Sometimes there *are* laws

Discussion in 'Barefoot' started by Lapsidariant, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Lapsidariant

Lapsidariant Guest

It's pretty common here to insist that there are no laws, health codes, or regulations in the US that prohibit bare feet in commercial establishments, including places where food is sold. and to recommend that others insist on this if hassled.

Sadly, that's not always right. Here's one example: http://ci.lexington.ma.us/health/Article I - Bare Feet .pdf

I'll be there are other examples as well.

2. Barefoot Matthew

Barefoot Matthew Member

Oops. I apparently missed the wording on this. That's really sad. ;-(

3. essenceofweez

essenceofweez Member

What an illogical law! Someone in Lexington should start a petition to get rid of this stupidity.

4. Barefoot Guy

Barefoot Guy Member

These two young women decided to flaunt the law and were promptly arrested:devil:
    View attachment 46365

5. broony

broony Banned

Laws are to keep the weak in line and profit the corrupt. Fuck all laws!

6. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

tell me again why I as a small business owner shouldnt be allowed to require footwear in my store...and after that my next post is why should your rights be more important than mine seeing as though i am the one paying for my business to be there in the first place.... go

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

I would have to crescent kick one them cops in the face, barefoot.. I dont need hands to hurt a pig..

8. essenceofweez

essenceofweez Member

You should be able to decide dress code as a private business owner. The government, in this case, is disrespecting property rights by not allowing businesses to adopt a barefoot-friendly dress code if they wish to have one.

I fully respect property rights and anti-barefoot policies as legitimate, but not logical. I hope for more advances in informing the public that going barefoot is not unsanitary, particularly dangerous, or disrespectful.

9. ganesha1967

ganesha1967 barefoot bellybearer

Thanks for pointing out one no-go area for barefooters in the US... since that town ordinance was made effective in 1975, I guess that it is one of those remnants of the times when business owners wanted to ban hippies from their establishment - and in this case, the town government agreed with them.
    To quote a female native barefooter: "This is sad... very sad only!"

Wiggling bare toes,

~*Ganesha*~

10. jagerhans

jagerhans Far out, man. Lifetime Supporter

"An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so."

[​IMG]

11. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

Woohoo! Amen! I hope other business owners follow suit with this thinking. It may seem convenient for the law to back up your policies in some cases, but just wait until the government implements a policy that hurts your bottom line. Like how smoking laws have affected bars, customers see they can't light up and go right back home for drinks.

And I just want to say. The bottom of my shoes are much more disgusting than my nice clean feet. My feet only have dirt on them, because I watch where I step. My shoes, on the other hand... I'll plow through anything with shoes on.

Haha. Also, in countries that experience a lot of snow, it is not uncommon for customers to be ENCOURAGED to take off their shoes upon entering an establishment.

Just some rambling. Sorry about that.

12. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Really? Just what countries would this be?

I know that some people up here wear outer boots and do indeed take them off when they enter into some places... but I've been across Canada a couple of times and not once ever been ENCOURAGED to take off my shoes on entering ANY business...

13. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

I wasn't talking about Canada at all.

Taiwan, specifically. The link below is to a book that has a "do not leave home without" section - which suggests neat socks since you will be encouraged to remove shoes upon entering tea houses, private residences, and public buildings. This is not because of snow, but because of rainy weather.

http://books.google.com/books?id=IaMexCraPrYC&pg=PA9&lpg=PA9&dq=shoes+off+taiwan+travel+public&source=bl&ots=gJYClIIxlC&sig=xB5DdGjYZA7GiSgTgYU65PUPnFc&hl=en&ei=-tc0TYSHNYGglAfan4WMCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=shoes%20off%20taiwan%20travel%20public&f=false

Edit: I've also heard about not being able to wear shoes in the presence of a statue of the Buddha. Does anybody know more about this?

14. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

LOL, yeah, taiwan.... there's a country that gets a lot of snow...

It is one thing to be passionate about something such as being barefoot, it is another to spew forth bullshit to support it.

The book and the idea of the little socks to wear... silly me... I thought bare foot, meant feet that are bare....

If you have no issues with being told to wear little socks in certain places, why would you have a problem being told you have to wear shoes?

Whats the difference?

15. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

hmmm....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hehuanshan

16. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

Dude, calm down buddy. Go back and read my post, where I state that "This is not because of snow, but because of rainy weather." Sorry for not providing you a particularly snowy destination - I thought this was about places that encourage shoe-less entry into public spaces.

I even mentioned the socks. I never said anything about BARE feet.

"It is one thing to be passionate about something such as being barefoot, it is another to spew forth bullshit to support it."

To be perfectly honest, you put words in my mouth and called them bullshit. I don't think I mentioned the word "bare" in a single post I made.

Please point out where I am passionate about anything barefoot. I support BUSINESS OWNER FREEDOM. That is, they can regulate it if they want, but I do not think that it's anything that needs a law. Additionally, just because I point out one interesting fact about one foreign example does not mean that I think it's how everything should be. It was just for fun buddy - to show how everything comes down to culture eventually.

Hell, I'm wearing shoes right now - in my own home of all places.

17. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

There is nothing that is not calm about my response.

This whole forum is about barefeet... this thread specifically is about laws regarding barefeet...

If your post had nothing to do with barefeet, why did you post here?

Your first post, which I quoted as being the part I was replying to, said;

I asked you which countries, your reply was;

That was obviously wrong... so my question still stands...

Which country (or countries) were you referring to?

18. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

i'm going to open a bare-footers shoe shop.

19. InvisibleLantern

InvisibleLantern Member

Oh, sorry. I didn't realize the snowy part above. Maybe I should have read back through my own posts, huh?

You can have that one - I don't know why I said "in countries that experience a lot of snow". I thought YOU had mentioned snow first, with the Canada thing. My bad! Accept my apology?

I would be happy to tell you a few more places that you can expect to take off your shoes for plenty of other reasons, though.

Oh, and I posted because this particular thread is about the law, which doesn't discriminate between socks and barefoot. No shoes means no shoes when it comes to commercial establishments where I live - you're getting kicked out socks or not.

20. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter