Something I notice about mainstream "modern rock"

Discussion in 'Music' started by Pressed_Rat, May 24, 2004.

1. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

clearly it will be some modern bands that are dreamin that they record in High Ashbury in the spring of 1967...

2. KasabianRulesMan!

KasabianRulesMan! Member

Clearly nobody will record a good old dirt record

as The Seeds or The Electric Prunes... for sure rock n roll is no more when it's clean...

The Modern Producer have this mania to clean their hands before mixin' a 21st century record...strangely disgusting

3. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

This is a great thread…. and the answer is obvious if you know anything about the music industry. Yes, there is a certain “polish” to music nowadays and if you’re signed to a major label, the label will insist you have it unless, somehow, the band got the better deal when signing. That almost never happens, as most musicians are unaware how the majors play the game.

They have such a huge impact on the market place… think about it… even recording studios cater to them, so the engineers have a set method. As a band coming into a studio to get a recording, you have to know exactly what you want the end result to be and tell the engineer the elements that are going to provide it, otherwise the engineer’s going to do it his way, which is the industry standard.

4. fulmah

fulmah Chaser of Muses

From what I've seen, it's the exact opposite. The big studio's are the ones that process everything through your twenty thousand dollar reverb units, the analogue desk, and the extremely expensive valve compressors. What's being processed, though, is a digitally filtered sound that's so popular today.

Most of the "unknown" bands that I've checked out are using home studios, because the software bundles are so readily available and you can get a pretty good sound from a $20 mic from radio shack if you know what you're doing. If you don't, well, then you're correct, because if you're using an effect to provide warmth instead of using a virtual tube compressor, your just adding noise over a processed sound, instead of processing sound with warmth, if you follow me ;)

5. adelic86

adelic86 ~Music!~

(haven't read much of the thread)
    its mainly really due to the recording equipment being thrown into digital rather than anologue i think, i mean back in the days of analogue recordings alot of bands were recording 'Live', nowadays they 'copy and paste' even the drums are sometimes done like this and have to be recorded with a metronome at most times.
    the thing is tho digital came about to try and create the perfect sound, but however as its digital it works out like pixels of sound, if ya know what i mean by that and they probably never get the true 'warmth' of anaologue, i think alot of the digital remasters can also sound to clear, rather than the originals