Sorry guys I cant do it

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by DarkLunacy, May 18, 2004.

1. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I gave it an honest thought about going vegitarian, I really did. But when I had a whiff of that home made burger nearing completion it all drained away. I mean as humans we're omnivors. Don't you think it might be part of our nature to eat meat? Does not the wolf feed on the smaller animal? Is it really so bad? Talk to me here, I wanna see it from your eyes

2. alissamelon

alissamelon Member

Exstasy helped me find God on Friday the 13, Febuary 2004

oh boy, i hope youre not serious. as for the meat thing, i understand what youre saying and well...i dont really know the answer.

3. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

As a matter of fact I am serious. I don't mock your lifestyle do I? Geez. The close-mindedness of some

4. ericf

ericf Member

I didn't think that comment was mocking you. It was just him wondering if you were being serious. The smell of a burger cooking doesn't create cravings in a lot of people who have become vegetarians. Personally, I am wondering just how far this thought went? Did you actually stop eating meat for a couple of months? Did you try it all at once (probably the most frustrating way... cut it slowly if you have problems)? Or what?

Basically, what happened to make you want to go veggie? How did you go about it? What went wrong?

5. shutterfly

shutterfly Member

Well... I'm vegan and I am so for ethical reasons. I have a huge affinity for aniamls and I believe they have the right to live free and unbound just as much as humans do. I know what goes on on factory farms and I am completely against it. The cruelty and inhumanity and horrible abuses is too much for me to be a part of. So I choose a cruelty free diet of vegetation. Yes we have the nature to be omnivores, however we can also live just fine and healthy without it. We are not like strictly carnivorous animals that absolutely need meat to survive. We don't need it to live. People suffer and often die everyday from meat related problems, i.e. obesity, clogged arteries, congestive heart failure, colon cancer just to name a few. Of course people don't see it as suffering until they actually have to deal with the consequences of their meat eating ways. Some vegetarians are so strictly for health reasons. A vegetarian diet, when done right, is much healthier than an omni diet. Reasons for becoming vegetarian are very personal. I think it's much easier to become one for ethical reasons because meat and dairy are blatant reminders of what an ethical veg is against. So it's easy to avoid them. I didn't just stop liking the taste of meat and dairy when I quit eating it. But I did become repulsed by it all because I know what it is and where it comes from and what it had to endure to get to my plate. If you're interested for ethical reasons than have no fear.. you'll come around naturely eventually. I wholeheartedly hope you will give it another chance. Once you get the hang of it it's absolutely wonderful. I hope I've been of help.

6. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Craving pussy is 'natural' too. Doesn't give you the right to violate someone else's rights and rape them though, does it?

Nature doesn't have ethics. The whole point is that humans have evolved an ability to empathise with the suffering of others. We've evolved an ability to show compassion. Arguing that meat-eating is 'natural' is no argument at all, because it completely ignores the moral dimension.

I sympathise with your difficulty in kicking the habit, but just because you can't find the strength to do it, don't let that blind you to the fact that you know you really should.

7. alissamelon

alissamelon Member

im sorry i didnt mean to sound like i was mocking you its just....kinda funny. i mean, dont you know that while youre on drugs most of the things you see/hear etc arent real? and i knew a guy who had the same experience only it was mushrooms. he went home and watched all those praise the lord channels on tv and freaked out and threw away all his cds, posters, etc.

8. Sunburst

Sunburst Fairy

1) Humans have flat teeth, animals in the wild with flat teeth use them for grinding plants, not ripping meat.

2) We have no claws, as wolves, cougars, and carnivores do.

3) Did you notce that we have to cook meat b4 eating or else we get sick and/or die? Or that we have to cut it rather than just rip it? If we were designed to do it, we could run after a deer, take it down, and shred it, and eat it, all safely.

5) Animals were not meant to be crammed into tiny dark sheds, fed hormones, then loaded onto a conveyor belt b4 having their heads torn off and their bodies grinded onto a plate.

Sorry if any of that sounded mean, it wan't meant to:)

9. InTheFlesh

InTheFlesh Member

Technically as part of the food chain, it is only natural for us to eat meat. I just find it disgusting now. We don't need to be eating living things.

