Star Trek: Why Doesn't The Federation Have Cloaking Technology?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by The Walking Dickhead, Sep 6, 2016.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Episode 3 of The Orville is pretty good. I'm liking this show, the subtle humour probably means more to TNG fanboys like myself.

Can't decide who I've got the biggest crush on; foxy lady (Kelly Grayson) or sex kitten Halston Sage, she's tougher than He-Man!

[​IMG]

Like the robot too, called Isaac... a reference to Asimov.

2. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I'm up to 1/2 way through the second ep

I think its dumb

He made it way too much like Star Trek

And the characters are fairly bland, he should have thrown a few comedians in there instead of his American Dad buddies

He could have done this way better, Robot guy was introduced as being from a planet of racists, should have milked the racist jokes, a helm officer that has like Parkinsons, a Stewie Griffin-esque potty mouthed character that like 8 yrs old, an Engineer thats a drunk agro scottish football type, and the ex-wife with a personality more like Hofstadters mom

Well whatever, but he should have over characturized most of the characters

3. The Walking Dickhead

You don't like anything.

I think you're the TV critic equivalent of Victor Meldrew.

The whole idea behind it is it's a spoof. Therefore being a lot like the thing it's spoofing is kinda the point.

Did you also notice the warp drive nacelles at the back look a bit like a vagina? I did.

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Or.......its just not that good

Galaxy Quest and Hitchhikers both had the overly depressed character, a few laughs there. Or think of the king of sci fi spoof movies, Spaceballs, compare this to Spaceballs

The baddies, the Krill, just look like Jem' Hadar, lost jokes there....what would be a Star Trek version of Dark Helmet?

There is a million things he could have done with this to make it funnier

5. The Walking Dickhead

It's only three episodes in for Christ's sake..

By their very nature, spoofs aren't meant to be taken that seriously.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I got totally sucked into Dark Matter from the first ep, and that would have a budget 1/4 of this show

And thanks to the character "3" that show probably gives more belly laughs and its not even supposed to be a comedy

Yours truly,
    Overly whiney sci fi fanboy

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Anyway, only about 2 more sleeps until Discovery

8. The Walking Dickhead

Tried Dark Matter. I though it was rubbish.

We'd never be beer and film night bros..

9. The Walking Dickhead

When a ship explodes, why isn't it programmed to transport all it's crew into a loop inside a black box that can be recovered, thus potentially saving lives?

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ok, you got me, episode 3 was pretty damn good.

And a rather surprisingly deep storyline, almost reached for the kleenex at one stage.

A big reversal from the first two eps though.

This could actually last more than one season

11. The Walking Dickhead

Aye the Moclans, an all male species that look like jobbies.

Humour aside, that one could have easily been a normal Star Trek episode.

Fans are going more nuts for Orville than Discovery it seems. Seth McFarlane is doing Star Trek better than Star Trek.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The more similar to the original star trek set and costume design is a winner too, its just easier on the brain and eye, bright pastel uniforms, always well lit interiors

Discovery tries to be edgy with its bridge with no interior lights, panaramic windows, everyone in the same colour uniform, but kind of just looks depressing.

Just the general look of The Orville makes for a happy vibe

I just hope they go more for story with future eps, because those first two episodes were shit, third episode was the right mix, more drama than comedy, as opposed to just trying to be a spoof with no real story

1 person likes this.
  13. The Walking Dickhead

There was no rapport between the characters at all in Discovery at all, it was all very fake. Looks slick but it just doesn't fit in. I like the illustration work on the opening credits though.

Whatever they had in mind for Discovery they appear to have fucked it up quite badly, and with the next season not planned for release until 2019, and most folk watching it for free that show is going to bomb. Once all the fake reviews get exposed and everyone gets bored, The Orville will be waiting to bring back the fun side of Star Trek.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

We havent gotten to the real series yet, these first two eps were just the set up

Real series starts when she is on the Discovery, rouge ex con officer everybody thinks started the war, on a ship with a captain thats like, i dont give a fuck its my ship, amidst a long war story arc

All kind of sounds quite juicy really

If anything does kill it, it will be this only available on CBS all access service no one wants to join up bullshit

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

When was cloaking actually introduced in movies or in science in general? I can only remember Predator having that technology in the 90s.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

[​IMG]

17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Thunder birds?

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Episode 4, LOL Liam Neeson, seems Mr Macfarlane has some hollywood pull.

Ok, Im hooked, that was an okish episode, even tbough I thought during it, yeah I seen this kind of episode 1/2 dozen times before, still, it wasnt a struggle to watch

19. The Walking Dickhead

Jonathan Frakes is director on episode 5 and apparently Patrick Stewart will be making an appearance this season.

"My God.." The line was definitely a nod to 2010: Oddysey Two- My god, it's full of stars.

Someone asked what the character Yaphit does on the ship. I said he's the Odd Blob Man. Seth can use that if he wants next season...

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I just started watching Star Trek Enterprise. T'Pol is kind of cute. But as far as technology goes, they don't have cloaking... at least not yet. And their ship can only go warp four or something like that. I've only watched the first 3 episodes though.

ZenKarma likes this.