Some thoughts on Existence, God and Religion

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by OlderWaterBrother, Dec 23, 2017.

1. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

What did you have in mind?

I don’t think that is what I was trying to say. It just seemed that you were being somewhat dismissive with your mention of infinite regressions and all I was saying is although it is an interesting philosophic idea, unless you can somehow get to the next level, it’s not very helpful in understanding the level we are on.

Okay but matter may very well be unreal.

You may have noticed I wasn’t real fond of the video, it may have been okay for someone new to Physics but if you have been exposed to how “strange” Physics can get, the subject seemed a bit childish.

I don’t think Newton is passé but then Newton wasn’t dealing with subatomic theory and his theories seem to work just fine in the macroworld. Whereas shell theory does have “some” benefit in helping teach a very basic understanding of the atomic world the concept is rudimentary and almost needs to be unlearned to understand what physics now believes is happening in the subatomic world,

Just because something is easier to understand doesn’t mean you should use it if it doesn’t illustrate the point very well.

2. OlderWaterBrother

Yes, I agree, "Neural net" does sound a bit material but what we are talking about may just be material, just not in the sense we normally use the word.

As for Hinduism, I used the word Maya in the OP.

Also I would like to stay away from commenting on Christianity, seeing as I have some very strong beliefs about it and I could be easily lead into a discussion about it rather than the OP.

3. OlderWaterBrother

Well when you said this:
    you seemed pretty positive that certain possibilities did not exist, thus eliminating them.
    But since you would be the one who created all things, you would know, at least subconsciously, that it was there.
    And your point is?

4. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Mad tricksters will masterfully play with the unknowable . They know we can be terribly anxious of the uncertainty
    when compelled to decide the difference twixt unknown and unknowable . Philosophy is the best defense when
    such wizards are up to no good .

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I was wondering why you think the universe is like a neural net? Can you elaborate?

Unreal is a term I have problems with.

Shell theory is one way of describing energy states, that's all I'm saying.

6. OlderWaterBrother

I'm just trying to understand the nature of our existence. I have a number of concepts stirring around in my mind that I think about from time to time, a few of which I mentioned in the OP.

Like in Avatar, the planet was a kind of “neural net” of living things that could be connected to.
    The Matrix was a “simulation” that could be connected to, although it wasn’t real, perhaps our reality is like that simulation and we can connect to it.
    Maya is an illusion that “God” has made and we are kind of like hand puppets and perhaps we can follow the hand down and connect with the illusionist and we may find that there is no illusionist as such but that we all together are the illusionist.

As for the idea of “neural net”, it seems to make people think of wires and computers but I was thinking more wireless perhaps a kind of “ESP” system that could allow us to connect our thoughts.
    I’m not sure I used the term but in any case, I’m wondering about the “real” world we live in and not an unreal one.
    I kind of understood that and even after all these years, I think they still teach it in High School or maybe Elementary School, it’s been quite a while. It’s an easier concept to grasp than areas of probability and it’s not really “wrong” so much as it doesn’t appear to be what’s really going on. And when I see it I think more of nostalgia than scientific reality.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Thanks for the response.
    I have been pondering the nature of reality for about 45 years now. I've investigated Christianity, Sufism, Hinduism, Vedanta, Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, and Zen Buddhism, and a little Kabbalah. Some to more degrees than others.
    And not to mention LSD.

Anyway, the quest for knowledge is always a good thing in my opinion.
    I'd be very interested in hearing more about the concepts stirring in your mind.
    I'll not comment on my thoughts at the moment as I don't want to infringe on your thread.

8. themnax

themnax Senior Member

my thought is kind of simple. that while anything can or might exist, nothing owes anything to what anyone tells you to pretend.
    might be a billion gods, but just because someone said something about their idea of one, some seemingly long time ago,
    longer ago then most of us live, really doesn't mean they had the slightest idea what they were talking about.

you can always say "what if?", but what if a lot of things?

9. OlderWaterBrother

Not really a reply to anyone's comment, just want to add some thoughts.

It just seemed like when thinking about "religion", different "leaders" had given, if not contradictory ideas, at least differing thoughts.

Maybe they had seen something beyond words and in order to pass along what they seen they were forced to use words that were at best inadequate.
    Flammarion_Woodcut_1888_Color_2.jpg

Running Horse likes this.
  10. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Already neurologists can reproduce fuzzy images of what you see inside your head, and practically read a newspaper for you. They've established that our thoughts emerge from our emotions and are entrained using brain waves and pattern matching. I know, I knew, neurology is stupid. Who needs a real brain after all.

Anyway, if you like really stupid crap, the brain and our nerves in general resemble distributed gain amplifiers that obey a modified version of Bayesian probabilities vanishing into quantum indeterminacy. Stupid crap that makes the Matrix and Lucy look positively childish. Forget all your metaphysical mystical mumbo jumbo, they are going down the rabbit hole as we speak taking measurements and pictures the entire way. Get over it already! 42 is as good as its ever gonna fucking get!

11. And enough of the lowbrow slapstick.

12. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Never enough! My book contains at least 350 pages of lowbrow slapstick, so the fucking idiots never forget it. Slapstick so valuable, some of it is classified. I will rub their noses in it so hard they never shit on the rug again.