Spin Masters

Discussion in 'The Media' started by wooleeheron, Jan 22, 2021.

1. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

https://phys.org/news/2021-01-importance-language.html

This article is a good example of how the wealthy use academics to spin the mass media, often merely by funding whatever researchers interest them, and compelling universities to hire spin masters. These people claim to be linguists, but don't even recognize that English has two grammars, and not one. They are increasingly working for the government and Homeland Security, helping to censor the internet, tend to be militant atheists, and often urge the government to censor the same students they teach, for their own protection. They are complete assholes, and it helps to know just how they write, with this being a good example of their latest use of contextual vagueness.

They are such flaming idiots, they actually believe they know more about language, than anyone on earth.

2. wooleeheron

I decided a quick breakdown of their writing might be helpful. If you notice, the article reads like an episode of the Twilight Zone, and suggests that language is "murky" and somehow a deeply profound mystery, only the great Noam Chomsky can solve, and they ask a sociologist to confirm their suspicion. They even make the absurd statement that "We never agree 100% on what words mean." Dead is dead, five years dead, is dead. These people are sooooo stupid, its hard to explain just how elaborate their stupidity gets, with this being a particularly good example of just how full of crap they are and what we can expect in the near future.

3. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The article isn't bad. It fairly indicates that people are talking past each other, instead of with each other. Public speech is increasingly two simultaneous monologues each attempting to drown-out the other, not a back-and-forth conversation.

One person's terrorist is another person's freedom fighter. It's always been so. The article that irritated you so takes no position on whether anyone in particular is participating in an insurrection or an uprising. It offers no opinion on the contours and limits of the First Amendment rights of speech and public assembly; it simply observes that disagreements exist, and they aren't going to be settled by tweet. It highlights that bias influences the words chosen by any speaker.

Disputes about the plain meaning of words often take years to resolve in the courts. Language is ever-changing. Couch or sofa? One of my grandmothers consistently referred to it as a davenport. The world didn't stop until we agreed on a single term for a piece of furniture. We managed to find a place to sit anyway.

Whether an event that has occurred is more accurately described as a "deadly protest" or a "mostly peaceful protest" has mostly to do with where the speaker's sympathies are. The two terms aren't mutually exclusive. Things are rarely 100 percent one way or another. Call 'em as you see 'em, but listen to what others have to say. You might learn something. If you listen, you may encourage someone else to listen when it's your turn to speak.

wrat1 and wilsjane like this.
  4. wooleeheron

The article is propaganda designed to keep people fat, happy, and stupid. It promotes common misconceptions about English, such as that it has only one grammar, and that its impossible to use a damned dictionary. This is what they teach in school, and it promotes their students working harder and arguing over the definition of stupid. I've been booted off countless websites for pointing out academics are apparently incapable of teaching a child how to use a dictionary and are killing their own students according to their own evidence. Assholes, I write my book for their children, so they have a chance.

5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I made a Dictionary for children . Since copies of the little book were hand-made (artfully bound) , two public libraries and one college library accepted them for their archives . The last page of this book gives instructions for spinning words . 100 copies were made . It has existence . shhh

6. wooleeheron

So tell me, what criteria did you use for selecting the definitions of words? Dice?

7. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The definitions can be referenced from these perspectives : ancient writings and symbols (primitive) , the logic of intuitive linguistics (Dr. John Weilgart) , and the authority of children .

Oh , I suppose dice is nice .... five 30-sided die would be fun . But dice thrown by a computer random generator would just not do . Conciousness must be touchable .

[​IMG]

This Language Wheel is what you would see at work
    at a Rainbow Gathering , perhaps at Trade Circle . It
    has been described as a philosopher's toy . On a city
    street it can earn spare change .

Spin to the same stone 3 times in a row and be an honored
    Spin Master .

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I class 'spin' as the fine art of quoting out of context.
    It happened to me when a single sentence "Gustav Mahler is probably turning over in his grave" was a single quote taken from a 30 minute conversation that was not even an interview.

9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Understanding this sentence requires context .

10. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Even if it is nonsense .

11. wooleeheron

Ahhh, you are obviously a great teacher with much to offer toddlers.

12. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You are obviously .
    Dead to me .

13. wooleeheron

Some of my best friends are dead.

14. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Opposition as at your center , and you have not mastered it positively . Almost ...
    try reverse speech therapy . I suppose you are familiar with stream of consciousness
    that is sensible forwards and backwards . Proper English is a translation of
    the primal .

15. wooleeheron

LOL, the linguistics I am developing can be used to keep you happy and entertained online forever, using a few dollars worth of electricity and bots.

16. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You keep on developing , ok .

17. wooleeheron

My path is fated, and I could not stop if I wanted to.

18. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

You will not keep me entertained on-line . This is it . I've
    something un-plugged to do . Best wishes .

19. NubbinsUp

NubbinsUp Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Red flag alert - you say: "I've been booted off countless websites...." Whatever the reasons, it's telling.
    "Grammar" is a collective noun. There are more than two books of grammar, and there is certainly some disagreement among them, but the core is the same, and there's still only one grammar per language. Grammar is the whole system.

You may not like my "Warriner's English Grammar and Composition," and you may prefer an earlier or later version of it than mine, another book entirely, or several other books. Court cases have turned on the exact meaning and application of the virgule. Debates rage over such things as the correct pronoun for a particular situation, whether an English noun derived from Greek in pure form in the singular needs to take the Greek plural form when plural in English, and the Oxford comma, but English is one language, and it has only one grammar. There are variations, preferences, predilections, and proclivities. How you determined that there are two, and exactly two, English grammars, and your tendentious approach to advancing such a position, are perhaps the reasons you keep getting booted off websites.

20. wooleeheron

The books are all fucking wrong. A study of toddlers proved Chomsky was wrong all along, and children acquire grammar the hard way, by crunching the numbers. An examination of how English is used, concluded it has two grammars, one vague and one explicit, that compensate for rather high error rates. English is a language of compulsive liars, with a strong majority believing in things like common sense and conventional wisdom, which have never been proven to exist anywhere in the world. In other words, you cannot trust native English speakers, to teach English properly and they frequently reject and suppress the truth.

Among other things, our conscious thoughts have proven to physically emerge from our unconscious emotions, and grammar has proven to be related to the proximity of syntax in the brain. In other words, to describe English requires networking systems logics that are anathema in English speaking cultures.