Spiritual & Philosophical wisdom

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Deidre, May 8, 2018.

1. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

"Perhaps the deepest reason why we are afraid of death is because we do not know who we are. We believe in a personal, unique, and separate identity. But if we dare to examine it, we find that this identity depends entirely on an endless collection of things to prop it up: our name, our "biography," our partners, family, home, job, friends, credit cards. It is on their fragile and transient support that we rely for our security. So when they are all taken away, will we have any idea of who we are?

Without our familiar props, we are faced with just ourselves, a person we do not know, an unnerving stranger with whom we have been living all the time but we never really wanted to meet. Isn't that why we have tried to fill every moment of time with noise and activity, however boring or trivial, to ensure that we are never left in silence with this stranger on our own?"

Sogyal Rinpoche

2. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Ahimsa Paramo Dharmah -- Nonviolent behavior and conduct is the supreme duty and virtue. (Ancient Sanskrit saying)

Compassion is all inclusive. Compassion knows no boundaries. Compassion comes with awareness, and awareness breaks all narrow territories.
    ~ Amit Ray

All countries in the world are territories of evil. ~ Rama ( Yoga Vasistha)

“When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.” ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

Kindness and awareness work together. Through awareness we understand the underlying beauty of everything and every being. ~ Amit Ray

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    themnax likes this.
  3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

"There is nothing so extravagant and irrational which some philosophers have not maintained for truth." Johnathan Swift - Gulliver's Travels.

4. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

If you help the poor, you are lending to the LORD–and he will repay you! ~ Proverbs 19:17

Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. ~ Jesus Christ ( Matthew 25:40)

He who attends on the sick attends on me. ~ Buddha ( Mahavagga 8.26.1-8 )

"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of selfishness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared, if there were someone to receive their gift. But because beings do not know, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they eat without having given. The stain of selfishness overcomes their minds." ~ Buddha (Vagga.sutta: Iti 1.1-27)

If any men or creatures come to you, do not discourteously drive them away, but receive them well and treat them with due respect. Sri Hari (God) will certainly be pleased if you give water to the thirsty, bread to the hungry, clothes to the naked, and your verandah to strangers for sitting and resting. If anybody wants any money from you and you are not inclined to give, do not give, but do not bark at him like a dog." ~ Shirdi Sai Baba

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    themnax and Running Horse like this.
  5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if you knew where the unpleasantness you experience comes from, would you willingly contribute to making it so?

yet this is what people blind themselves to when they refuse to look beyond what they think they know.

when they believe they live in a universe that begins and ends with what people tell each other.

when instead, people use logic to look beyond seeing themselves, as the center, or any one thing that people tell each other as the center either,
    when they look at the shapes and relationships between things themselves and not words about them,
    that is when the real morality, of how we make what we ignorantly call the world, becomes self evident.

that is how i read that v.s.1.1-27. not as buddha claiming some special dispensation to himself, but as what each of us can see, when we choose to open our own eyes.

Running Horse likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Becoming awake requires you to see your confusion more clearly - Rumi

Rumi's the best.

7. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Rumi only wished he could do what I do with words.

8. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

lol

9. wooleeheron

Soon enough, the computers will make everyone look clumsy. That's what Rumi never understood, is that his words are mathematical as much as anything else. Already, the newest linguistic AI can speak English better than the average person. They will start writing their own autobiographies any day now. Words mean something completely different, to those who never attempt to own them and romanticize them. We share them more often in the public domain too.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  10. Everything can't be summed up in a nice, neat little equation. The sooner you figure that out the better. You're closer to the mark when you say not everything makes sense, because, indeed, not everything is mathematical in nature. In fact, nothing is mathematical in nature, with the possible exception of mathematics itself.

11. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Rumi spoke from the heart, though. I sometimes wonder what these great philosophers would have thought of today's technology. Would they have had the same impact in today's culture?

12. wooleeheron

Mother Nature is your every little bitch, she will be whatever you need her to be.

13. wooleeheron

Wisdom philosophy has not been popular in over a century, and what I do is anathema in the hallowed halls, which prefer to design weapons of mass destruction and complain about their own students destroying the planet. An academic once asked me what can be done to prevent the obvious long list of catastrophes now awaiting humanity, and I told him to find out who is teaching the assholes to destroy the planet faster. I was speaking from the heart, but I got kicked off every academic website open to the public, for using their own evidence to make my point.

The Supreme Court would kill Socrates, while the KKK would burn Jesus alive upside down on the cross, then throw his body over the border. There are no good politicians left, because they are too smart to get involved in total insanity. Lao Tzu would laugh like the idiot he was, and start writing. Half the authors of the Tao Te Ching are believed to have been academics, who made their contributions anonymously, because it criticizes corruption in their own institutions. I'm working on an interactive version for academics with stunted senses of humor.

That's the power of modern technology, is you can't stop the signal. The truth is out there and will make itself known.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  14. wooleeheron

She can be that too.

15. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Yoga is a generic name for any discipline by which one attempts to pass out of the limits of one's ordinary mental consciousness into a greater spiritual consciousness. ~ Sri Aurobindo

The consciousness of the seer, is a greater power for knowledge than the consciousness of the thinker. The perceptual power of the inner sight is greater and more direct than the perceptual power of thought. ~ Sri Aurobindo

Outside and above the mind there is the play of a consciousness which is lighted by the higher Truth, but man is not conscious of it and of that he has to be conscious. ~ Sri Aurobindo

Evolution of consciousness is the central motive of terrestrial existence. ~ Sri Aurobindo

16. wooleeheron

90% of this game is half-mental. Yogi Berra

17. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

Equanimity is a perfect, unshakable balance of mind.- Nyanaponika Thera

“Maintaining equanimity of mind in all situations should be our focus. It verily is the goal,” - Mata Amritanandamayi

Equanimous mind gives rise to a heightened awareness. - Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Your mindfulness will only be as robust as the capacity of your mind to be calm and stable. Without calmness, the mirror of mindfulness will have an agitated and choppy surface and will not be able to reflect things with any accuracy. - Jon Kabat-Zinn

18. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

“Love is an irresistible desire, to be irresistibly desired.” - Robert Frost

bluewatersurfer likes this.