it mentality. If me refusing to deal with his crap turns your stomach that's your business.

9. Annie Anxiety

Annie Anxiety Member

The only issue I chose to get involved in was the issue of spelling. I saw other issues. I chose to ignore. :)

I'm not going to fight with anyone over silly things, especially people I just met. If you choose your battles wisely you have the strength to fight the important ones with everything you've got.

10. Annie Anxiety

Annie Anxiety Member

I'd really like some more opinions on this subject. Is backcombing really that bad? And should I do the saltwater? I live right by the beach, but would bacteria possibly get in there? The beach isn't so clean around here.

11. White Snow

White Snow Member

I think backcombing is a great way to give your dreads a head start. Some people just prefer the natural/neglect method, but if you want/need your dreads to get that head start backcombing is a great natural way to do it. Just stay clear of any wax and such. The beach would be great for your dreads i think, let them dry out in the sun (if you got any) and that should definitely help them lock up nice and tight. I think water is too salty to be concerned with bacteria, unless the water is really bad.
    Again, this is just my opinion

12. Annie Anxiety

Annie Anxiety Member

I'm not really concerned about starting them faster, I just know from experience that my hair CLUMPS. Big time. If I get really sweaty while I sleep I'm afraid I'll have a mess I can't undo. I just wonder if backcombing could save me from that a little. Like backcomb, palmroll, put on bead, sleep. Maybe?

And I wouldn't use wax. I did when I was backcombing other people's hair for a while, and then came to the conclusion that it was gross.

I had a friend at one point that wanted a dread mullet. He had a full head of dreads, and even though I found the whole thing tragic I agreed to cut off the ones in front and sew them to the ones in back with clear dental floss. He'd been waxing them every week for a couple of years (and didn't have the greatest personal hygiene). When I cut them off the middle of each one was filled with wax and MOLD.

13. soaringeagle

i think i love you hehe youve got a great personality and outlook
    and yea i have severe nerve dammage as well assleep deprivatuion tht affects my spelling
    and personaly i think its what u say not how well u spell it that matters if u come off with an assholish or bitchy attiturde and attaxck instead of converse it doesnt matter how wrll u spell u still come off as nssty

sea salt is amazing for helpomng knots form
    and it dries the hair , but u should at least rince it to get oit any fishy smelling bacteria
    the salt does its work quickly and doesnt hafta stay in the hair long
    if u use bronners do u dilute it enough?
    u may try a deep cleanse tio remove buildup vinagar strips buildup too but can leave the hair very soft and moisturized..better to do it rare to combat over dryness at 1st till theyre forming
    i really think beads are the best option at this poiint..or rings (just a band nothing to snag hairs) i like those rings made of stone hematyte amythest guaetz rose quartz and so on
    but u can choose anything u want
    it would be a cryimg shame to cut it as your going to loose alotta length anyway as it locks..possiblty shrinking to 1/3 the lrength it is now

another way to control it and get it gouing.. tie a lil knot in the end of each secvtion..wash it shake it out real good ..after its dry tuck it into a wool tam
    after several hours take it off and seperate tghe sections to make sure they havent eatten eachother

14. soaringeagle

what do u do with animals?
    my dear freind mystique and i planned on opening a wildlife rescue shes worked with injured sea lions and i believe with retired circus elephants returning them to the wild and stuff
    and ive always been good with animals (useed to have a fox that lived with me, and at 1 point 4 racoons..and have been able to pet a wil;d skunk (luckily didnt get sprayed,.,hehe)
    and just always used to have alotta critters..a zoo almost
    but notw just have my weirdo cat..i miss my zoo
    i grew up near a shootinmg range thst had pidgeon shoots all the time so almost weekly wed be nursing injured pidgeons back to health as well as seaguls turkeys turtles snakes galoree..u name it
    my parents never liked it much but there wasnt aloty they could do about it i always had some poor injured critter i was taking care of

15. Annie Anxiety

Annie Anxiety Member

Why's your cat weird?

I work at an animal hospital in the kennel. Most of my job is bathing dogs and walking dogs. I also take care of cats, and take shifts in the medical part of the hospital when someone's out sick (changing IV bags and taking x-rays and such). And of course, I clean up a lot of poo. They don't pay me very much, so I have side businesses as pet sitter, dog trainer, and tutor (for children). And freelance writer, but that doesn't earn me much money. Yet.

I have two weird cats. One is Uber Cat (she's feral, and her real name is Sylvie Sue). I found her in college all sick and skinny and kept her. The other is What's a Cat? (his real name's Sal Paradise). I got him at work from a client that found him and didn't know what to do with him. He was only a week or two old, so I had to bottle feed him and all that jazz. Sylvie doesn't like him much, so he grew up around my dog (Ignu), and acts more like a dog than a cat. I also have a fish named Lenore and a leopard gecko named Saddam. And I live with (well, rent an efficiency from) my parents, who have dogs named Atlas and Mei-Mei, and cats named Cosmo, Vida, and Minerva. Yes, it's quite a zoo here! We had a tame raccoon named Jerry that went in and out for years, but he passed quite some time ago. I liked him.

I'm not sure if I dilute the Bronners as it says on the bottle, eleven to one, is it? I just give a little squirt into an empty water bottle and fill it up. I'm thinking that's a bit more diluted? It works well, anyway.

See, shrinkage is what scares me. That's why I don't want to cut! I doubt I'm going to, barring some catastrophe, like that time my friend lit half her head on fire spinning poi with dry hair.

I'm supposed to have a half day at work tomorrow. That doesn't always come to pass, but if it does I'm going to the beach!

16. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

i backcombed on monday to give my hair a start.. as yet ive had no problems, some are a bit loose, but thats to be expected. its all a personal thing. you wanna backcomb, then go ahead and do it. if youd rather try the natural/neglect route, then go for it. no one can bash you for it, its your head =]

17. Callie4Strings

Hey Annie!
    Seems like to me with your length and your job, your best bet would be to section and backcomb. That much hair...and working in a hot smelly work environment. You will be wearing your hair up alot right? I dunno, I didnt go the natural method, but seems only right that running your fingers through your hair for updos might hinder the natural process a little. No????? Just a thought.

18. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

Callie brings up a good point. It'll most likely be ignored but it's a very very good point.

19. Callie4Strings

Its okay..I'm use to being ignored....or misinterpreted :)

20. hellodreadhead

hellodreadhead Beta as fuck

I LOVE animals I have two cats, Milkshake and Mitzy. They love to talk to me. Mitzy's my forever kitten she's just so small and I have an awesome 6 month old German Shepherd puppy called Shadow. I'd love to become a GSD breeder. Shadow's showing a lot of potential and I'd love to show him.