Sophie's World - Jostein Gaarder

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by CrucifiedDreams, Apr 9, 2007.

1. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Philosophy anyone? :D

I'm ploughing through this book currently, it's one of my favourites. It's one of those books I want to never end.

Anyone else read it? If you're into Philosophy I highly recommend it. It's a bit "wordy" in places which can be hard to get through for some, but it's a cool way to learn a lot about something without reading a text book. It was recommended to me by my philosophy teacher last semester. It's a page turner for sure, very engaging, and makes you think, and keeps you on your toes, full of twists. Here's a summary for those that havn't...

2. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I read it a while back. It's a great introduction to philosophy and the great philosophers - at times I still refer to it when refreshing my memory on them! It gives a good account of Marx too, and you can tell where the author's sympathies lie. The first half of the book reads more like a philosophy textbook, however, and at times it seems hard to see it as a novel with an original or engaging plot. But the book comes into its own in the second half and I found that I was turning the pages at a rate of knots. But I won't spoil it for you....

3. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

I really had no problem getting through the first half, I guess it just depends how into it you are. People keep telling me the end is a huuuuge twist. Can't wait to see. :D

4. Peace-Phoenix

I didn't have a problem getting through the first half, the philisophical discussions were interesting, it's just they overpowered a fairly non-existant plot. And yes, there's quite a twist....

5. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

That book sounds really intriguing as well. I absolutely love philosophy but don't think I've ever read a philosophical book to it's end yet. Sort of sad really.

I never actually thought of a novel being a book about philosophy I must say. Except for maybe "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maitenance."

Hmm. somehow I think I'm going to end up with a huge lists of books to read now. :)

6. Peace-Phoenix

Another great theology/philosophy-based novel to read is Jill Paton Walsh's 'Knowledge of Angels'. It's a brilliant book, and the plot is much stronger and more striking than 'Sophie's World'. The philosophy has really very dangerous consequences for the character. I was lucky enough to be able to interview her for 'Varsity' last year, and we had a great discussion on the themes of her novel....

7. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

Hmmm ... I'm going to have to start a list now of books/authors to check out. It already seems to be quite lengthy and this forum only just started. :)

8. mellowthyme

mellowthyme Member

Just found this thread. It's one of the best introductions to the world of philosophy, and can be argued how subjective philosophy can be. I thought the plot was shit; yeah, I only use clever words. But the book albiet a piece of fiction can be used as good reference.

Knowledge of Angels? Thanks, never heard of it before.