SPOILERS**Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows**SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Fantasy Books' started by mr.morrison, Jul 23, 2007.

1. hummblebee

hummblebee hipstertist.

As soon as they said Harry would be the Godfather, I knew they'd get it. It seems like something that wouldn't necessarily be mentioned if it wouldn't play a major part later.

I thought the veil would come back, too. I was convinced it would play a part in the destruction of the horcruxes.

2. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

i kinda figured lupin would die, but tonks was a complete surprise

3. Morganna

Morganna Member

Whast did you think of the turnabout of Kreature. I did not see it coming but it makes perfect sense. Everyone needs love.

4. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

After finishing the sixth book, I thought this last one would basically be like Halo, you know, with the Master Cheif running around destroying the remaining rings.

But I was wrong. I loved this book, and I'm sad its over. I think, although no one else does, that it would be cool if a mini series of books on Harry's kids were made...

Any way, I was wondering: did anyone else constantly think Hagrid was going to die? I was so scared! And for Ron as well, but mainly for Hagrid. I found myself begging the book to keep the Hag-man alive.

You gotta think though: how much will the movie of this book suck? It will be exicting, for sure, but the movies, I know, are confusing to those who did not read the books. Well, they deserve it, those modernistic (wha??!!?) bastards!

O ya, I have to show off, I predicted the return of Ferienze, or what ever his name is (Im tired and jis finished the book, after spending all yesterday and today on it!)

Oh ya, I have a question. This book I understood...it was exciting and easy to read..but I was forced into reading the last ones, and I guess, for that reason, I was not totally into the books. So my understanding of the last one especially, is...well...
    Any way someone please explain WAT THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE IS, AND WHAT HE HAS TO DO WITH ANYTHING!! Is Snape him? Is it because his blood was half silver half blue? Or was it Draco? Aargh!!!

5. Morganna

Morganna Member

Harry found an old potions book which in the back said Property of the Half Blood Prince. It was writings in the margins including improvements on potions in the book and some writer-invented hexes. The Half Blood Prince, they find out in the end Is Severus Snape. He was born of a muggle named Tobias Snape and a witch named Eileen Prince, thereby making him a halfblood prince. It was interesting as you probably know Lord Voldemort was also half blood. His name was Tom Marvolo Riddle and he was born of Muggle father Tom Riddle and with mother, Merope Gaunt. It was supposed to forge a connection between the dark Lord and the DE Snape although Severus was indeed helping Dumbledore just I suspected for years. Does that help?

6. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

I don't think i'd read any kind of mini series...Maybe she could come up with some kind of decent story line, but mostly I think it'd be a rip, feeding off the popularity of the HP series.

But yeah, I was scared for Hagrid...I just knew he was gonna get axed! Especially the scene in the forbidden forest, when harry was 'killed', I thought he might go ape and end up getting himself killed while taking out 20 death eaters.

And if you said you read the 6th book, how could you not know who the half-blood prince was? Snape announced it during his flight from hogwarts with Harry chasing him. Draco was just a punk brat who bit off more than he could chew.

But I don't know what you're talking about at the end there, about snape's blood....unless your talking about when Voldy killed him. That wasn't blood, it was his memories, which harry bottled up and took to the pensieve. And if that's not what you're referring to, then I'm clueless.

7. s0ma

s0ma Member

Oh man, the Battle of Hogwarts was so damn epic, I can't wait to see how they do it in the movie. I was glad that Dumbledore still played a big part in this book. He was my favorite character and when Snape killed him, I thought all hope was lost. Talk about some crazy plot twists. I really didn't like the epilogue, though. It just felt awkward, except for the part where Malfoy kind of gives Harry an approving nod. I liked that part.

8. D_MAN

D_MAN Member

Thanks! Ya I remember now. lol :) it was a while ago. And ya, the were his memories...
    ok, and btw, i liked the epilouge, dunno why you guys dont. Its kinda cheezy, but I had to read it a few times.
    The battle of hogwarts was awesome, thats gonna look cool on the big screen, but the movie prolly wont turn out good...Itll be an awesome videogame though!!!

9. Morganna

Morganna Member

his blood? Just that he was half, just like the Dark Lord, with one magic parent and one muggle parent.

The prologue was neat. Harry and Ginny has three kids. Ron and Hermione had a kid, Draco and his unnamed wife had a kid. It seemed little after all the violence and death of the last chapter, but at least we got to see them.

10. imaginepeace

imaginepeace Livin' the Dream

I liked the cheesy ending. After being left in my room sobbing for two days I was really glad that it ended so happily ever after. I cryed everytime someone died, and I cryed when harry though he had been betrayed. I felt so edgy the whole time i was reading it wondering who else would die. over all wonderful wonderful book.

11. Witkacy

Witkacy Member

The death of Fred was the most awful death, in my opinion, because George has to go on living without Fred. I think that was the most heartbreaking thing Rowling could have done: kill one twin and leave the other alive without him. How could you, J.K.?

I expected more out of Draco, honestly. Rowling finally made him seem human, at least, but I thought he'd end up doing something slightly heroic. Ah well. At least the world now knows for sure: Snape is a certified Good Guy. A little emo, but a Good Guy. I never doubted him!

When Harry saw what was in Luna's room, I flipped out. I love Luna.

