Star Trek: Why Doesn't The Federation Have Cloaking Technology?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by The Walking Dickhead, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Supposedly its an entirely different sort of Star Trek which is what they were shooting for with Enterprise because the technology in TNG was bordering on the magical.

Since its TV, the problem is they always push every budget as hard as they can and I trust what they say about Fuller simply having too may irons in the fire. The fact they decided to delay is a good sign that they are willing to take their time and do the show justice. They also delayed bringing the series back at all complaining that modern technology such as computers and cellphones was changing so rapidly they were afraid any TV series would be outdated if they didn't wait a few years and get a better feel for where the technology is going.

2. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Yeah you can usually tell what year a film was made in this century by the types of cell phones the actors are using.

I don't have a problem with the delay in Discovery, I hope they don't fuck it up. The idea of a 4 year story arc depicting a war with the Klingon empire doesn't sit well with me, Klingons are boring. How much can they expand on the Star Trek universe with another Klingon battle? I thought they said there would be loads of new species. I hope this story arc, if it is to be that takes a back seat.

Too much technobabble of the late 24th century variety also gets boring. Enterprise brought the series back down to earth a bit and made it seem more realistic. It gives you more of a feel of early exploration, that they are still in the vicinty of earth and there's a whole expanse of uncharted space still out there waiting to be discovered. It also nice that they made a bit of an effort to make most of the alien species actually look alien, as opposed to sticking small bits of latex on a part of their faces, I guess they picked that one up from the Babylon 5 universe.

I hope some of the characters from Enterprise turn up in a few episodes of Discovery, and they redesign the ship as well. Vulcans live for hundreds of years so they could easily bring T'Pol in somewhere. One episode where they time travel back into the Enterprise would keep me happy, although it would have to be set in the timeline +10 years.

If only the producers of DS9 and Voyager had taken a step back and let TNG run it's course before churning out the spin-offs so fast they might have done a better job. But then I suppose we probably wouldn't have gotten Enterprise.

3. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Guess it may have down to some kind of a treaty thing - (always gonna be a political thing) (un-revised due to the conscientious nature of the Federation) ... unless some maverick Captain bends the rules abit

4. The Walking Dickhead

When there's an intruder on the ship, why do they never just lock on to them with the transporter and beam the out into space?

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

6. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Klingons are Russians and they're center stage right now. The producers are attempting to stay relevant and that always means Three Stooges slapstick and Professional Wrestling with some reality TV thrown in.

7. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Wow this is such a nerdy thread

I'm wondering if it's all those logical holes in the Star Trek and Star wars universes that stop them from actually having an extended lifespan

We watch Rogue one, no one has email. We watch the Star trek and no one ever falls through the floor when they are out of phase .

Me thinks, someone sometime soon is going to come up with a new sci fi format where everything makes a bit more sense in this day and age and wipe the floor with Star Trek and Star Wars.

If they can do a eerily convincing Peter Cushing, why not do a convincing race of sentient dolphins or octopi instead of every other species being humanoid with a stupid nose and no ears.

When it comes to being forced to turn off that logic switch for 42 mins, I prefer Stargate, not that there is a Star Wars Tv series to compare it too, but seriously, if you are capable than faster than light why would anyone bother building a bunch of big cruiseliners with phaser canons?

8. The Walking Dickhead

Of course it is. It's about bloody Star Trek!

9. The Walking Dickhead

Oh the opening sequence to Enterprise S04E01 Storm Front part II with Hitler visiting America!

Also, I'm starting to think a lot of the alien species, in particular the suliban and the temporal aliens is strongly influenced by The Exorcist. The Exorcist already got a mention in one episode, not sure if it's the same one where Phlox started halucinating but also in that episode the scary make-up Hoshi was wearing when she came out of the shower was similar to The Exorcist, and maybe also the bathroom scene in The Shining?

Same make-up company or some kind of homage?

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Season 4 is how all trek should have gone, it was awesome. Have you just started watching it for the first time?

