Spotting Wildlife

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Meagain, May 21, 2013.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Took the Kayaks out yesterday to a local lake.

Saw a young bald eagle, 2 random snakes, lots of turtles and frogs, some fish, a few squirrels, nesting barn swallows, a female hooded merganser and her 9 ducklings, a male mallard, some kind of hawk, bluebirds, cardinals, robins, a few red wing blackbirds and a Baltimore oriole.

And the usual woodpeckers etc. at home.

Then at night the coyotes woke us up with their yapping.

2. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Awesome. :)

Except the snakes.

3. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Groovy man

4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Driving home today I passed one dead beaver, a squirrel, and one skunk lying on the side of the road :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

5. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

You forgot the dead partridge in the pear tree.

6. cynthy160

cynthy160 Senior Member

Kayaking is a unique way to see nature. It's also a way of seeing man-made things from a different perspective, such as bridges and buildings along rivers.

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

On Sunday I was sitting having my coffee and looking out my patio door and there was a baby rabbit sitting on the patio stones.

It was a cute bunny. It may become a damn rabbit though if it eats my flowers and herbs. :)

8. hotwater

I'm serious and the skunk really smelled bad :(

Hotwater

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

There was a dead skunk in the middle of the road for a few days on my route to work. Someone came along and cleaned it up and you can still smell it a couple of days later. It doesn't really smell bad to me though, just smells like good pot haha

10. machinist

machinist Banned Lifetime Supporter

today on the bike ride i saw two snakes.. both harmless. one was pretty big. i also saw two turkeys, one with 3 cute little striped chicks. i also saw some geese with goslings on campus.

11. hotwater

They pay a guy to do that but i wouldn't want that job for any amount of money :eek:

Hotwater

12. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

When our cat, Angel, got outside in a blizzard after we moved (indoor cat, never been outside, afraid of outside)... well, anyways, it's a really sad story as she truly was (is!) my angel and we never got her back. And we looked and looked .. did every damn thing we could... including getting some live/humane traps from a friend and putting them around at places stray/outdoor cats would hang out...
    never caught her but my point here is... we caught a lot of other cats but also would catch A LOT of skunks. So, few times a week we'd have to walk up to this trap and open the door to let the skunk out. That was scary!!
    The damn things wouldn't even leave when you'd open the door unless it was dark out either..
    that was so not fun!

13. wetsocks

wetsocks there's no one driving

one time i saw a deer

14. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Just once?

I see deer all the time.

There's tame ones near here. Deer are so cute. :)

15. MeAgain

We had a ground hog problem at one of our previous homes and would set a live trap to remove them.
    Caught a skunk one time so we threw a blanket over the cage and very gently loaded it into our PT Cruiser, which didn't have a separate trunk area. Then drove it ten miles away and let it loose. It was like driving a nitroglycerin truck.

That was before we learned the broccoli trick. Ground hogs love broccoli and nothing else will touch it, so that ended our odd animals in the trap problem.

We removed something like 30 groundhogs from our little 1/2 acre yard in two years. I think they were teleporting in for the broccoli.

16. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Haha... Yea we had a blanket over the trap all the time so it made it much easier to deal w the skunks...

We probably caught 10 skunks total. We also caught a couple groundhogs and possums.

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I've got a lot of animals on my new property, there's a doe that comes around stares directly at you wondering "why are you at my house..." There's a baby babbit in the front yard, she think's I'm the mean guy with the loud red thing that clear cuts her forest. There's a garter snake that lives under the Blue Spruce... He's a tuff guy but the mower wins the argument. I also have an orb living in the tree just out side my front door.

[​IMG]

I wonder, does the orb qualify as an alien?

18. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

I used to live at foothills in Pasadena and we used to get coyotes, possums, and skunks quite often. I fact someone I know recently had a bear rummaging in their garage.

19. MeAgain

I didn't know orbs could climb trees.

20. Ranger

Ranger Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

we have eagles, owls, hummingbirds, redbirds, deer, bear, havalina, snakes, bobcats, mountain lions, coyotes, etc here in the mountains of Arizona