Star Trek: Favorite Captain

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Frogfoot, Jan 8, 2011.

1. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Benjamin Sisko :D

Not kidding. I probably put the same before. I liked Sisko. It's been years since I watched all the episodes of Deep Space Nine. They've got it on Netflix. Anyway. I know everyone hates it, (I think @Asmodean doesn't like it as well) but I liked the feeling of DS9. It was like having my own Star Trek show that was good, and that nobody else liked. :)

hotwater likes this.
  2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

DS9 is my least fav series but not because of the captain. It's also the only one (besides the original series of course) that got available to me too late.

soulcompromise likes this.
  3. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

DS9 was their most ambitious show yet, and they managed to pull it off, but the plots were rather thick and convoluted, and they resorted to adding more violence and becoming more militant over time. Gene adding some fantastic touches to the original series, but its essentially well known sci fi pulp fiction, cowboys in space, along the same lines as Firefly. Once a theory of everything comes out, it will make all those shows look every bit as fictional as they are.

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I don’t believe in splitting hairs, and I certainly don’t believe in splitting my infinitives [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. wooleeheron

The more limitations you place on how you use language, the more closed minded you become.

Language is no different than taking a crap, Don't Push!

Fuck the grammar Nazis, Noam Chomsky was dead wrong. English has two grammars, one vague and one explicit, and only by putting the explicit grammar in larger contexts can you make more sense out the vague. Logic and explicit grammar express the conscious mind, but the conscious mind emerges from the emotional-fuzzy logic and syntax of the subconscious. Your conscious mind can trick you into walking right over a cliff, just like your subconscious, because you need to get the two to cooperate.

Using the classical principle of the excluded middle, your conscious mind attempts to analyze the content of anything in a sort of brute force manner that is a crude representation. It is useful for applying normalization and appreciating more of the beauty and truth of the world around us, but without a sense of humor we have no humility and cannot distinguish between our crude maps and reality.

Precisely because most English speaking people use their grammar and conscious mind to suppress their subconscious and emotional-syntax, my poetry can make them dance like a puppet. Their emotional-logic might as well be the back of their own head they can never see. Despite the western focus on causal metaphysics, information and imagination remain more fundamental than knowledge and memory. Your emotions only make sense as a puzzle that can sometimes inspire the lightbulb to come on.

With the right linguistic mathematics, you change the whole world's mind, by merely confronting them with the self-evident truth. However, its not a tiny puzzle, and I'm working on developing the mathematics far enough to easily automate the process, which is not easy, because the mathematics inevitably transform into physics. Your emotions walk the line between physical and mental reality. On the lowest possible maintenance level, your mind and brain actually exchange roles, depending upon which one is more efficient for the task at hand.

It is particle-wave duality, and you either go down that rabbit hole willingly, or it pulls you down eventually. Strong winds do not last, nor does the driving rain, if nature's words do not last, why should those of man? Lao Tzu

6. Asmodean

1) There likely won't come a theory of everything, and 2) the most passionate fans (and most other viewers as well) are fully aware its fictional. The Star trek franchise is also growing in that (example: no earthlike explosions or sound in space anymore)

7. wooleeheron

They are so close to a theory of everything, everyone is biting their nails. After 40 years of the Standard theory, all the mathematics indicate that the current computers are powerful enough to finally make sense out of it all. I follow the physics, and the experimentalists are also rapidly closing in on explaining Noether's Theorem, which is the foundation of quantum mechanics. The last survey I know of physicists indicated that most believe it would be found within 20-50 years, but I'll bet you anything they would all say today that it could be anytime within the next twenty years and, likely, within a decade.

However, having the theory and comprehending it are two different things. Einstein thought black holes and quite a few other things his own theory predicted were impossible, while it was half a century before they could simplify the mathematics and more than a dozen people on the planet understood his theory in any detail. Last year, over a trillion dollars was invested in AI research alone, and the entire planet is now racing to the finish line, with the US conducting what has been called the new Manhattan Project.

Even Microsoft has converted all their considerable research funding into topological quantum computing, because its been part of their business plan for quite a while. Everybody was set back 15 years ago, by the discovery of a physical limitation in silicon which forced the entire industry to switch to multicore processing, or we would already have the theory. The particle accelerators and other expensive machines were only built in the hope of finding it even sooner, because the last scientific revolution was the Copenhagen Interpretation, which led directly to WWII, with the US having to rely upon German scientists to develop the bomb.

Military intelligence is an oxymoron, which is why they grab as many geniuses as they can.

8. JamieBurton

JamieBurton Members

Kirk. All the way. I can't believe this is even a conversation. He's the only choice.

9. wooleeheron

Spock became an endangered species, while Kirk and Spock will live foreverQ!

10. lode

lode Banned

Picard.

Janeway was an awful captain. They all got fucked up and lost in Delta because of her.

They had a couple opportunities to get home that Janeway threw away, and she broke the temporal prime directive after already making it all the god damned way home.

Janeway and 7 were a good dynamic though. Any episodes starring Tom Paris, Harry, or Chakotay were worth skipping over.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I agree Captain Kathryn Janeway (Kate Mulgrew) handling of the Caretaker left a lot to be desired

although, Star Trek: Voyager improved considerably after Seven of Nine became a member of the crew.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lode likes this.
  12. wooleeheron

Janeway was actually closer to what ships captains are commonly like today, just less formal and stiff. Jonathan Archer is another great example of a ship's captain, with many of the carriers today captained by aircraft pilots, and almost all ships captained by engineers. Pickard's character is actually a throwback, to the days of people like Captain Cook, who is still considered one of the greatest explorers known for being friendly with the natives, until the Hawaiians cut his head off for firing into a brawl on the beach. Pickard's new series should be very interesting in that regard, because Patrick Stewart insisted on becoming an explorer again, more of a detective and archeologist, and spy no doubt, than a military captain.

If Stewart pulls it off, he could redefine a new generation of Star Trek. Resistance is futile! He's got enough walking brute strength and computing power accompanying him to take over NYC in under an hour.

13. Asmodean

I dig both Voyager and captain Janeway a lot. Great series! (with or without 7 of 9)

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Overall I think I prefered Voyager the most

There about 20 TNG eps I would put above anything else, but there are more than a few TNG eps that are really bad

Voyager only has 1/2 dozen or so eps that are unwatchable

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The movies sure

But the TV series, most of its unwatchable

16. lode

lode Banned

Overall as a show I might agree with you, I was speaking strictly on the captains. There were some terrible TNG episodes.

But comeon? Only half a dozen? Name me one decent Tom or Harry episode.

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I was full nerd when the show first came out Identified strongly with the Tom, Harry, BLT bromance/romance. So pretty much every tom and harry episode, even like the one where they break warp ten and Toms tongue falls out ;)

I liked Janeway from the start too, but I think thats a gay thing, seemed to be mainly straight guys that had a problem with her. Although havent known many female trekkies.

The only Voyager episode I cant actually watch is that one with the Rock, oh and that Tuvix one, and that one with the space whale that tries to shag the ship

18. lode

lode Banned

I like Janeway's character. I do think she improved when seven came around. Chakotay just went along with everything except for the few episodes the plot demanded mutiny. But Janeway vs Seven always made the best episodes. Or the episodes where the doctor stood up for hologram rights.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, to me Seven just seemed like they were trying to bring in a Data type character. I wasnt bamboozled by big tits

I prefered B'Elanna

20. lode

lode Banned

Yeah, B'Elanna was a good character before Tom turned her into a housewife. ;)

But take away the Klingon makeup and we're just comparing babes to babes.