Sri Ramakrishna

Discussion in 'Hinduism' started by NightOwl1331, Jun 1, 2004.

1. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

"Just like to say I agree that Sri Ramakrishna is one of the greatest of modern seers of the truth. I am particularly impressed by the fact that he attained realization using different methods - hindu of course, but also muslim and christian. Therefore, Sri Ramakrishna repesents a way ahead out of religious intolerance and dogmatism which blights the earth at this time.

I don't think that what he taught is somehow beyond the reach of any sincere and well intentioned person - the whole point of systems of yoga and sadhana is to provide means by which all can attain, whatever their predisposition and temprament. This is brought out very well in the works of Swami Vivekananda, Ramakrishna's disciple and messenger, where all the various paths are expounded and explained."

.......BlackBillBlake.

Dear BlackBillBlake,

Thank you for your wonderful post and, of course, for attaching the beautiful photographs.
    It is so nice to know that you feel it this way and you can think so clearly.
    It is my own experience and conviction that it is enough just only to read about Sri Ramakrishna and believe Him. He was illiterate but had the knowledge of the whole world. Because He was connected and one with the ocean of divine consciousness. He was like a child and His simplicity was unfathomable. I always considered 'Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna' as today's Bible or Gita. I am yet to know if anybody else could make the subject of divinity and spiritualism as simple as He did. There is nothing for which He did not have any simple answer or which He could not explain in very simple words.

You also very truly said that anybody can attain that stage provided he is sincere and follows the ways and means advised by them or other seers of the truth.

With love.........Kumar.

2. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

There is a story about Sri Ramakrishna, emphasising the power of living out your convictions, that my gurudev used to tell.

There was a young boy who was greatly addcted to sweets, but he had a health problem, so he he was advised not to eat sweets by his doctor. However, he wouldnt listen and he continued to gorge himself. His father, out of desparation took him to Sri Ramakrishna, who agreed to talk to the boy, but only one month later.

One month later, the boy and his father arrived. Sri Ramakrishna looked into the childs eyes and said, `beta, dont eat sweets.`

Many days later, the father returned and fell at the mahatma`s feet and told him hat his son had completely astoped eating sweets. He then asked Sri Ramakrishna why he did not simply tell the child to stop eating sweets at the first meeting itself.

Sri Ramakrishna smiled and said, ` At that time I used to eat sweets. When you returned one month later, I had stopped eating them, so I could tell him to stop also.`

Om Sri gurubhyo namah.

3. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

"There is a story about Sri Ramakrishna, emphasising the power of living out your convictions, that my gurudev used to tell.

There was a young boy who was greatly addcted to sweets, but he had a health problem, so he he was advised not to eat sweets by his doctor. However, he wouldnt listen and he continued to gorge himself. His father, out of desparation took him to Sri Ramakrishna, who agreed to talk to the boy, but only one month later.

One month later, the boy and his father arrived. Sri Ramakrishna looked into the childs eyes and said, `beta, dont eat sweets.`

Many days later, the father returned and fell at the mahatma`s feet and told him hat his son had completely astoped eating sweets. He then asked Sri Ramakrishna why he did not simply tell the child to stop eating sweets at the first meeting itself.

Sri Ramakrishna smiled and said, ` At that time I used to eat sweets. When you returned one month later, I had stopped eating them, so I could tell him to stop also.`

Om Sri gurubhyo namah...............Bhaskar "

Dear Bhaskar,

Thank you for the wonderful story.

He preached what He himself had practised.
    It is a unique life. I ,so many times, wished that I could see Him in His human form just for once.That was not possible but I met Him, by His grace and compassion, twice. Once in the early morning, in my dream, just before leaving the bed and the other time I am sure I was wide awake lying on a sofa at about 1300hrs,alone in the room,suddenly for about 20 seconds I found Him standing right in front of me. Both the times He was looking like made of light. He did not talk to me, just came and left.

Only this much of Him has changed my life. I will never forget this. It does not matter what interpretations of this will be made by the pundits. He is the driving and guiding force of my life.

I only wish that He prepares me well enough so that if there is another life after death, I meet Him then and He accepts me there to give me refuge at His lotus feet.

With love and prayers........Kumar.

4. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Dear Kumar,

hari om!

Such visions and guidance are very real indeed. You are lucky.

In my case, I was blessed enough to lvie for 3 years in Gurudev Swami Chinmayananda`s ashram in the sandeepany himalayas when I was very young, age 3-5. although later I was diverted far from spirituality and religion, he planted seeds in me and gave me diksha in manyw ays, it is slowly coming to the fore now. Gurudev is no more, but his successor, head of the chinmaya mission, swami tejomayananda, my beloved guruji, my ishta devata, is every bit as great. Both Gurudev and Guruji come to me in dreams often, especially when I am stressed, when I have troubles, the answers are there for me in my dreams. Such guidance is a great blessing indeed. It can be cultivated through prayer and through yearning for such visions. Often I go to bed, begging Guruji to visit me in my dream and he does. Others may laugh about this, but these are not ordinary dreams.

