St. Patrick's Day Parade (gay ban)

Discussion in 'Bisexual' started by GrayGuy57, Mar 5, 2023.

1. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Nothing new (sadly) to be sure, but I heard on the news today that, once again, gays are being barred from marching in the St. Patrick's Day parade on Staten Island.

One older gay gentleman told a reporter:

"......there is no reason for bigotry and discrimination. It is very demeaning to anyone gay who wishes to march and display their Irish heritage with pride. And, what kind of a message do you think this sends to young people who are just coming out?"

Sadly, such bigoted practices regarding this parade are far, far from uncommon elsewhere.

Gays are banned because "their views on sexuality and politics goes against the policies of the parade organizers."

What a line of pure, unadulterated bull!

As I am part Irish myself (and quite proud of my heritage), I can truly feel for other gays who are not allowed to march, due to insensitive, narrow-minded bigotry.

Again, what kind of message does this send to young gays, just "coming out"?

Sad, and so damn narrow-minded.......

"Live long and prosper"

Jcinalco likes this.
  2. Jcinalco

Jcinalco Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That’s too bad.

I was just thinking about how prude and puritanical the US still is compared to Western Europe in all things sexual and in the area of LGBT rights. (Eastern Europe seems to be worse than the US in regards to LGBT issues).

I think it’ll take more time but we’ll get there. There are things in Europe I hope to see over here someday. Maybe I’m wrong but my impression of Western Europe is that gay couples can walk hand in hand, kiss, and hug in public with no fears. I don’t dare do those things here even though I live in California. This state isn’t as progressive in that area as people think.

3. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Good points to ponder, my friend.

I've heard that in Turkey, they are quite tolerant regarding gay rights; however, in some places in the Middle East, it is suicidal to admit to being gay.

Now THAT'S an abomination....sickening.

I agree; I think a lot of Western Europe is indeed more "ptrogressive" regarding gays and gay rights.

I read awhile ago that the Mayor of London (Sadiq Khan) had received death threats because he was in favor of gay rights and gay marriage.

For all the progress regarding gay rights that have been made in past years, there is still a long, long way to go.........and it won't be easy.

Courage, dignity, and fortitude MUST be the hallmarks of progression, in the ongoing battle for equality for gays (and, of course, bisexuals)......

"Live long and prosper"

Jcinalco likes this.
  4. topper

topper Member

Are the Irish invited to the Holloween Parade? Wouldn't it express Good Will?

5. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Good question.

Personally, I like ALL parades where EVERYONE is welcome, regardless of race, religion, or sexuality.;)

"Live long and prosper"

6. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

Interestingly, the "big" St. Patrick's Day Parade (along 5th Avenue in New York) has been allowing gays for quite some time now.

Ditto Boston and Dublin.

At least there is SOME progress being made, in the ongoing fight for equality......

"Live long and prosper"

7. thepapasmurph

thepapasmurph Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well... this seems silly. I mean, expressing "gayness" in parade mode means rainbows and glitter, and unicorns and, at least in America, this is synonymous with Irish celebrations... so what's the big deal letting a few gay people march.
    I know in Syracuse's St' Patrick's parade, there will be a contingent from our gay community.

8. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

I hear you, my friend.

If "mainstream" gays (who happen to be Irish) simply want to march along with everyone else, celebrating Irish pride, I agree; what is the issue?

And, after all, people....ALL people....are but mere human beings with human weaknesses.....so.....do the STRAIGHT parade marchers sport halos above their heads?

I don't think so.

Let's put aside differences for at least ONE day and all march together as proud Irish brothers......:)

["Erin Go Bragh"]

["Live long and prosper"]

Madison Charlie likes this.
  9. GrayGuy57

GrayGuy57 Members

I am in TOTAL agreement, my friend.

In this supposedly "tolerant" day and age of ours, I have seen intolerance, ignorance, and bigotry become even more widespread, during the past several years.

Sad, also....VERY sad......when some use their religion as a vengeful instrument of hate, instead of a conduit for love, brotherhood, and understanding.

If we could only look past a person's skin color, religion, or orientation, and SEE others for their CHARACTER instead, we would ALL be striving for a MUCH more tolerant accepting, and loving world.......

"Live long and prosper"