10. peacegal

peacegal Member

Well, a lot of the foods we find desirable have more to do with cultural socialization than true natural forces. If you grew up in a different culture, you may find roasted termites, dogmeat, or seaweed just as desirable. If you were a Hindu living in India, chances are you'd find that burger disgusting and an offense against God.
    So I don't think the fact you find burgers appealing is evidence of some mandate for humans to eat meat.
    Secondly, we can't truly argue that the methods in which we raise and obtain meat today are nature's way. Today's farm animals are raised on huge factory farms which deny nearly all natural behavior. Check out www.factoryfarming.com . No one could claim that these farming methods even approach those of our ancestors.
    Also, it is imporatant to keep in mind how many vegetarian products are now sold at any well-stocked grocery store. Several soy veggie burgers, such as Boca burgers and Gardenburger flame-grilled style, are similar to meat burgers. Chances are, you can grow to see a Boca burger on the grill as being just as appealing.

11. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

I guess I know what your saying. I don't mean God in the traditional sense either. PM me if you wanna hear more about it. Back to the point though. We have flat teeth but we do have sharp teeth as well. The sharp teeth are capable of ripping into a lot of things, meat definatlly not being a challenge. Also we are equiped with rather handy claws that we've learned to trim to keep things neat and tidy. I can understand the inhumane treatment argument but saying that nature isn't an argument eludes me. We've been a hunter/gatherer race from the dawn of time. I'm not saying that its right to eat meat but I guess I'm saying, is it really wrong? I do agree that locking animals up and raising them to be slaughtered is bad, terrible and horrid but are there not farmers who treat their cattle well and the like. The opposition of dairy also seems a little strange... But I did cut back on my meat intake. I think that it can be healthy if you dont stick the funnel in your mouth and fill away. I think you guys get as much of a bad rap as you tend to give some of us. Not to be rude of course, I'm trying to keep this civil.... But it is nice to check another outlook.

12. joe

joe Banned

dark, i can only give you one bit of advice...dont even start.
    it will go on forever and no answers will be given other than "Its Bad"

My answer: Meat isnt wrong, it isnt murder. call me crazy but i just dont see the difference between me and another kind of animal that is a predator.

also may i add - dont beleive everything PETA says, most of what they say is all propaganda

13. peacegal

peacegal Member

I can't speak for anyone else, but the link I suggested is from Farm Sanctuary, which is a rescue organization which routinely accepts animals from these conditions.
    As for PETA, I would daresay their propaganda and self-promotion is no more pervasive than that put out by the Cattlemen's Beef Association or Pork Board. Everyone is out to promote themselves.
    Information on factory farms can be found not just through animal protection sites, but also in agriculture journals and mainstream news outlets. Here's just one recent mainstream magazine article on the subject: http://www.styleweekly.com/article.asp?idarticle=8214 .
    Even if someone says they oppose the cruel treatment of farm animals, if they purchase commercial meat they are directly supporting the conditions they say they oppose. In the consumer market, you vote with your dollars. Fast-food burgers and frozen Tyson dinners say, I support what you are doing to animals. It is true that free-range meat products are availible. However, organic and free range meat represents only about 1% of the total meat market. Finding free range meat in mainstream restaurants and grocery freezers can actually be harder than finding vegetarian foods.
    The fact is, it is hard to compare ordering a bucket of KFC to the survival skills of the caveman. Something to think about.

14. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

i personaly think its pritty natural 2 eat meat, but mayb the thing wich may not b natural is how ppl kill the animals 2 eat the meat

15. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

'Natural' doesn't mean dick. It's 'natural' to run around naked fucking any woman you can hold down for long enough. Are you advocating that we do that?

16. kazinspace

kazinspace Member

wel...i gues every1 2 there own

17. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

Try Quorn Burgers! I have them all the time, and find no dificulties in being a vegetarian

18. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

19. DarkLunacy

DarkLunacy Senior Member

Do you have some secret rape fetish? You keep bringing it up. And rape isn't natural. We don't get impulses to grab and nail everything in sight... Also what makes this sex drive apply only to the male persuasion.

20. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

You aren't a bad person if you don't want to be a vegetarian... What works for one person doesn't work for everyone else in the world... It baffles me that all these super geniuses in the Vegetarian forum can't grasp that and they continue to attack people with different opinions. I'm a vegetarian. I'm not offended. That's just your choice. Everybody chill out and get over yourselves.