Starting my hair journey (Questions??)

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by SatoriS00, Feb 7, 2009.

1. SatoriS00

SatoriS00 Member

Hey Guys,

So heres my story, I shaved my head for as long as I can remember, I have very thick hair and used to shave every week or so for the past 10 years. Last year I decided to grow my hair, it has been around 14 months. My hair turned out to be quite curly, it makes loops that would stretch to twice or three times their length….
    I’ve always wanted to get dreads, and I spent some time researching the process and what I need to do, but that last two weeks or so I became really obsessed with dreadlocks, like thinking about them in bed and shit!!! Almost like an addiction… So I sat down yesterday, went through the why I want to get them and stuff, and I know exactly why I want to get dreadlocks, I know it takes time, and I slightly know what sort of effects my hair would have on society ☺. Anyways, so I sat down, and decided to start the process, I didn’t want anyone to do it for me!! I am not going to use any wax or chemicals, only an all natural soap… I wanted the process to be very natural, but I also wanted to arrange or influence my hair at the start to give it a form or guideline!!! I had two mirrors set up so I could see my back, put some awesome chill music and started an almost spiritual process, first I sectioned my head into about 60 sections, and I just twisted my hair, no backcomb no rip no crochet needle or anything, it took me about 6 hours to get my hair sectioned and twisted, and it was really annoying at some points when working with the back of my head, but I really wanted a connection with my dreads to be, and I made every single one of them with my own hands, and already have a special connection… I will try and post some pictures for you guys to see… here are some questions I have if you guys can help!!!
    Is what I did right to start dreads, will it ever dread if I just twist them?
    Should I use a crochet needle or any other process to help them lock?
    I am thinking about not showering my hair for a month or so, im gonna keep clean though ☺ is there a natural product you would recommend?
    Is there anything you guys do when going to sleep?
    Is there such a thing as curly dreads??
    I have them tied at the base with rubber bands? Any thought on this? Should I keep them this way?
    I have to keep twisting them, is it bad for the hair?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks you guys, peace to all

2. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

take the bands out... and just wash ur hair with a residue free shampoo and a sea salt water and lemon juice mixture... and jus wait when it starts to dread u will see it... jus keep em seperated and u will have dreads in time... jus be patient with them..
    as far as the twisting i dont think thats gobnna help at all... u can crochet them but then u have to continue to do so..

3. whitemarley90

whitemarley90 Member

any pics??

4. SatoriS00

SatoriS00 Member

ya i posted some, you cant see them?? check my album and let me know if you cant see that either ill figure something to show you guys??
    thanks

5. amybird

amybird Senior Member

This won't be the best set of answers, and I know there will be better responses from the more experienced people on here. But here's my input:

All hair will dread eventually, so I guess the answer is more-or-less yes (but also kinda no :p )

Don't crochet. But seeing as you have put all that time and effort into sectioning and twisting, you might consider taking it one step further into the twist-and-rip method.

I am thinking about not showering my hair for a month or so, im gonna keep clean though ☺ is there a natural product you would recommend?
    Use Dr. Bronners soap. Washing your hair and keeping it clean will help it dread. Oil and dirt, or substances left by a non-residue-free shampoo will all make the knots slidey and less secure.

Dream, maybe snore. You could try wearing a woolly hat as that would help knottings ;)

Probably... :confused:

I have them tied at the base with rubber bands? Any thought on this? Should I keep them this way?

Take the rubber bands off again, and just make sure you keep pulling the sections apart at the base after washing etc to make sure they don't all grow into one fatty dread.

Maybe not bad for the hair as such....bad for your shoulders maybe ;) I think you should definitely consider just taking it to the twist-and-rip method stage, then you will be making the most of this hard work and time you've put in, and reduce any further effort you have to make.

6. SatoriS00

SatoriS00 Member

Should I use beads to keep my hair separated… cause I don’t feel too good about the bands in my hair and will take them out today, but im thinking about putting beads for a week or so…. Any thoughts? And about the sea salt water and lemon juice, how often should I do it?

7. amybird

amybird Senior Member

You could put in a few beads here and there if you want. You will have to get used to your dreads just doing what they want though. A bead in every dread may not be that comfortable.. I dunno. Personally I'd take out the bands and just separate any overlapping base hairs after each wash. You could do the salt thing with each wash. Mind your scalp on it though.

8. amybird

amybird Senior Member

Anything you are unsure of, do a search for it in this forum, and see what threads it brings up. Everything you need to know will be here somewhere!

9. SatoriS00

SatoriS00 Member

thanks Amy, really helpful...
    It was hard work, but I enjoyed it very much :)

10. amybird

amybird Senior Member

You will get everyone else putting in their helpful views here before long I'm sure :)
    Remember that dreads are a natural state for hair to be in. If you just washed your hair and did nothing else, you would eventually get dreadlocks. So make sure you chill and don't make it tooo much hard work :)

11. Smelly D

Smelly D The Dreaded Plumber

i separated my hair into bits, but then i backcombed them. i think what youve done is good to start them off, it might not have been necessary, but no harm done =]

i have no experience with a crochet needle and dreads, so im not ganna answer =]

washing of the hair is goooooooooood. lots of people will recommend dr bronners, some say just use baking soda with tea tree oil, some make their own teas etc.. its a personal choice. i used knotty boy shampoo bar

people will say to wear a wool tam or something,, i never did. but i never had one, so that might be why

yup

take the bands out, theyre not really needed. if the hairs at the root start to grow together, rip them apart (if thats what you want to do). beads help keep the sections, or wraps, or peyote stitches and things

it might cause the roots to get loose/damaged, so id refrain from this while theyre young =]

the pics youve posted look good. i presume your hair will knot up quite nicely and quickly and easily =]

12. SatoriS00

SatoriS00 Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help… I took the rubber bands out, I only had them for one night, feels so much better now ☺
    I know I didn’t need to do what I did but in very happy with my hair, and now I am not going to do anything else, just keep it clean and let it do its own thing after my initial involvement… here is a pic of my hair now…
    Just let me know what you think, and I would love any advise…
    Peace
    [​IMG]

13. SatoriS00

SatoriS00 Member

You can see my shaved head in the back :)

14. Mabster

Mabster Member

Looking better already!
    Bet your head feels free after taking the bands out?