Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh, BTW, you dont like them putting gay characters in TV shows eh?

You might want to check out Black Lightning

His eldest daughter is a pretty wesbian, with a pretty wesbian girlfriend, episode 2 there is a saucy scene with a lot of skin

Outside that its also a pretty awesome griity show even though it is yet another super hero TV show

2. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

I don't think its "Inject" a gay couple as much as a show being written realistically and that aspect being included. Down here in the south, in the bible belt, if a show had any reality about it there would most definitely be a homosexual couple in there...if not 2. lol

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

theyre all trying to copy the survivor formula

gotta have a macho guy
    gotta have a gay guy
    gotta have a black
    gotta have an asian
    gotta have a nerd
    gotta have a hippy type

etc...

bonus points for gay nerd blacks

4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOL, no they steal the Mirror Georgiou this time instead

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Lol yeah... She doesn't seem to happy about it though. But I admit: the writers did bring one back... just not the beloved doc.

Anyway, now I saw the latest episode the question how Mirror Lorca came in our universe is answered satisfactory, but what happened to the original Lorca?
    I'm highly entertained by Discovery so far :) The only thing I had a bit trouble with as a Star trek fan is of course the new appearance of the Klingon race. The comment that they were always supposed to look like this doesn't mean shit. They're supposed to look like Worf. But besides the nonsensical change in appearance their race and culture is wellportrayed.

So, has anybody admitted already of watching After Trek as well? :D Or is that a step too far? :p

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

My previous freak out was this is not star trek, which I still maintain, but it is still sci fi, so who am I kidding, I'm still going to watch it, and I have to admit this latest episode was pretty entertaining even though kooky as hell, a mycelial network aneurysm basically that transcends the multiverse - WTF, they have really amped it up with the nerdy gobbildy gook talk in this series.

But the having to stick with canon arguments, I'm so over that, who cares, its too restrictive. I'm glad they threw out some of the old rules with the new star wars movies, and they seem to be doing the same here

Also, I think the series IS about following Burnham, at the end of this episode they basically skip 9 months of the Klingon War, we may be done with the Klingons by the end of season 1

7. Asmodean

I find the different timeline not an issue at all, and can accept and enjoy all the stuff that came with it (including the destruction of Vulcan :eek:). But the change in appearance in the original Klingons (regardless all that augment virus/bio engineering stuff) was unneccesary imo. I accepted but sometimes just have that thought 'that's not how Worfs ancestors are supposed to look' :p
    It's still typical Star trek though, as you and ZenKarma pointed out before with the script and the things from older series they did repeat. Still more Roddenberry scifi than any other. The change here might indeed be that the main story is not focussing on a captain or ship but Burnham. Seemed like that from the beginning. Suits me!
    I had one moment in the latest episode btw where a (great) fight reminded me more of Star wars than Star trek. Not good naturally (i love both obviously, but they're different enough that it shouldn't happen). It was because of that flash grenade.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOL. Michelle Yeoh going full Ninja, that was a highlight

9. Asmodean

Because they will be annihilated by mirror Georgiou :-D

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I wish I had access to this show. It still costs something, right? bummed :unamused:

11. Asmodean

It's honestly as entertaining as I hoped it would be, but did not dare to expect :)

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

That, i think, will be one of the juicier storylines of season 2

13. Asmodean

I hope you're right (which feels disturbing :D)!

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

available on many free sites

soulcompromise likes this.
  15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Netflix must be making money

Cloverfield Paradox came out of nowhere advertised superbowl night to watch later that night, that didnt look cheap and they didnt seem to feel the need to advertise it

CBS all access, the streamer Discovery is on seemed to get remarkable sign up figures once that show started

Even with torrents still around, these streaming services seem to be doing ok

The way of the future unfortuantely, you dont even have to get out of your lounge chair to watch the latest block buster, order your mc donalds from uber eats

Everyone will be 400 pounds except those uber eat delivery guys

soulcompromise likes this.
  16. Asmodean

Yeah, sounds terrible... :p

'Everyone' ;)

17. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Wow, what a lame, even bordering on ridiculous season finale

One klingon with a bomb ends the war, just like that

18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Wow didn’t realize it was the season finale, yeah not exactly a cliffhanger

It would have been more edgy if they hadn’t officially reinstated Michael (Sonequa Martin-Green) keeping her on the outside looking in

19. Asmodean

Although it is understandable the male klingon clan leaders didn't want their homeworld blown up, they accepted L'Rells threat a little too easy. They really pissed on that woman (as a real klingon should :-D).

The details we saw of Qo'nos were a lot of fun imo. Lots of Orions. 'Killy' got high :D Overall I enjoyed it.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The very end was another annoyance, they keep trying to tie it in with the 60s tv show, anyone born before 1950 really going to give a shit if Captain Pike is in season 2. I wish theyd stop doing that

Also I fully expected this universes Lorca to appear at the end of this ep. That would have been much cooler than oh, theres the enterprise 10 years before kirk and spock are on it