Speech Writing

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by cutelildeadbear, Jan 14, 2005.

1. cutelildeadbear

cutelildeadbear Hip Forums Gym Rat

Does anyone have any tips that they can share with me. this is the first time I've taken any sort of communications course. Last Wednesday was my first class and I already have an assignment of giving a 3 to 5 minute speech on someone "inspiring" whatever the f that means. But he hasn't yet gone over what exactly we are supposed to do. He told us not to write it down. He said that we could use note cards, but not to write out or memorize an entire speech. Makes sense, but is there anything else I should be doing.

Also, I'm going to post this question elsewhere to get as much feedback as possible, but I need help coming up with a topic. I'm a pretty strong writer and even better bull shitter, but I cannot for the life of me think of anyone inspiring. I mean it should be someone who inspires me, because that would make it easier to talk about. The prof. said it could be someone famous, or someone that we just know personally. Once I get this obstacle out of the way, I should be able to ramble on for 5 minutes. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Jen

2. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

Come on, dear, there's millions. You're not trying. Don't be lazy. Now let's see: Jesus, Buddha, Mohamed, Gandhi, JFK, Lincoln, Martin Luther King, Muhamad Ali, Marx, Nietzsce, Plato, Aristotle, Alexander, Napoleon, Galileo, Newton, Leonardo, Archimedes, Ramses II, St.Frances of Assissi, Picasso, Confucius, Sho Tzun, Bruce Lee, Nelson Mandela, Mother Theresa, Freud, Patton, Romel, John Lennon, Janis Joplin, Chairman Mao, Julius Caesar, Constantine I, Hemmingway, Yuri Gagarin, Neil Armstrong, Malcolm X, Davy Crocket, Bart Simpson, Walt Disney, Marilyn Monroe, Marlon Brando.
    Choose one that interests you, do a search on the web, write some notes, make thesis, get award. Good luck!

3. cutelildeadbear

LOL no I'm not being lazy in the least bit. You tell me exactly how these people have inspired you, because none of them have inspired me personally. I mean I don't get up every day and do what I do because of any of these people. It isn't supposed to be someone who interests you, it is supposed to be a mentor. I haven't got one.

4. cutelildeadbear

Honestly, the only person I can think to write about is my boyfriend, who has supported everything that I want to do and believe in (even when he thinks I'm wrong) and has pushed me to go far beyond anything that I could have imagined. I just feel weird giving a speech about my boyfriend.

5. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

OK. Try and be analytical about everything you do. As an exercise, try asking yourself questions that might lead to someone famous who might have a touch of influence on you:
    Why did I choose my favorite clothes?
    Why do I listen to that music?
    Why do I like that actor/actress?
    Who do I want to look like when I go to the gym?
    Which period in time would I have liked to live if I was given a choice?
    What was my favorite lesson in school?
    Is there a politician that I actually like?
    If I ruled a country and I had a telephone that could reach any person in any century, who would I call for advice?
    If I was an actress, who would I like to portray?
    Anyway, I was only kidding when I called you lazy. Try and capture someone's face whilst you're answering these questions and if you still have difficulty let me know.

6. cutelildeadbear

I knew you were kidding, that is why I laughed. The thing is I really have learned in life not to look to others. I suppose that could be a good thing and a bad thing. The questions you gave me though were a good start. I thought about them, but I'm not sure how to answer them for example:

I choose my favorite clothes because they are comfortable and colorful and what I consider cute, even though most others probably wouldn't think that they are trendy. I'm just a jeans and top kinda gal and I like to be a little different. And I like to just make things up and put them together and see if I can start a trend. Notice how everyone started wearing pink and brown all of a sudden well I have been doing that for 5 years. People are funny. :)

As far as music, I try my very best to be open minded and listen to everything. It all depends on what I'm in the mood for. I like music that gives me a happy feeling most of the time. Stuff that I can sing and act silly to. I go from Motown through all of the 70's music to 80's pop and punk, to the 90's grunge, pop, alternative, up to now with rap/hip hop, rock, pop, jamband music, bluegrass, folk, blues, jazz. So I really can't come up with a reason, other than the influence I suppose my parents had, and that I like to feel good.

Why do I like a particular actor or actress? Hmm this is interesting, there is only one actress that I really like. I mean I've seen all of her movies. And I guess the reason I like her is because she reminds me of myself or who I'd like to be more like. She sweet and friendly, quiet, but she knows what she wants and goes after it. She had a tough time growing up, but made it through and is stronger because of it. I did consider writing about her, but I thought it might be somewhat silly to write about an actress. (Yes, I'm that self conscious).

The question about the gym really struck a chord with me because I'm an exercise science major. Sure I'd like to look like some of the women body builders out there on certain days, then I'd like to just look like Gabrielle Reece other days, or like myself other days. Again it all depends on how I feel. Honestly, my goal isn't to look like anyone, but to be the healiest and strongest that I can be. I want to be me.

There are many periods in time I'd like to live in, if it weren't now, it'd be the late 60's time so I could be part of a revolution of sorts. But I don't think that is saying a lot.

Hmmm lesson in school. Well that didn't happen until 2 years ago at the uni here, where I learned to do research on all sides of a topic, even if I already have formed an opinion, because I could learn something just by keeping an open mind and I might very well change my view. Which really did happen.

A politician I like. Hmmm that is really tough. I'll have to get back to you on that.

And I don't like telephones, so I'd have to email someone. But I don't know who I would ask for advice. Probably my boyfriend. He is the only one I really trust.

So from this I suppose we have found that I'm completely narcissistic and ego centric (tell me something I don't know). But it did help me think through some things. Thanks again. I have a few people in mind now.

7. superNova

superNova Member

it sounds like your boyfriend comes into your mind first, so you should write about him! :) is there any reason you don't want to? i mean i know you said it made you feel weird, but why?

8. cutelildeadbear

I don't know really why it would make me feel weird. It is almost as if I could see someone talking about their husband or wife being an inspiration, but it just seems strange to me to get up in front of a bunch of people and talk about Jeremy. I mean, I talk about him all of the time anyway, and I know him well, so I won't have to do research and he honestly does inspire me. I mean I wouldn't have even gone back to school if it weren't for him believing in me and helping me through it. So, I think that I am going to write/speak about him.

Now, I'm not exactly sure how to write a speech as I've never done it, so I'm going to have to look up some of that info. Thanks everyone for the help. You guys rock. :)

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

communication triangle should work on a shortie:
    picture a triangle, point up. At the top: WHAT? rt corner: WHY? lft corner HOW?
    give a minute to each and voila speech. Say you do use Jeremy. who is he, in a paragraph. Not his relation to you but who he is in the world. This is where you say he inspires you because of XYZ, or to do XYZ.
    WHY? here is where you rationalize and illustrate WHY WHO he is fires you up to do whatever.
    lastly HOW he does it (standard setting, your competetiveness, cheerleading, whatever) and HOW it impacts your life. (the I achieve this or I'm a better person for it type of thing...get creative to keep it from sounding maudlin.
    open with a quick "I'm talking about" and recap "J gets me off the couch and into the gym with his whatever. that is why he inspires me tralala."
    run through it with an eye on the clock before class as many speech instructors dock for time over.
    Good luck!

10. cutelildeadbear

wow drumminmama, you are really good at this, thank you so very much for the tips, i'm really excited to do my homework now. LOL! Ok ok so I've always been excited to do English homework, but now I feel even more confident. Thank you. :)