Totally bizarre given the crap we got with the show first three seasons, it was 3 seasons of crap, oh no, no one is watching, we better pull our fingers out and make a great show....then it gets cancelled

11. The Walking Dickhead

Yes it's my first time so no spoilers.

I thought it was good from the start, season 3 was the the best so far. Glad to know it continues with this trend into season 4.

It's a bollock it was cancelled, should have been DS9 and Voyager that were cancelled after 4 seasons.

The original series suffered the same fate, was originally intended to be 5 years. TV producers are bastards who care only about money.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The Aenear (sp?) 3 parter is my favourite, that starts with Babel One, Trek meets Star wars

13. The Walking Dickhead

I think it's already met Star Wars in season 3 with the "death star" story arc and the more adventurous extra-terrestrials.

14. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Star Wars describes a metaphorical universe where there is no division between science and religion, while Star Trek describes a metaphysical pantheistic universe that attempts to segregate the two. The advantage that Star Trek has is that it can adapt like the Borg to whatever the technology and science reveal, but that comes at the cost of having to predict the future better in order to prevent their shows from becoming outdated overnight. Both franchises will have to make major changes or become history when a Theory of Everything is revealed in the near future.

15. The Walking Dickhead

lol there is no theory of everything..

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Seriously dude, this isn't an undergraduate term paper.

The theory of everything, so when someone links gravity with the week nuclear force, Star trek and Star Wars will disappear?

You know what the theory of everything is?

Einstein has an IQ of 190, it took that to do what he did. And that was 100 years ago. You don't get much higher than that, up to 230 or so.

Every guy since Einstein at that level has been some total math nerd or wasting his time as a chess player. The smartest female that ever lived was a chess player. You get past 190 and they all go a little silly becuase the brain works too fast and they have to occupy their time day to day.

It won't be homosapiens that work out the GUT it will be the 3rd or 4th sentient beings on this planet in 100 Million years.

We are a victim of our own evolution . No one person is bright enough to connect all the dots anymore.

A century since Einstein's little equations. Someone should have worked out what gravity is by now, don't you think? No one has any kind of glue what the bell it is. Which suggests what it is, is something so trippy it is beyond human understanding

17. The Walking Dickhead

To be fair no-one really know what any of the fundamental forces of nature are. They're forces that are also particles, apart from gravity which might be a particle. What the fuck is a particle?

Nobody knows what anything really is, because there is no such thing as absolute knowledge and therefore there will never be a GUT. Answers to questions only bring forth more questions that have ever more elaborate answers.

18. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

That's the whole point, is that a century ago the discovery of quantum mechanics indicated that physicists don't have a clue as to what they are dealing with. Their whole approach is wrong because academia has adopted metaphysics as an easy way to produce fast answers. They are using a digital approach that is easier to deal with for error corrections, but nature is analog and modern science is only beginning to catch up using the brute force approach. The entire semi-conducting industry, Microsoft, Intel, Google, and everyone else is rushing to now convert to analog approaches and develop the first AI with everything indicating that AI and a Theory of Everything require the same mathematics. Within the next three to twenty years at most the computers will catch up and spit out the mathematical foundations whether or not any new Einstein produces a theory before then.

Einstein was an outsider. A high school drop-out who seldom attended class in college and got a third rate job as a clerk when he graduated only thanks to his roommate's father taking a shine to him. That was what made him special and not simply his high IQ. He was somewhat of an outsider who could look at things differently, but drew the line at causality which is why he failed to produce a theory of everything.

19. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Gravity is the source of lightness and the most social force in nature, that which brings us all together. The problem is not that nobody has a clue as to what gravity is, the problem is that they are still using metaphysical mathematics they know damned well are not up to the task. Over the last century physical theories, such as String theory, have steadily closed the widening gap between abstract mathematics and physics, but the next generation computers will finish the job if they don't do it first. Recent experimental evidence has indicated the answers are much simpler than many had expected but, Taoists like to say, its the simple shit that gets you every time.

The Monstrous Moonshine Conjecture is expected to produce interesting results in the near future. Its one of those mathematical theories nobody believed it was possible to prove, but they did it anyway.

20. igobothways

igobothways Members