Star Trek Discovery

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi TV' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Sep 25, 2017.

1. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

When the new chief engineer is talking to his boyfriend on his laptop and his head is coming out of the screen, and Michael walks behind him and the guy in the screen sees her and fucks off. How can he see her if presumably he is also seeing a holographic projection of Stamets' head coming out of his screen? More to the point, are they able to suck each other off via holographic space internet.

Perhaps I'm overthinking that scene.

Ok then. What about in the first episode where they send Michael to investigate the Klingon thing among the asteroids. Why didn't they just send a fucking probe? I mean we can do that now, so 200 years in to the future I'd imagine it would still be fairly straightforward engineering to do that.

2. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

[​IMG]?

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh, jeezus christ

Just sit back and enjoy the next episodes

Maybe have a wank first, so you dont go in angry ;)

4. The Walking Dickhead

They're not out for at least another week.

5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

im really liking this new series

i liked tng for having stand alone episodes...meaning if you missed a few it wasnt a problem because each episode was fairly individual and this one seems to have a storyline that will require seeing episodes in order but i dont think it will be a problem if they keep up the quality

6. The Walking Dickhead

People are complaining that it's too dark, so I was thinking... MAYBE, just a thought but maybe it's actually set in a dark mirror universe and come the end of this season or even the series it will eventually come to light that this has been the setting all along?

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

So far I’ve enjoyed the first 2 episodes of what will be a 15 episode first season.

The series is darker than I expected but what I don’t understand is why everything looks so high tech and advanced despite the fact
    hat the events take place 10 years before Captain Kirk and crew set out on their mission.

Hotwater

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Errr, because it was a TV show, made in hollywood in the 60s

Thats why the rocks were paper mache, they didnt actually go to another planet with paper mache rocks

9. hotwater

Ordinarily I’d agree but if you saw Star Trek Enterprise which ran for 4 seasons they made an effort to make the ship appearance seem appropriate to the timeline

Hotwater

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

The appropriate timeline?

There is always that paradox though isnt there, Star trek and Enterprise were supposed to be set around 130 years from now, in a future earth

Try to stick to art deco, cathode ray tubes and walkie talkies so it looks similar to a 60s TV show, would make less sense to this generation

They are TV shows, but some need to rationalise why Klingons have better make up in the 90s than they did in the 60s but within the Star Trek Universe....its a little bit kooky

The Appropriate timeline?

11. hotwater

The star trek universe has always allowed the writers some creative license when it came to the Klingon’s, I've even noticde subtle changes over time in the look of Commander Worf.

Not sure I like the new-look Klingon’s in Star Trek Discovery, but we’re stuck with them.

Hotwater

12. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJGvn5iOERM

1 person likes this.
  13. The Walking Dickhead

Just can't get in to this.

Latest episode depicts the federation performing vivisection on an exo-species. Yet another departure from Star Trek values.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

On the flip side, the latest ep of The Orville just got too weird for me, he cuts off his leg as a practical joke, and he writes and stars in an ep where he bangs Charlize Theron? Harvey Weinstein anyone, and Riker directed this crap???

15. The Walking Dickhead

Yeah it's a comedy. You're supposed to laugh, not worry about how weird it is.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Supposed to being the operative word, it was a little bit icky

Forgot about the weeks Discovery ep, along with FTWD, downloading now, I bet it rocks

17. The Walking Dickhead

But did you see Adrienne Palicki's boobies? [​IMG]

18. The Walking Dickhead

How the hell does this ship work? Which way up is it?

Sooo... in between the Enterprise timeline and the original series there's a ship in the federation that travels across the galaxy using quantum teleportation energy provided by microscopic space mushrooms and navigated by a giant dust mite wired into a computer?

That's pretty fucking far out, can't really deny that's quite a freaky bit of sci-fi.

It's still a departure from the Star Trek canon though because the federation would never tolerate vivisection.

I also hate the new Klingons! They're just annoying and the subtitles doesn't make them any more interesting just because it's in a nice font. I think they're modeled loosely on the Narn from B5, as were some of the aliens in the last film.

I don't feel like I'm in a spaceship watching it, with a crew exploring space or fighting aliens, it's all flashy effects and artistic compositions. Looks cool as fuck, but it's counter-immersive.

Too much fucking around with Star Wars-esque holograms as well.

The plot is thin, just doesn't seem like there's any real solid background plot to explain why they are at war with the klingons. I can't see it going anywhere.

I can see this being cancelled after one or two seasons.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Huh? You are just finding things to nit pick

It was another awesome ep.

Although im a bit curious as to why the token pakistani security officer got killed off, if she did get killed.

Why do you want this show to fail?

Target audience is teens of this generation, no one gives a shit about stupid canon rules that never make sense anyway

20. hotwater

Exactly during times of war even the Federation hasn’t always maintained its core values