squirrel head

Discussion in 'Art' started by MarkN, May 24, 2004.

1. MarkN

MarkN Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

:confused: I have an overwellming disire to make a paper mache squirrel head that I can wear. .......don't ask why.
    Ok, chicken wire.......news papers......

What is paper mache made of? I heard it was just a watered down paste of all purpose Flour and water? Or is it glue?

2. backtothelab

backtothelab Senior Member

I belive it is glue, water, and shreads of paper. Really though, it won't be very useful; you'd have to stay out of the rain. What if some crazy fiend hits you with a rock, what kind of protection will a squirrel provide? I suggest that you head to your local supermarket and buy a pinata. Empty and eat the contents, and shove your head inside. That would work much, much better

3. MarkN

Well grasshopper,
    The squirrel head will provide better protection than YOU getting hit in the head with a rock without one.

4. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

I've always used flour and water, but glue works better. Use two parts white glue to one part warm water, and soak some newspaper strips in it.

What I'd do is get some chicken wire (the hexagonal kind) and make a nice squirrel shaped head. Then cover it in paper mache, wait a day or two for it to dry, and paint it.

5. fi_J

fi_J Member

i've only used the water and flour paste... works fine (super cheap, easy and no animal products used!)

after you've painted, look for a sealer... some sort of varnish... if you want to wear it in the rain! this should also help protect the form, harden it, and keep the paint looking fresh.

i made a frosty the snowman head a few years ago, based on a large baloon, reinforced with strips of the metal ducting, and cut foam to give him cheeks, then covered with fabric. sewing to fit a form is a little tricky, but gave great results!

eyes and mouth i filled in with a double layer of cheese cloth coloured with black ink, to imitate the black mesh found in those professional jobs. you can see out, they can't see in.

have fun!!

6. MarkN

Sounds cool!
    thanx for the info about the cheese cloth, i want to be able to see.

7. Spyder

Spyder La dah de dah

haahaha, my god i love you, thats soo random!