South African President Traditional Dance

Discussion in 'People' started by Aerianne, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I ran across this on another site and just thought it was interesting.

This is South Africa's President, Jacob Zuma. He is a Zulu. This is him participating in a Zulu dance in traditional Zulu dress.

[​IMG]

2. Lafincoyote

Lafincoyote Member

Being Cherokee I can understand his respect and participation in his heritage.

3. deleted

deleted Visitor

what are those K-Swiss shoes?,.. :D

4. Aerianne

I'm glad to see him taking care of his feet if he needs to, but not letting that stop him from participating in the history of his heritage.

Pretty cool.

5. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yeah ...that reminds me of the natives here all dressed up in their customary pow wow garb dancing around and drumming .............................and then you notice the walmart sweatpants

7. Aerianne

Got a pic of something like that?

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

hard to find exactly what i described...you kind of have to be there

[​IMG]

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

its chilly in canada.. lol

actually some the pow wows here. The park is full of glass: participants are warned about sharp object in the park, shoes for dance are recommended to lessen injury and make the pow wow a more pleasant experience for all..

10. Aerianne

Oh yeah...jeans would be better.

Stacy and Clinton from "What Not To Wear", say that jeans go with everything, lol

11. deleted

deleted Visitor

12. dwight78

dwight78 Member

I'm sick and tired of "heritage" and "Tradition." I'm African and I can assure you those pieces of bull are keeping the continent back. A lot of modern states also had traditions but moved on. If tradition was song and dance and dress, well maybe it wouldn't matter. But a lot of wrong values are defended as tradition, for example FGM and male circumcision when a male child is already grown

13. Aerianne

I can see your point.

14. Mixed-Peppers

Mixed-Peppers Member

Note to self. Must try and find the video of him doing this maybe on youtube. Could be interesting.

Its great to also finally see wot he looks like, lately ive been hearing zuma this, zuma that on the news. I really need to get myself back into finding out whats going on in the world. Need to get out of my self-indulgent shell.

Im African heritage too (though guess we prob are all, if those historians, that say so are right) and I think its nice to change with time. Though cultural, historic and heritage things always make me smile (when its not hurting anyone). Sometimes historical practices can have their value in modern times too. N I guess it would be boring if everyone got accustomed to the same way.

I think that picture is beautiful and laughable tho, the way it represents past and present at the same time.

Hmm was trying not to be to controversial here. Sincerely sorry if anyone is offended. :afro: Or if I went off topic, I sometimes do that :mickey::juggle: