SpaceX launch a success!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by MeAgain, Feb 6, 2018.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Elon Musk launches his personal Tesla into solar orbit!

Minutes ago the rocket soared into space carrying his private Tesla with a dummy at the wheel.

[​IMG]
    The boosters then landed successfully to be used again!

The Tesla will orbit forever playing a loop of Bowie's Space Oddity.

rollingalong and jmadre like this.
  2. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I watched it, I didn't really know the background details but it seems like some interesting exploration on the horizon.

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

He seemed to have abandoned the Tesla company itself though.

Some strange stuff going on.

4. MeAgain

Really looked like science fiction as two of these puppies landed together.
    [​IMG]

jmadre and Kerri like this.
  5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its still a ridiculous cost though.

$90 million per launch for 70 tonnes, thats about 3 cement trucks. Better than anything nasa previuosly had.

But still nowhere near commercially viable for anything.

You'd have to get that down to under $5million for 70 tonnes

6. MeAgain

This guy is putting his money where his mouth is, investing heavily in high tech endeavors with big payoffs instead of wasting it on decades of old proven things...like coal or some stupid thing like that.

As of 2017:
    Go for it!

7. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

He's too intelligent to just make a car. He wants bigger things for man.

8. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

It was freakin brilliant. I fkin LOVE the 21st century.

9. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Welllllll, the fuel was kerosene, so.....................

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

great another junk car in space.

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Faaaake.

12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Elon Musk is an interesting fella

13. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

When I heard of this, it bothered me. What is the point?....and why do we need a telsa to orbit forever? for what reason?
    I am for space exploration and things of that nature, but this seems rather pointless to me. There are enough threats of things from outer space hitting the earth and wiping us out, and the more crap we launch shit up there for no good reason.....the more we are garbaging the heavens....and who is to say....these things won't fall on someone's head someday?

relaxxx likes this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Well, you call him a visionary.

I'd say he is the biggest con artist on the planet at the moment

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

.....or, he knows there is no way to get self driving cars to work, and he bails before everyone is like "hey, wheres my friggin money?"

16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you are missing the point...this was a test...they have to send something out as a test of the system so why no a car?....you should be happy we don't send monkeys anymore that get euthanized up in space before they too orbit forever.......you have a cellphone at the very least...it has an invisible beam straight up to one of those satelites every time you turn it on....how do you think they figured that shit out?......did you want them to stop testing once your phone was working because moonbeam didn't need a biggier satellite?

i usully do not get excited over space shit but the launch was truly mesmerizing

Asmodean and MeAgain like this.
  17. MeAgain

The sending of the car was a publicity stunt, remember this is a private company and it has to raise funding as it gears up to become profitable.
    SpaceX is working to become the cheapest way of sending heavy payloads into space. They managed to recover two of the three boosters used for the lift greatly reducing the cost of each launch, no one else in the world has accomplished that feat.

The benefits of space flight are too numerous to list including everything from battery powered hand tools to enriched baby food. NASA claims at least 1,800 everyday items resulting from their research.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    GeorgeJetStoned and rollingalong like this.
  18. Pete's Draggin'

Pete's Draggin' Visitor

I watched the YouTube of the falcon lift off and it was awesome.

Elon Musk and I are close in age. I know when he was growing up he had a dream. That car idea was planted by a movie intro. Imo, He woke up one day and said " I'm going to make that car in space happen irl"
    Elon got it visually almost perfect to the movie. Aside from different car and landing.

Heavy Metal 1981

Orison likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

https://www.cars.com/articles/2013/11/how-quickly-does-the-tesla-model-s-battery-charge/ and Electric Cars--How Much Does It Cost per Charge?

I guess it's much cheaper to drive a Tesla. They need to make more places to charge up. Like every gas station. It presently costs me about $3.00+ to buy a gallon of gas. According to Scientific American it's approximately $.75 of charge for the same amount of mileage as a gas powered engine.

EDIT: Considering the amount of time it takes to charge (about an hour for a full charge with a range of 300 miles) I can just imagine getting to a gas station and there being a couple people already charging their ev's. :sweat:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Is she really missing the point?

The launch is on youtube, it was pretty bizarre, Nikelodean like presenters, at the end there was a red sports car with a mannequin in space, a hitchers guide to the galaxy Dont Panic sign on the dash. Rocket part was cool, some very high def cameras, but it was weird

This test was a success, but what is he going to send where next time, and how often

I dont see a viable business model, how is he going to keep all those people on the payroll if no one wants to send anything anywhere often enough

50 years since the moon landings next year, and in 2018 this is where we are?