Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Sep 25, 2017.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

So far I’ve really enjoyed the series and Sonequa Martin-Green (formerly of the walking dead) playing the role of Michael Burnham, a disgraced Starfleet officer is excellent

Hotwater

2. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

Imagine me nitpicking. That's usually your job.

It's a cool sci-fi series, but it's not Star Trek.

I don't want the show to fail, I want to slip into a parallel timeline where they made this series and had a different story arc to the stupid Klingon war. They've just launched into a war with the Klingons and it's boring. There at least needed to be a slower build up.

It was always a bit of a bummer watching the previous series (excl the OS) and the new episode is another Klingon episode... Klingons have been done to death, they're boring and now we've got a new series where every fucking espisode is an episode about Klingons and their stupid warrior culture.

Should have stuck to self contained episodes. But then, after how many Star Trek episodes they're bound to be running out of ideas.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The best side effect streaming has had is that people binge watch TV nowadays

They dont really need to worry about if people will not follow if they miss an ep or two

The juicier dramas are always serials, arent many dramas that arent serialized nowadays

Reminiscing about stand alone shows like TNG, there were maybe 30 eps that were crackers out of what 150 or so, but there were a lot of shit ones as well. You need to do a few filler eps in a standalone show, and you just get really stupid eps, whereas do filler eps in serialized shows they just do some back story of one character

Self contained ep shows are for the most part shit

4. The Walking Dickhead

Most of the TNG episodes from mid season 3 onwards were really good. I'd say your estimate of 30 in 150 is bit liberal. It has aged but at the time...

Enterprise also did a few good self contained ones.

You're complaining about me nitpicking on a show like Discovery that's supposed to be taken seriously, yet you nitpick yourself over a show like The Orville which is just a comedy and doesn't really matter if there are holes in the plot? Oh my god, they had an episode with a leg in it!

The upside down world of Vanilla Gorrila...

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

It was weird, it wasnt funny

Him casting Charlize Theron as the girl he bangs in that ep was a bit Harvey Weinstein, even though I'm sure she has gargled a few cocks to get a role, including Harveys

Then the leg thing, when he comes out with the half grown leg, it was a little bit Scary Movie 2, or was it 3, with the little hands....whaaaa da hell

6. hotwater

Star Trek TNG was an outstanding and a groundbreaking series for its time, and to diminish its because every episode wasn’t worthy of an Emmy is idiotic.

Hotwater

7. The Walking Dickhead

I do like this character, Airiam the robot. Got to admit she is freaky as hell, give a child nightmares. Still not heard her talk though, I hope she has a robotic, electro trance sounding voice.

And the ginger girl with the augmented face, the android sisters. I'd be up for a three way with them probably.

[​IMG]

I ain't got no beef with the way it all looks, it's very cyber punk. But the new klingons can fuck off, I hate them.

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I am wondering why they cant put an actual robot in the show though, like from Honda or somewhere, especially if its just going to sit behind a console most episodes, I am also a bit sick of human actors pretending to be androids or robots....which is usually achieved by donning a daft punk mask and talking it a monotone voice with no facial expressions, even though in 2017 back in the real world we have robots that mimic human facial expressions

On a side note: The latest ep of The Orville was a good one, I'm back to liking the show

9. The Walking Dickhead

I know I know. Why don't they use real spaceships as well, we have those too in the 21st century now. Waste of time using model ships and CGI.

10. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

If it ain't TOS then it ain't Star Trek.

11. The Walking Dickhead

OK I'm starting to like it a bit more now. Harry Mudd is a good character and nice to have a character that featured in the OS as well.

This plot with the spore drive is SO far out, and the whole feel of the show lends itself well to deep space exploration, makes you really feel that you are out there. It just doesn't feel like Star Trek, and so I sort of wish it was something else altogether. It feels like the spore drive is too far fetched for the show, but when you consider some of the sci-fi from previous episodes it's not really..

It did have some fun elements in this latest episode as well. I liked the scene where Stammets wakes up from wiring himself in to the spore drive and starts laughing inanely as though he's just taken shrooms. He looks a bit like a species of fungus that guy, and the final scene where his reflection in the mirror stays behind after he walks away was rather cool. So looking forward to seeing how that plot develops.

And jayne Brook, sexiest admiral I've ever seen. [​IMG]

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The last scene has to be mentioned though

On one hand I was a bit surprised, for me personally it was good finally seeing a gay couple on Star Trek

On the flip side though, straight teen males are going to be the main demographic driving ratings, not only are they a bit too PC with the gay characters....there is no Seven/T'Pol/Troi character (big boobs in a catsuit) for them

On a second flip side, Captain Orca was haawt in this ep, way hotter than the gay couple, if they are going to have a gay couple, why do they have to be weird unnattractive ones ;)

Other than that, was a pretty trippy and cool ep

13. The Walking Dickhead

I'm glad they didn't go overboard with the gay scene and have them start sucking each other's face off, I'm not generally too down with PDAs and on screen kissing/sex scenes (unless it's betwen two chicks in which case I'm totally down with it)

Stammets is a weird looking guy, reminds me of Andy Bell from Erasure. I thought though the black doctor was quite good looking though (but maybe you a racist bitch?) Not as rugged and handsome as Captain Lorca though, as you correctly point out.

My main crush is still on Airiam the robot though, I totally want to have cyber sex with her.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I have aqcuired access to Netflix at my own place! Looking forward to check this out :)

15. hotwater

Choose your pain was a good episode and I didn't mind the gay stuff towards the end between the scientist and the doctor

Hotwater

16. Asmodean

Good god: there's a shitload of Star trek stuff on Netflix! :eek:
    All series including the original ones from the 60s. And 2 of the new movies.
    What is very disappointing is that of my other fav scifi franchise (Star wars) there's only one movie (albeit its the only one i haven't seen yet so could be worse): Rogue one. This would be no issue if I hadnt noticed all 8 of them were on there 2 months ago and i was looking forward to watching them all in the right order once I could. But apparently they've been removed...

17. Asmodean

Lol do you guys also watch After Trek?

18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

You were going to sit through Attack of the Clones?

I'd rather sit on a cactus than watch that movie again

19. Asmodean

I enjoyed both The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I also agree with most of the criticism btw! But Jar Jar Binks (to name one of the most clear and wellknown points of annoyance) didn't ruin the whole movie for me.

If we go on about this we might do it in another thread though. Talking in depth about SW in a Star trek thread is of course asking for problems :-D (apologies to the threadstarter :p)

20. The Walking Dickhead

Continues just released Episode 10, and it's a cliffhanger!

They're really doing a great job of this, all the cheesy ham acting. This latest episode has a really nice old skool classic sci-fi feel to it that is all but lost now in the world of Star Trek. Some interesting stuff relating to something people are speculating about Discovery being involved in (no spoilers) another new black doctor and the sexiest Romulan I've ever seen.

http://www.startrekcontinues.com/episodes.html

STC > STD

----

Just having a look at STC's facebook feed and discovered that Rekha Sharma, who played the stupid and uptight security officer who got herself killed by the giant dust mite also guested as a main character in STC in episode 8. So there you go.