spam sushi or rather Spam Musubi

Discussion in 'Meat' started by scarlettchasingroses, Dec 17, 2005.

1. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

i can't even imagine eating spam, let alone spam sushi...but i found this recipe and thought i would share....apparently this recipe has origins in hawaii, can anyone verify that there are hawaiians who actually make this and eat it?

Spam Musubi
    2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
    2 cups water
    6 tablespoons rice vinegar
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup oyster sauce
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1 (12 ounce) container fully cooked luncheon meat (e.g. Spam)
    5 sheets sushi nori (dry seaweed)
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Soak uncooked rice for 4 hours; drain and rinse. In a saucepan bring 2 cups water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in rice vinegar, and set aside to cool. In a separate bowl, stir together soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Slice luncheon meat lengthwise into 10 slices, or to desired thickness, and marinate in sauce for 5 minutes. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook slices for 2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned. Cut nori sheets in half and lay on a flat work surface. Place a rice press in the center of the sheet, and press rice tightly inside. Top with a slice of luncheon meat, and remove press. Wrap nori around rice mold, sealing edges with a small amount of water. (Rice may also be formed by hand in the shape of the meat slices, 1 inch thick.) Musubi may be served warm or chilled.

2. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

lol, spam sushi... *klassy*! :)

but does look good though....

3. SucculentFlower

SucculentFlower earthfirst!

it's sold all over here, one can substitute cooked fish, chicken, sausage, tofu. it's like an asain styled burrito to eat on the run, but instead of a tortilla one uses nori. The rice is also salty, as compared to sushi rice, which is sweet/vinegary... you can also use brown rice. Dip it in something too...

4. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

I saw this on Bizarre Foods and I have wanted it like wo ever since. I love spam. :D

5. TheSystemOrange

TheSystemOrange Member

I live in the town where Spam is made. We have a Spam museum and Spam flags on most of our light posts. It's disgusting. The Hormel plant is located in town and it fills the entire area with a hint of Spam and bacon and pig shit.
    I know that Hawaiians really do love Spam. When we have our SpamJam there are always a lot of people who come from Hawaii just to experience it. It's crazy lol.

6. bubbler211

bubbler211 Member

the word spam is simply short for spiced ham,or that is what my dad use to say

7. FireflyInTheDark

FireflyInTheDark Sell-out with a Heart of Gold

It is, but it's also pretty heavily processed so that it will never rot, making it perfect GI food. :p

8. AcidConspiracy

AcidConspiracy Member

Spam on a stick over campfire till crispy on the outside is the best way to enjoy

9. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

Spam musubi is fire I don't care what anyone says