Something interesting you learned recently

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, May 12, 2019.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Some valuable advice I was given when in grade school that I find continually true and relevant:

"If you want to argue with someone, first define your terms"

I guess I didn't learn that today, but it's still interesting and pertinent to this thread and just about every other discussion you have.

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

“Artificial intelligence can accurately guess whether people are gay or straight based on photos of their faces, according to new research that suggests machines can have significantly better “gaydar” than humans.

The study from Stanford University – which found that a computer algorithm could correctly distinguish between gay and straight men 81% of the time, and 74% for women – has raised questions about the biological origins of sexual orientation, the ethics of facial-detection technology, and the potential for this kind of software to violate people’s privacy or be abused for anti-LGBT purposes.”

3. Vladimir Illich

Vladimir Illich Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

A little principle I abide by:

Never walk if you can ride,
    Never stand if you can sit
    Never sit if you can lay down
    And Never work if you don't have to, let some other bugger do it !!!

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Terms? You mean the pinnacle word in the sentence of the argument you're trying to make? Or if its gonna be a verbal or physical argument? (probably the first :p)

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It surprises me they don't already have it but with this kind of technology as well as deep fake AI technology, it seems inevitable that libel laws are going to have to be more inclusive for some of these web technologies.

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I think the pinnacle word in a verbal argument. Like if you are going to debate whether gun control is good or bad, you should both identify what you mean by “gun control” first. Or even if you are arguing with a spouse about, say, lack of communication. What do you mean by “communication.” A lot of arguments result from the fact that you are both arguing about different things.

7. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Then at the end of your life , that is if you're still cognizant, you will be able to say,
    " I did very little, accomplished nothing contributed even less, and my tremendous weight gain is a literal monument to all I've done."

8. Asmodean

I agree, but especially in online (or perhaps any text based) discussions. The thing is in online and english arguments I often have the feeling I need to explain how i ment a word even more (which I often do :p) but then it gets too lengthy or I'm being (seen as putting it :D) unneccesary difficult.
    But yes, the frustration/annoyance is also often that others refuse to define their terms... So I fully agree myself with the use of doing it :) But used to conclude it must be my peculiar convo style, and not everyone does it like that. Totally with you here though! It helps a lot... but if multiple terms need to be defined others seem to dislike it.

9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Identifying buzzwords like "gun control" can be useful but language is an abstraction, so attempting to define every other word is inherently going to cripple communication.

10. Asmodean

I agree. I often wanna be so conclusive or precise with the formulation of an argument it gets an over nuanced mess that in the end only makes sense to me :p I do try to avoid that though as im aware of it.

11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

when using a knife, they're still cutting it. i suppose they probably could break it, at least once, but does anyone actually do that?

12. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

TrudginAcrossTheTundra Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Gun control: the ability to reliably place the projectile at the desired point.

Yes: church communion and large families who make their own bread.

Personally, I'm not buying it. I'm not saying it can't be so, but my intuition says otherwise.

I know a lady I'd wager on against the machine.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

communion bread is pretty much inedible, so i that goes back to the need for better bread.

when i've had homemade bread, i still cut it.

14. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Back to the need for definition of terms.

Communion bread = any bread you pick and bless.

Our congregation was into good bread, mostly made by experienced wives and occasionally purchased at quality bakeries. Heads of households would come forward and tear off a chunk for their families, then break it up together. We literally broke bread together, as written. Another cool thing is we always had real wine in glasses. Kids sipped it too.

15. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

we had real wine as far as i know, but the bread was those gross little round things:

[​IMG]

16. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Wafers. Those are nasty. Seemed like cardboard. I have seen those only in Catholic churches and have partaken only in foreign countries.

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I know I've talked about this guy before but I don't really follow him too closely, this came up in my recommended videos and basically sums up the current zeitgeist.

Jordan Peterson was called "a Jewish shill and a Nazi the same day." :smile:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  18. deleted

deleted Visitor

dead bread..
    its what we called it.. cause the body of christ and it taste like dead bread..

i think they would have a way better audience they used cookie crisp .. not sure how this pairs with wine tho..
    upload_2019-8-16_22-59-41.png

19. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Hahahaha surprised they haven't tried that!

20. TrudginAcrossTheTundra

Peterson is sharp, and he's not afraid to call it as he sees it.