Something New (2006)

Discussion in 'Romance Movies' started by Shale, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Shale

Shale ~

Something New (2006)
    DVD Review by Shale
    August 29, 2014

Somehow, I missed seeing this movie in theater. It came out in February 2006, a romantic drama for Valentine's day and I did not go see it. In fact, checking my movie reviews for 2006, which I was three months into writing on a regular basis, I saw no movies in Feb '06. IDK why but that month was skipped.

DVD Cover
    [​IMG]

Anyhow, I got the DVD some years ago and enjoyed the movie, watching it again last night. Today, I went online to see what other reviewers thot of it and found Roger Ebert at the time gave it a 3.5 stars out of 4 thumbs up.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/something-new-2006

IDK his history with interracial relations but I found some of the anti-white rhetoric coming from the black characters a little over the top - perhaps for greater dramatic effect. Also, all these black characters are established, hi-income professionals, something not common in my sphere of friends so it may be something IDK about.

Here's the story. Kenya McQueen (Sanaa Lathan) is a work obsessed LA accountant well respected by her managers and in line to become a partner with the firm. Very little of her time is wasted on a social life and she is resigned to never hook up with the right man as her GF's call it an IBM (Ideal Black Man). Off the IBM radar entirely are any white men. She is one of those ppl who never think beyond the color of the package.

A co-worker finally convinces her to go on a blind date - and surprise - Brian Kelly (Simon Baker) is white. She dumps him and makes a hasty retreat but not before it is apparent why and he calls her on it. However, it ain't over yet. Seems Brian is a very good landscape architect and Kenya needs some landscaping at her newly bought home. She reluctantly hires him (tho we suspect a hidden interest beyond the work relationship).

Brian Landscaping
    [​IMG]

Brian (like all of us white devils) is very charming and eventually, with a convenient hike in the wilderness which Kenya reluctantly agrees to go on, they make that first, daring, awkward, exciting kiss (Been There, Enjoyed That).

So, it looks like she is going to let this white guy into her life and not only is he out in her yard turning it into a landscape masterpiece, he is also in her house, convincing her to get rid of all the beige and add a little color.

Brian & Kenya Mixing Colors
    [​IMG]

He's even in bed with her, painting her toenails red, a very sensual scene. (White boys do the strangest things.) But, this is a formulaic romantic drama, so some discord is needed and that happens with a very discordant argument in a store as Kenya and Brian are shopping together after both had a ruf day.

They split up and all her family and friends are relieved that she is coming back into the black fold. She even finds an IBM, Mark Harper (Blair Underwood) a wealthy professional who says and does all the expected right things.

Kenya & Mark on Date
    [​IMG]

Well, should I spoil it for you as to how the story ends? I did say it was a *FORMULAIC ROMANTIC DRAMA, so no need.

I obviously like this movie because it has personal relevance to me and my life history. Brenda and I were on the same socio/economic strata, so there was no family or friend disapproval. In fact, we met at a large institution where we both worked - she as a child care worker and me as the groundskeeper and there was no friction becoming part of her family, which was in the New Orleans area at the time. I did encounter some racial prejudice from my mother, which later resolved but didn't encounter any from Brenda's family or our mutual friends at work.

It is nice to see the few movies now where ppl of different races can connect and it is not even portrayed in the script as unique such as Hancock (2008) and Valentine's Day (2010) to name a couple.

(*The Formula: Disparate ppl meet, have initial discord but later discover they have common interest, then have a falling out but get back together - all within the 2 hour runtime.)

2. everdeenkatniss257

everdeenkatniss257 Members

Great movie. I saw this movie in cinema first time.