Your vision of Sri Ramakrishna as light is also an experience that is authentic. My grandmother has seen guruji as light, too bright to look at directly, glowing in his magnificence....I myself have often noticed that he seems to glow, a rich, beautiful orange. His name is indeed well give, tejomaya, full of tejus, the spiritual glow. Experiences of the ishta devata as light, sound, etc are common in seekers, these are signs that you are progressing. They are meant to encourage and draw you forther forward. Meditate upon the vision of sri ramakrishna. He will be yours. The day is near.

Guru bramha, guru vishu,
    gurudevo maheshwaraha
    guru sakshat parabramha
    tasmai sri gurave namah.

5. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Dear Bhaskar,

Thank you so much for your very kind words.

I convey my pranam to your Guruji, Swami Tejomayananda. I know about Him and have heard His explanations of The Gita(Cassettes are available).It is really so good.

I am glad about your views on my visions. Thank you dear brother.

With lots of love.........Kumar.

6. SvgGrdnBeauty

SvgGrdnBeauty only connect

That is indeed a beautiful story. :) I understand what you are saying...indeed those we love (even though we may not understand the concept at the time...) never leave us... Thank you for your story once again...may your life always be filled with that spiritual glow...

*Peace and Love*
    Nicole

7. NightOwl1331

NightOwl1331 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I came across something interesting that Sri Ramakrishna said: "I am at peace now. I shall have to be born once more. Therefore I am not giving all knowledge to my companions. (with a smile) Suppose I give you all knowledge; will you then come to me so willingly?"

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone heard of anyone claiming to be his reincarnation?

8. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Dear NightOwl1331,

It is so nice to know that you are totally absorbed in Shri Ramakrishna Paramahansa. It seems that you have read all about Him.

Yes, once He had said that He shall be reborn for taking divine part in the endless divine game of God(Brahman leela). If I remember well, He had mentioned that He shall come after 100years somewhere(Did not mention) in Eeshan-Kone.

Eeshan-kone means, if I am not wrong , North West angle. That should be the line of districts of Purulia, Bankura, Birbhum,Burdwan and Hoogly. He had said this some time in 1885. He left His mortal body in 1886.

He was a 'satya sankalpa' purush, meaning that He had never told a lie and always spoke the truth. He could do anything for honouring the truth. For this whatever He said came true.

Therefore, we can surely expect that He is already born somewhere and is in His teens. Like you I am also,with all my being,waiting for Him to let us know about His arrival. That day my life will become significant after seeing Him and quenching all my thirst.

With love.........Kumar.

9. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

thank you all for the lovely Ramakrishna stories and discussion of his philosophy

the following contains one of my favorite Ramakrishna stories when Vivekananda put a coin under his mattress

"Simplicity in the life of Sri Ramakrishna and the Holy Mother:

Sri Ramakrishna and the Holy Mother recommended absolute poverty and continence as the ideal for sannyasins. They almost recommended that the house-holder sadhaka -spiritual aspirant- should also consciously try to be simple and frugal in his life-style so that the divinity may make its presence felt in his life and consciousness. Just as the knowledge of superconscious state imparts these qualities, similarly, the person who attempts to cultivate these qualities in his life gets the glimpse of that much desired Divine state

In the life of Sri Ramakrishna and the Holy Mother we get thought-provoking instances where simplicity and frugality had reached a state unparalleled in the history of spirituality. A few examples will not be out of place:

(1) That money is an obstacle in the path of spiritual progress; this idea was so deep rooted in the mind of Sri Ramakrishna that he could not touch even a coin without getting pain or reflex withdrawal of the hand. Later in his life he was unable even to touch any metal because he thought that it also represented money. Sri Ramakrishna used to take a few coins in one hand and a few clumps of earth in the other; and sitting on the banks of Ganges used to throw both in the river telling both were equally useless for realizing God. Thus his attachment to the gold and materialistic possessions also vanished completely.

Once Swami Vivekananda wanted to test the authenticity of this claim. He without anybody's knowledge hid a coin below the bed on which Sri Ramakrishna used to sleep. When Sri Ramakrishna sat on that bed, he shouted in pain as if electric shock was applied to his body. Similar experiment was confirmed in presence of his treating physician, doctor Rudra. When a coin was kept in the hand of Sri Ramakrishna, his hand began to writhe with pain. His breathing also stopped which became normal as the offending coin was removed.

(2) The idea not be greedy (as greed comes in way of God realization) became a natural reflex in his life and he was unable even to tie a knot to his clothes, lest it be taken as a sign of amassing something for the future! This is the highest form of frugality as can be easily understood, but difficult to practice in one's life. Our tragedy is that the thing that we can't accomplish, even knowing that it is beneficial for us, we discard it as untrue or of no significance.

(3) Once a Marwari devotee offered ten thousand rupees to Sri Ramakrishna. Sri Ramakrishna felt as though his head was 'under a saw'. He called his wife Ma Saradadevi and said, "Listen, my dear, this man proposes to give me money. As I have refused the offer, he proposes to give it to you. Why don't you accept this?" At this Ma Saradadevi replied instantaneously, 'How can that be? The money can't be accepted. If I receive it, it would be as good as your receiving it; for if I take it, I shall spend it on you; and hence it will amount to your own acceptance. People respect you for your renunciation; therefore, the money can never be accepted.'

Simplicity and frugality are the virtues that are more powerful than surrender and submission. There is no helpless resignation, no grudge in leading simple life, nor frown for owning fewer things of material comfort. Rather, the person of simplicity and frugality is very happy to give away to the needy whatever he has. Secondly, the person with these qualities becomes very happy at the prosperity and success of others. Hatred and jealousy are miles away from the mind of these persons.

Non-attachment was inborn virtue of the Holy Mother Ma Saradadevi. Money matters were handled by her but she had no attachment to them. Minor details never interested her. She used to clean the plates and utensils after the devotee has taken his food. Despite protests she maintained that as everyone is her child, as a mother she has no hesitation in doing such things."

10. Bhaskar

Bhaskar Members

Thank you for the lovely story...Detachment or vairagya is the hardest of the virtues for a seeker to aquire. Our desires are so deeply rooted. It is only by the grace of bhagawan that we can ever hope to purge these negative traits in us.

The way described in the Hamsa Geeta by lord Sri Krishna is to increase satva guna. As you shift from tamas to rajas and rajas to satwa, when all rajasic and tamasic qualities are removed, satwa also drops off, the mind is no more coloured, it is like a clean shiny mirror, ready to reflect the paramatman. The way to increase satva...

kayena vacha manasendriyaiva
    budhyatmana vaq prakriter swabhavat
    karomi yad yad sakalam parasmai
    narayanayeti samarpayami

Meaning -

All that I do with my body, by speech, mentally and through the sense organs, with the intellect, the self or by inborn instinct, all these actions I offer to Sri Narayana.
    When every deed is an offering, then tamasic and rajasic deeds automatically drop away, for you will not feel like offering the lord a rancid fruit.

Another beautiful sloka is fmor Adi Shankaras Shiva manasa pooja.

Sanchara padoyho pradakshina vidhi
    stotrani sarva giro
    yad yad karma karomi tat tat akhilam
    shambho tava aradhanam

Meaning -
    Everywhere that I walk with my feet is like pradakshina. <pradakshina is when you walk in circles around temple or around the image of the lord.>
    All the words I say are hymns in thy praise.
    Every action I perform is my worship of You alone.

11. gdkumar

gdkumar Member

Dear ChiefCowPie,

Thanks for the wonderful pieces. I wonder about you at times.
    It is a pity that some people go for the poison leaving the nectar.

In the last few days you have enriched me so much that I sincerely feel
    indebted to you. Please keep up the good job of educating all of us. Please give us more such stories.

With love.......Kumar.

12. ChiefCowpie

ChiefCowpie hugs and bugs

thank you gdkumar...i wonder about myself too...but hopefully with a little grace from Ramakrishna, i will wonder more about God

13. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

I'd like to share with you all this short quote from'The Teachings of Swami Vivekananda' - I think it is very beautiful, and very true!

"After long searches here and there, in temples and in churches, in earths and in heavens, at last you come back, completing the circle from where you started, to your own soul and find that He, for whom you have been seeking all over the world, for whom you have been weeping and praying in chuches and temples, on whom you were looking as the mystery of mysteries shrouded in the clouds, is nearest of the near, is your own Self, the Reality of your life, body and soul."

14. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Also - I'd like to post this link here to Sri Ramakrishna Kathamrita - a record of His conversations with various devotees recorded by Mahendra Gupta.

http://www.kathamrita.org/kathamrita.htm

As well as all the great insight and spiritual knowledge contained in this book, it also posesses a unique charm, and the personality of Sri Ramakrishna comes through very clearly.
    Hope someone finds that useful!

Om Sri Ramakrishnaya Nama!