Someone clue me in about the necklaces!

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by DejaVoo, May 15, 2004.

1. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Okay, when you make a hemp necklace ( the measurement of mine is 13 inches) how inches long do you make each 4(right?) of each string? it's so confusing, i read some hemp directions but i get so confused.:confused:
    because i don't really know exaclty HOW to start and how long each string is suposed to be..ok thank you!

2. stormyy

stormyy Member

When I make necklaces, I generally make the knot strings about 5 times longer than the middle string. Its really a matter of trial and error....eventually you will know by instinct how long all your stuff should be.

3. DiffKettleOfFish

DiffKettleOfFish Kickin' it

What I do is I take the hemp and wrap it around whatever body part I'll be wearing it (neck, ankle, etc). Then I add about 3 or so inches to that measuremnt, then I double it and cut it.

Then I take some more hemp and measure the length of the string I just cut (still folded in half) and make it about 5x as long. Then I cut it.

Then I take both pieces of string, fold them exactly in half, and put the loops together and knot it. Voila!

Did that make sense?

4. vintage soul

vintage soul Member

i usually make mine about 4 times the length of the middle string, but the longer the middle strings the longer the outter strings should be

5. Melody

Melody Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Usually, i do 3x the middle strings for the kind of necklace that's flat. If I use half knots so that it twists, I do 4X.

6. serra

serra tentacle girl

ok. this is what i do for a necklace. i make mine usually "choker" style, but you can make larger ones this way to. also assuming that you are using the standard "square knot" pattern!

this is for the middle string(s.) you can use as many strings as you want for the middle, i usually use one or two. the more you use, the thicker your necklace will be. also keep in mind if you want any beads they have to go on these strings as well so make sure they will fit.

first take your hemp and wrap it around your neck, and see about how long you want the necklace to be when it's done. then add maybe three or four inches to that, for knot tying and having something to work with at the end.
    for the outside strings, i usually use two strings on each side. i just find the knots end up looking better this way, don't ask me why. anyways. i make each one an arm's length. i have stubby arms, but it's about two feet, i think.

ok i tried to make a diagram but it would not work. good! luck! and i hope that helped. =)

7. DejaVoo

DejaVoo stardust

Hey everyone thanks - i acttualy get it now! I'm so excited! One question though..how they heck do you put those clasps or whatever on the ends when you're done with the necklace, so u can hook the necklace together to wear it?!

8. serra

serra tentacle girl

what i do is;

on the end where you start the necklace make a loop. then, at the end of the necklace when you are done, attatch a bead. then to do the necklace up, just put the loop around the bead. it holds well and you don't have to spend $$ on the clasp thingies. sometimes i will braid leftover string and then put the bead at the end, and the loop the braid throught the loop- this way the wearer can choose the size of their necklace as well.

9. colourfullife

colourfullife Guest

Please keep in mind girls....hemp is very strong...I always think when making my very simple necklaces out of hemp or strong leather strings...to attach it to something breakable like a few chain/loops...
    Reason is...we do live in dangerous times and don't want a fun, pretty choker to turn into a real death trap choker...

10. Faerie

Faerie Peachy

For me it depends on the type of knot im plan on doing.. the basic knot i use about 4 to 5 times the finished length...

I stay away from claps... They break to easilly... I make a loop at one ned and attach a bead at the other.. Simple.. harder to break than a clasp..