12. Roffa

Roffa Senior Member

hehe, yes I was wondering if Draco was going to turn noble by the end. There were some glimmerings when he was reluctant to identify Harry and Hermione.

Luna's my favourite character - those radish earrings do it for me ... I always go for the kooky ones.

13. moonshyne

moonshyne Approved by the FDA

Snape wasn't a good guy. He had an unhealthy obsession with Lily, and thats the single reason why he didn't do Harry in. He was willing to allow James and Harry to die as long as he got to keep Lily...until Dumbledore told him what a creep he was for that.

JKR said in a interview this week that if Harry had not been Lily's son, he never would have cared whether he lived or died.

I agree that he was extrodinarily brave, but it was not entirely for the right reasons. Snape was not concerned with the state of the world, who lived or died and so forth. He was terribly biased and cruel, and he mocked harry and his father AND his godfather every single chance he could. These are not the traits of a 'good guy.' He hated harry because he was his father's son, and only kept him safe for Lily's sake, seeing as how she died for him in the first place and it was Snape's fault for telling Voldemort the prophecy.

It ended up working out for the better in the end, but I'll never see him as a good guy.

14. Witkacy

Witkacy Member

To quote Into the Woods, "nice is different than good." Of course Snape only wanted to protect Harry because he was Lily's son. Harry would never have been so bent on killing Voldemort if he hadn't killed Harry's parents, either. No one acts without a reason. The people in Rowling's world, just as the people in this one, all have their own motives, be they noble or sordid. Snape was in love (to the point of obsession, yes) with a woman who didn't love him back and married a person who tormented him. Snape could have as easily betrayed Harry for being James' son as protected him for being Lily's. He ultimately chose to protect him. His love for Lily was stronger than his hatred of James. And if Harry's got the mystical power of love going on for him (gag me with a spoon, J.K.), then I say so does Snape. He was not a knight in shining armor, kind to all and willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good. But he was a lonely, bitter man that no one ever loved who chose to put his life on the line to protect the son of the woman that he loved (who may well have been the only person he ever really cared about). Did he make Harry's life miserable? Every chance he got. But he did what he could to keep Harry safe. Is he "good" good? No. But in my book, when it comes right down to it where it really counts, he is good.

Isn't it funny how we care so much about these fictional people?

15. Morganna

Morganna Member

As Dumbledore once said, "The world is not split between good people and death eaters." He was referring to Delores Umbrage in that quote, but I think Snape could easily have been included. Rowling once said she saw every character as redeemable except for Voldemort. Severus made may mistakes, as did other people, but in the end, he did the right thing, gave his entire life in doing the right thing. Imagine having no real friends, having to be seperate, in essence form everyone, people talking about you on both side, the mistrust and hatred everywhere. It must have been the lonliest life. I could not live like like with no one to confide in, but then again, it is close to where I feel I am now.

Perhaps this is why we care, we see ourselves in them.

16. pianoperson60

pianoperson60 Senior Member

the book was so awesome!!! about halfway into the book, i was thinking two things:
    1.) im already halfway thru, and harry still hasnt figured out much of the horcruxes, so how is he gonna accomplish that in only half of a book???
    and
    2.) how the hell is Jk rowling gonna tie everything up????????

but she did! and it was perfect, i dont know if ive ever read a book that has sooooooooooooo many loose ends come together, its amazing, the control and creativity she has with these story lines...everything in every book was so carefully planned........JK ROWLing is truely an artist.

17. HippyFreek

HippyFreek Vintage Member

No, JK announced that it was Arthur Weasely that got a reprieve from Death. Hagrid, she's never really had an intent to die off. His role has always been to carry a "dead" Harry from the Forbidden Forest.

I really thought the veil would have played a bigger part. I was surprised when it didn't. :(

18. Morganna

Morganna Member

Cute baby.

I did too. I thought we'd be seeing alot more of Sirius.

After the King's cross station scene, I've been imagining Sev, Remus and all who were lost all as kids again playing at hogwarts one more time. All innocent kids, no more rivalries or hate.

19. OctopusNightstand

OctopusNightstand Member

Sounds like it had a purpose, Fred dying at least for me got the largest emotional response of all the characters dying. She made you as sad as if you had lost your own brother, and instilled the need for revenge in the reader as well as in the characters of the book. Personally i think Fred dying was perfect, but at some points i almost wanted to stop reading to avoid having more characters that I've known for 10 years die. That book is depressing as hell.

-- Does anyone here wonder whether or not a movie for the 7th book would ever be possible to do without it being butchered. Its gruesome as hell, and even has the closest thing to F*CK i've ever seen in a scholastic book. But if they make a movie, it will turn out an attempted kid friendly/completely abandon the emotional triggers in the movie AKA no fear, no sorrow, no anger.. The fourth movie seems like it was the best at telling its story, the 5th movie lacked in story but the action scenes in it were fantastic. That plus the great story telling in the 4th would make the 7th movie epic. Anyone else?

20. mr.morrison

mr.morrison Senior Member

i dont know. i think i got more sad when dobby died. she dwelled on it longer, and really made you feel sad with the whole buriel scene. Fred's death, like many of the main charecters was gone over so fast. "castle got blown up, OH SHIT FRED'S DEAD. *percy cries*, this sucks." then its done. same with lupin and tonks. she rushes over that.