Starting a vegie garden for beginners.

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by Bilby, May 12, 2020.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Gardening is a sharing thing. You share your produce, your saved seeds, ideas and experiences.That is why gardeners are such nice people. I find the idea of gardening competitions to be daft.
    The classic mistake people make with gardening is to fuss over their plants and ignore the soil. Instead fuss over the soil.

Take on a mindset of soil being a precious commodity.It is the keystone to successful gardening.

What you want is dark moist crumbs of soil. Generally the darker the soil , the higher the bacterial activity. If it is a bit sticky , you need to fork in gypsum. You can buy it in bags,but it is cheaper if you buy it loose. I have seen people buy cheap potting mix to overcome the problem of sticky soil. It will work, but is an expensive way of doing things.
    If you have poor ( light colored) soil that lacks moisture holding ability, coir is a good way to improve things. A coir brick is made from coconut husks. Soak the coir brick in a bucket of water over night. It will disintegrate and fill up the whole bucket.
    Unless you are growing garlic, onion, leaks or any other member of the lily family, then blood & bone fertilizer is the go. For growing plants of the lily family either go for well composted soil or a liquid one made from dead fish.
    Tools. You don't have to always buy new. Garage sales and FB Buy & Sale pages can be good. A broken wooden handle can be replaced.
    Never plant old seeds. A waste of time and effort.
    Garden shredders are a waste of money . Just use a mower with a catcher.
    A couple of tools that are not so well known but can be good for a beginner are a moisture probe and a pH probe. These look a bit like a meat thermometer.If you cannot find any for sale at a bricks & mortar store then you should find them on E-bay.
    Planting.
    Note in a cooler climate zone you will need four hours of direct sunlight to grow vegetables. The exception is rhubarb that likes the shade. So you have dug up you soil. To start with buy in seedlings. I will get to growing from seeds later on. Make a depression in the soil. Carefully remove the container and gently tease around the roots. Place the seedling in the depression and cover around with soil. Sprinkle a bit of fertilizer and water with a watering can.
    Mulch. I only use mulch in summer time. In winter I figure that mulch prevents the soil heating up.
    As far as gardening books go,you need one written for you country.I like the Yates Garden Guide.

2. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

We have been gardening several years, but are not expert. Now that we are retired we want to grow and freeze or can more. Only use organic fertilizer. Might do ph test, but we have always had nice garden when we get needed rain fall, last couple of years has been bad, but this year we will water if necessary.

3. Aswwe

Aswwe Newbie

I really plan to start taking more care of the garden this spring. More precisely, so far I only have a backyard and free space there, but I want to make a beautiful garden. I began to read more about how to properly care for plants and when I need to start working on it, for example, in articles on this site. I want to plant and grow vegetables and fruit trees.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Tman58 likes this.
  4. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

This is the first year we used a garden seed planter. Thing is sweet corn is close together, When planting by hand, we planted 12 inches. Planter has them 3-4 inches apart. I know we will have to thin the plants. Is it best to thin at 2-3 inches height' or sooner? Thanks for any and all help.

5. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

That's true about the soil - it's precious. In the fall I rake the leaves onto the soil and dig them in.

6. Tman58

Tman58 Senior Member

Hi, I don't know about corn but I plant carrots and thin them out when they're about an inch. I should plant them at the proper distance to start to avoid having to thin them. I'm no expert.

jimandjan likes this.
  7. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I'm learning about gardening since retiring. Still lots to learn and with Covid, I spend lots to time caring for plants. For carrots I buy them on a tape spaced right distance apart, a little more money, but those little seed are a pain.

8. Varmint

Varmint Member

I had a garden years ago. Never used fertilizers or chemicals, as I didn't want that bad taste in my food. I dumped my leaves and grass trimmings into separate bins and mixed each 50/50 into a third bin throughout the year. Each fall I'd dump a load of it in spring and blend it into the soil. During spring when I planted I'd blow a layer over the entire garden for mulch to prevent spots from soil contact and to prevent weeds from springing up. My tomatoes were sweet enough that kids ate them for candy/fruit. The rest of my garden was amazing, and I miss it still. If i had it to do again I'd plant a much larger space and get a truckload of canning jars.

9. MartNorth

MartNorth Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Because of the small size carrot seed I only buy the pelleted ones. I can easily plant them 1.5 inches apart then early summer when they have small carrots I thin to 3 inches eating what I pull. I normally get 2 inch diameter carrots by Sept. Because I have a lot of Chamomile I put down a path of potting soil about 3 inches wide and 1/2 inch deep to plant in as it keeps the camomile from growing til the carrots are established enough to tell the difference in the two.

10. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I plan on going through my seeds, and see what I need. I start seeds indoor mid Feb. love watching plants grow, One of few joys left in life.

11. BiGuySW

BiGuySW Members

I'll start my peppers this week. They seem to take a long time to become vigorous seedlings. Need to start the sweet potatoes soon, also. I can start the tomato seedlings a bit later, because otherwise they'll get too big before they can go out into the field in May, after the last frost.

Then, after I transplant the seedlings, I will direct seed okra and squash in the field. I won't direct seed my tepary beans until late June.

jimandjan likes this.
  12. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Getting things lined out, new grow light, have to set up. working on it. It's hell to be old and slow.

MartNorth likes this.
  13. Hazel1235

Hazel1235 Newbie

We always enjoy the fresh taste of the vegetables and fruits of my garden. Just after 3 years of gardening I firmly believe that to get the fresh and natural taste of veggies and fruits and to keep the garden safe, healthy and natural growth, there is no alternative to using organic fertilizers.

MartNorth likes this.
  14. BiGuySW

BiGuySW Members

My pepper seedlings are all coming along. I still have them in a south-facing window inside my house, but soon I will be able to keep them in my tiny lean-to greenhouse.

I have sweet potato seedlings out there in the greenhouse already. They were easy to start. Each year I save a bunch of my undersized sweet potatoes in a lower kitchen cabinet, and those little skinny things start sprouting in January. By mid-February, I just stick those little potatoes in old milk cartons filled with soil and take them out to the greenhouse. They start putting out leaves right away. Soon it will be time to start the tomato seedlings in the greenhouse. They require a lot less babying than peppers.

I keep a little space heater in the greenhouse on a thermostat that keeps the night-time temperature above 38 F. During the day the greenhouse is cooled with a 30 watt solar powered fan. The more intense the sun is, the faster that fan spins

I've also been preparing the beds in my garden for planting. Gardening is an essential part of my life. I grow about half the food that I eat.

Tman58 likes this.
  15. Cello Song

Cello Song Members

As you clear new ground for planting, you may find that you can eat what was already there: 28 Edible Weeds You Can Find in Your Own Backyard I'm finding lots of lambs quarters in my garden and I find it ironic that I was tossing away food while trying to plant food. They work well in a salad.

GreenFire likes this.
  16. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

eat the weeds

Cello Song likes this.
  17. DianeEllison

DianeEllison Newbie

Hey there, thanks for sharing these valuable gardening tips for beginners! I absolutely love your emphasis on the importance of nurturing the soil. It's often overlooked, but the soil is the foundation for successful gardening. So, instead of fussing over the plants, let's give some extra love and attention to our soil. I totally agree that gardening is all about sharing and connecting with fellow gardeners. I'm actually planning to spruce up my backyard and turn it into a visual delight. [Link removed} Gonna give them a shot. By the way, as a newbie on this forum, it's awesome to interact with other gardening enthusiasts. Keep sharing your wisdom!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2023
  18. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Would like to know the types of organic fertilizer, best for reviving garden soil. I use compost and blood meal, but feel like it needs more.

19. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Worms! They can do miracles for the soil and should be easy to find. Some places will ship them to you live, and just set them free into the soil...

Or start composting with them. Using big plastic bins with some holes punched in the top has been successful for me. Adding things like newspaper in layers between the layers of composting material (food scraps with no meats or fats, garden trimmings, etc.) is a great way to get worm castings and they aerate the compost mix which leads to a great mulch and soil builder. Keep the bins in the shade! Too much heat is not good.

I think that's better than using commercial "organic" fertilizers, and vastly cheaper. You are using Mother Nature at her best, instead of feeding a chemical companies profits.

jimandjan likes this.
  20. Liamsimpsony

Liamsimpsony Newbie

I stumbled upon this old thread and wanted to say that your advice on starting a vegie garden for beginners is still valuable today. Focusing on the soil is indeed crucial for successful gardening. I love your emphasis on the importance of dark, moist soil and the tips on improving sticky soil with gypsum and light-colored soil with coir. Taking care of the soil sets a solid foundation for healthy plant growth. I appreciate your insights on planting seedlings, mulching, and the recommendation of the Yates Garden Guide. It's always beneficial to have a gardening resource specific to your country. If anyone is looking for turf supplies, I'd recommend checking out online sources for turf and soil building. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience, Bilby!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2023