Sorry guys I cant do it

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by DarkLunacy, May 18, 2004.

1. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

I think what Doc is trying to say is that in nature animals reproduce through rape. It's true. Sex is never a cosentual thing. The male has to find some way to get his seed into the female and after so many advances and rejections he just takes her by force. He rapes her.Should our human males be allowed to rape females because, in nature, this is natural? This is analagous to the ' eating meat is natural' theory. Just because it may be natural for humans to consume meat doesn't mean we necessarily should or need to.

2. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

Oooooh good point:cool:

3. Gem

Gem Member

*Stands up and claps* Well said. Being vegetarian is not for everyone! I myself have considered becoming a vegetarian, but I have an iron deficiency and am underweight because I have a fast metabolism. Doctors have advised me against it, and I also don't want to look like a lot of vegetarians and vegans I know who are skin and bones (like I said, I'm skinny enough as it is).

I don't like the way mass breeding of animals and slaughterhouses work because they are cruel, but yes I do think it is natural to eat animals... humans have always been doing it! Would you call a tiger cruel for tearing a zebra limb from limb? No, so why were humans in hunter-gatherer times evil for spearing buffalo? You may call me evil and cruel for eating the meat I get from the butcher, but it's not my fault it got to me the way it is. I eat free range eggs and I support the RSPCA in banning battery hen farming and cruel slaughterhouse practices.

I am of the personal opinion that people should cut down meat consumption (we don't need to eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner), but eating meat in moderation IS healthy, and you can't say it's not. Too much bacon and lamb chops will give you cancer and heart disease, but lean beef has more vitamins and minerals than spinach.

Also, if you eat a lot of wheat, then you are still contributing to the cutting down of trees for land as well as the killing of small animals by harvesting machines. I'm not criticising you for that, because it's unavoidable. I'm just saying think about that before being hypocritical.

I admire people who are vegetarians, but I don't admire stuck-up, hypocritical nazi assholes who can't accept that other people choose to eat meat. Like the people at PETA. Like I said, I would probably be a vegetarian if it were in the best interests of my health, but I must also admit that I do enjoy eating meat. AND, I occasionally eat at, and support, that evil multi-national corporation McDonalds! Shock horror! Well I've got news for you... whenever you buy ANYTHING you're most likely supporting cheap slave labour and lining some fat rich guys pockets.

4. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Members

Ok, i dont care who hates me, but..i'm a meat eater so deal!

5. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Thanks Shutterfly. Yes, that's exactly right. The reason I bring this up is because it's the best example of a 'natural' practice that everyone would consider to be morally unacceptable. Rape goes on in the wild all the time. So by using this example, it's possible to illustrate why calling something 'natural' is not a sufficient response to the moral argument. Just because something is 'natural', it doesn't make it right.

6. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

"Natural" and "moral/ethical" aside, a diet is best when BALANCED.

I chose not to eat meat or eggs, and I'm lactose intolerant so milk is very rare for me.
    I focus on what I do eat: leaves, nuts, stems, roots, berries and, for the nonce, saps (maple, sugar).
    I make sure that in a week, I consume some protien, some calcium source (ususally sesame and green leafy veggies), a wide array of whatever is in season or at least reasonable at the market.
    What I find is when my neighbors heat or cook with wood it hit some pre-Industrial trigger.
    WOOD SMOKE makes me hungry.
    now that is conditioning!
    I started grilling veggies and using smoke flavor (i know, I know.. but it works for me) and veg worstershire sauce (no hairy fish).
    Dark Lunacy, you can stay omni and eat a balanced diet with plenty of fiber, ortry again, and we'll be here to help. Either way... so what? dieet is one thing and life style is another (see the vegetarians in new leather or using animal tested vanity products. These substitutions are EASY)
    Either way, go in peace, and keep writing.

7. Oklahoma

Oklahoma Member

In addition to flat molars, we have canine teeth, which are meant for ripping and shredding meat. We can eat raw meat, and people do, but it's not the smartest thing to do in this day and age, because of the way we process meat. Some apes are designed very much like humans, and eat both meat and plants. Humans were designed to eat omnivorous diets. Being vegetarian can be just as healthy if it is done right, but that doesn't mean people aren't supposed to eat meat.

8. TheDoorsOfPerception

TheDoorsOfPerception Member

I was doing the vegitarian thing until I smelled the food I had been missing... I'm trying to go back to being a vegetarian.. but its awfully hard!

I must admit though, when I was eating veggies.... I felt better and had more energy.

9. magicmonkey

magicmonkey Member

I was just wondering if all of the objections here are directed towards 'factory farming' or if they extended towards organic farming methods as well? I myself eat meat but I would refuse to eat factory farmed meat for 2 reasons, 1: it's a disgrace that we would even think of treating anything living like that and 2: it doesn't taste anywhere near as nice. I haven't eaten anything other than organic free range meat for years now and have even killed my own dinner a couple of times (an experience I feel any meat eater should have so that they understand the seriousness of taking a life from the world). I would like to know what moral problems people would have with doing this rather than personal taste/diet issues...

10. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I think you've taken a step in the right direction, but personally, I can't condone killing for pleasure - which is essentially what any form of meat-eating is. We don't require meat in our diet in order to survive, and so by definition we're just killing to satisfy the physical sensation of taste - killing for pleasure.