Star Trek: Favorite Captain

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Frogfoot, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Would explain why i liked it a lot :p

Anyway, i saw you nagging on prequel settings because you wanted to see a more advanced star trek society etc. But it seems you get what you want with the newer movies and series. Discovery and reboot movie Enterprise look a lot more technological advanced than their 24th century counterparts

I'm currently in sesason 4. Netflix rules!

Yup. But the difference is TNG was fresh and hip when i first watched it. TOS was already weird cheesy and dated to me the first time i took notice of it.
    I gave TOS a new try too but switched to TNG again soon.

2. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Haha yeah the first two seasons I'd say of TNG have some real cheesy parts.

My theory is when they start wearing collars on their uniforms, the show gets better. Weird, but it's true.

3. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

That's the legacy of the Italian Spaghetti Western directors, who introduced science fiction fans to spandex and buxom women. Adding things like collars to spandex is the only way to convince the actors to take the role seriously. Bleaching their hair is also standard, with buxom blonds with a slight overbite being preferred, and the more blond their hair becomes the less seriously they tend to take the role, but even the men's hair gets bleached. Sort of, modern day
    "White Face" for Vaudeville stage and theater.

4. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Star Trek is ridiculous

A society that comes to be defined by the Sci-Fi it creates

And it is completely lacking in humour, love and space for the outsider

Everyone is functional, productive and quotidian

But then I haven't been watching. Sorry if I got it wrong

5. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

6. wooleeheron

The very idea that a space-western television series in which people run around in spandex shooting everything and chasing women, while violating the laws of physics, should not be absolutely ridiculous is, of course, absurd. Kirk was the best captain because he embodied everything the series has lacked ever since, a sense of humor about itself. Shatner was born to wear spandex.

Still, Red Dwarf can't be beat!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  7. Asmodean

I'm glad he doesn't share your opinion on this.

8. wooleeheron

Shatner's acting has been compared to cheese wiz and, if anything, he's proud of his spandex. Not just anyone could have made a career out of over-acting.

9. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Star Trek: The Fatal Compromise.

11. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There's no doubt about one thing, he's the King of the Memes

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  12. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Yeah but I doubt his taste in sweatshirts. Kind of stiff and uptight. I say carefully restrained psychopath.

Do carry on.

13. wooleeheron

Shatner brought new meaning to rap music, as well as, working man's blues whenever you listen to him attempt to sing. He's a workaholic who loves his cheese wiz in large quantities, and is living proof that nobody ever lost money underestimating the average intelligence of the American public. Gene Rodenberry was a visionary, who saw the future was written by young women wearing miniskirts. Yoda is the love child of Mr. Spock and an Andorean sex slave. Jim Henson is rolling over in his grave, Ms Piggy is Kermit's half sister!

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Captain Morgan

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I so hope you are being sarcastic

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Cant say I ever really got the interest in the original series

Interest in the actual concept, its potential, which lead to some pretty good movies later on, I get

But the actual initial 3 season run in the 60s, for me, is pretty much unwatchable, its really really bad.....maybe 5 episodes at most I'd ever bother watching again

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

18. Asmodean

Same here :p

I never digged Kirk and several of his crew members more than in the rebooted movies.

19. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

For all your Capt. James T Kirk accolades, his misuse of the of the Queen’s English alone should disqualify him from favorite captain status “to boldly go where no man has gone before” should be “to go boldly where no man has gone before."
    That along with his use of 'man' instead of 'one' which was later changed in Star Trek: TNG, are reasons for disqualification.

20. wooleeheron

If Star Trek nerds ran the franchize it would have died in stillbirth. Hollywood isn't good for much, but they know what sells, and it ain't no grammar Nazis. Roddenberry was a visionary, which is why they told to him to get rid of everyone in the pilot except for Spock.

JJ Abrams tried to bring em back on track, with more cheese wiz and swashbuckling, while the series on TV have all become infamous for being militant as hell. The next generation actors all insisted on limiting the violence in the series, and brought the emphasis back on the characters themselves.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019