Soy.....

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Ashalicious, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

My trainer told me something interesting yesterday. He said that if I am trying to get lean, I should stay away from tofu and soy products. Apparently it is loaded with estrogen, and weight gain occurs when there isn't a healthy balance of estrogen in the body.

This is kind of a drag, because I LOVE tofu, especially with sushi. Oh well. It looks like I'll be getting most of my protein from Whey now.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

3. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Aren't you naturally thin? I'm sure you won't gain an ounce even if you eat a ton. Anyways, my golden rule is that soy and all that stuff is good. I'm not going to sit here and argue on whether it's better or worse than more conventional food items, like meat. But, it's best to stick with nature, as fruits and vegetables. It always goes back to that. Every lifestyle, every diet, every fab will always need their fruits and veggies, despite every other food item being really bad and really good for you.

Personally, I enjoy soy. And I haven't gain weight from it. At least not anything noticeable. However, if I eat it often it does give me a stomach ache. But, that is pretty much for anything. I tend to eat the same stuff, because of convenience. But, that's not a very good eating habit.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Soy is not especially good for anything, wether it is your body or the environment. Although in moderation everything is more bearable.

5. Ashalicious

I am not "naturally" thin. I have a great body because I work hard for it. Genetically, I carry and gain weight in my thighs and ass. If I eat carelessly, then this is the first place that I start to show weight. My tummy has always been naturally flat though, which is nice.

I enjoy soy as well. I LOVE the taste of soy milk. and tofu. I even crave it. However, when my trainer specifically says to me "If you want to get lean, especially in your legs, I would stay away from the tofu and soy", then I am going to listen to him. I don't pay him the big bucks to not take his advice when he gives it to me.

6. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I don't like soy milk. Prefer almond or coconut milk. However, tofu is pretty good. As for my naturally thin comment, sorry... if I offended you. It's just from my experience so many women have claim to be naturally thin that now I think all women who are thin are naturally thin. It's hard for me to put on weight, but I wouldn't say I'm naturally thin. I'm too short to be considered thin. I'm more or less average. You're thin. That's what I consider thin. I'm a fatass in comparison, lol. And yes, I would take what your instructor says. It makes the most sense.

7. Ashalicious

Aba, you didn't offend me at all. In fact, you asking if I'm naturally thin was much more a compliment. Thank you.

8. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I think fermented soy products in moderation can be good for you still. The processed tofu in the grocery store though? Thats not good for anyone.

9. abarambling

abarambling Banned

You're welcome.

10. Mattekat

Plus you'd still be hot even if you did gain a bit of weight! I still think too much tofu might not be a good idea though. There's a lot of conflicting info out there on soy though so who knows

11. Ashalicious

It just tastes so fucking good! Agadashi tofu is my world. Well, it WAS my world.

12. Mattekat

I know I love tofu too. Have you tried tempeh?

13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I try to keep it in the "once in a while" category. There is no need for it in a plant-based diet, and like your trainer said, it's estrogen-like and an endocrine disrupter.

There is such a variety of nut milks and other plant milks, that I've forgotten all about soy milk. And tempeh, beans, nuts, quinoa, lentils, etc., are all great sources of protein. On the other hand, the average vegetarian does not need to monitor their protein intake, as long as they eat a diverse whole food diet.

14. Ashalicious

I am working out 6 days a week, though, so I definitely need to monitor my protein intake.

What the heck is Tempeh?

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

a fermented soy product.

16. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

The only soy products I will eat is fermented soy. It doesn't have have the same properties as non-fermented soy, which is NOT a health food as it is marketed as. Plus, most of the soy sold has been genetically-modified, which alone is a good reason to avoid it. Eating it once in a while probably won't hurt you, but I would not make a steady diet of it.

17. Vasssue

Vasssue Members

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I have a special bag for it.

1 person likes this.
  19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

It's a personal trainer, not a nutritionist/dietician.

Would you have a hair stylist tell you how to fix a car?

20. Ashalicious

Definitely.