Some thoughts on Existence, God and Religion

Discussion in 'Metaphysics and Mysticism' started by OlderWaterBrother, Dec 23, 2017.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is still a small view because of "the" world, when there are billions of them. and i don't mean that metaphysically. one planet might be as good as a universe to one person, but to the universe, one planet, or even its solar system, is less then one micro micro grain of sand.

there are perhaps psyonic effects. there are certainly statistical ones. reality is what DOESN'T depend upon our observation of it.
    just because the ego, or even the collective ego, doesn't want to let go, doesn't make it about us, at all.

2. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Really?

The topic of the Debate is "Is the Universe a Computer Simulation?"

I guess that is why the video is titled "Is the Universe a Computer Simulation?" and why Neil DeGrasse Tyson also said at the beginning that tonight’s topic is "Is the Universe a Computer Simulation?" And so, I don’t know why but I thought that is what the topic was.
    And I'm going to go out on a limb and say you’re a dullard, because I watched entire thing all the way to the after “debate” questions.
    I said why I was disappointed, I can’t help it if you find yourself satisfied with opinions and a dearth evidence.

3. OlderWaterBrother

And your point in asking all these questions is?
    No it really doesn't, you brought it up but nothing you said really lead to it.​
    Aside from that the video seems to use atomic shell theory which is a bit passé, the question should first be asked what "touch" is?

4. OlderWaterBrother

There may be some physicists that would disagree with your thought that “reality is what DOESN'T depend upon our observation of it” because in their experiments they have found that reality does seem to depend on observation

Also we may not be the only ones observing.

5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

You'd be wrong on that limb, ad hominem attacks... clearly the sign of a confident intellect :flushed:

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

No personal attacks please.

Lynnbrown likes this.
  7. MeAgain

Your original post brought up Avatar, Maya, and neural networks.

Neural networks, whether biological or artificial need hardware to run on. Biological networks need neurons and nerve cells, artificial ones need transistors.

If our reality is a type of neural network then it must have an underlining system to run on, either natural or artificial. The question then becomes, where did the underlying system come from.

If we can discover the underlying system of our reality, then we need to look for the underlying system of the underlying system, and so on.

Our reality, reality 1, is caused by reality 2.
    What caused reality 2? Reality 3.
    What caused reality 3? Reality 4.
    What caused reality 4? Reality 5.
    Ad infinitum.

Touch is usually defined as the meeting of two physical objects. My point is that there is no real meeting of physical objects as we have come to see a blurring of the term physical in modern physics and certain ancient philosophies no matter what metaphor you choose to define the act of touching.
    Same with all of our other senses.

The Bohr model of the atom that has defined electrons orbiting in a circular path has been superseded by the spherical cloud of probability, but the shell theory still holds.
    The Pauli Exclusion principle states that two objects with mass can’t occupy the same space, no matter what visual we use to express that idea.

guerillabedlam likes this.
  8. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Your solipsism , yes , it defies all authority with its stubborn dullness .

9. OlderWaterBrother

You started it so I guess what you say applies to you.

10. OlderWaterBrother

I merely relplied in kind to his remark to me.

11. OlderWaterBrother

yes, it did, I said those were some things I had been thinking about but then I also said a “sort of neural net” not an actual one. If you are familiar with Maya then you would also know that is about illusion and not about actual neural nets.
    First just because you are familiar with neural nets that have an underlying system to run on does not mean all “neural nets” would have one, especially since we are talking about a “sort neural net” and perhaps not an actual neural net. Second, physicists study the underlying systems of the Universe without allowing themselves to be deterred from those studies by your “Ad infinitum”.

The word “touch” comes from before the knowledge of quantum mechanics we have now and is a description of a sensation we feel and that feeling does not change because we have a better understanding of what is happening. I agree that on an atomic level we can “see” that there can be no “touching” mainly because the existence of matter itself maybe an unreality.

So then you agree the shell theory is a bit passé.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

no, the effect of the means of observation, is not a matter of preconceived notions. this is what they are referring to. things there is no other way to observe then to observe the results of interfering with them.
    this is a typical misunderstanding of meaning used as an excuse for self deception.

as for not being the only ones observing, that much is certanly true. i, for example, may very well not be entirely part of the 'we' you in all likelihood assume.
    rather to the point 'we' are NOT the reason everything else, or even anything else, exists. 'we' are just another part of the 'scenery' (of the universe, not just this planet),
    along with everything else, neither more nor less.
    and that includes these 'other observers' too. all of them.

13. OlderWaterBrother

You might find this video interesting:
    Okay
    You seem to be eliminating possibilities without giving any reason why you are doing so. There is the possibility that "I" am the only reason the Universe exists and that "you" only exist because I want someone to talk to and along that same line we all may be the "dream" (Maya perhaps) of a "great observer" for which the universe exists.

It could also be that each one of us is the "I" and the reason the universe exists. Perhaps each of us is an emergent part of a “great communal consciousness”. If that is the case, there may be a way to access that “great communal consciousness”, enlightenment perhaps and have a understanding about the universe that is beyond what is accessible by people that do not have access to the “great communal consciousness”.

14. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Maybe the entire universe is a system that supports a reality or a type of neural net. Everything is connected to everything else according to quantum theory.

15. MeAgain

So you are using the metaphor of a neural net by applying that concept to what you are thinking about the universe.
    Okay. Is that as far as you're prepared to go with that idea?

I never said physicists are deterred from their work by infinite regressions.

My point with touch was to illustrate not that matter may be unreal, but that matter is one descriptor we use when trying to understand reality.

No, I don't agree that shell theory is passe, it has merely been superseded and improved upon. Same as Newton's theory of gravity still applies in certain situations. I don't think Newton is passe.
    The video used Bohr's model to illustrate a point because it's easier to understand than Schroedinger's. There was no need to use a jack hammer when a tack hammer would do the same job.

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

"Neural net" sounds a bit material, but what you're saying is similar to the Hindu view that we are all one with the divine consciousness (Brahman) and have "forgotten" it. Gnostic Christians had a similar view, and thought the main mission of Jesus was to enlighten us to the God within us.

17. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

The repression of consciousness is imposed upon children . The Oneness is never forgotten , rather
    it is protected in a wild place , and it is feared by an over-organizing society who itself would be the
    Oneness . This is pretentiousness , and absurdly stressful . Smoking ganja has been prescribed to help
    this condition . Probably the remedy should be disorganized , eh ? That would be consistent with Divine
    Anarchy , which is very much trusting in a wholeness of mind .

themnax likes this.
  18. OlderWaterBrother

Yes, that is kind of what I had in mind.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

the first line is completely true, the rest, like all belief is speculation. as such things go, it is certainly one of the most positive and probable. i would add one little detail though, that a true anarchy, that is, a complete absence of hierarchy, depends utterly upon universally mutual consideration.

the magic is the strangeness itself.

it does not come from defying logic.
    there is nothing to stop a billion gods from existing, should each of them happen to choose to do so,
    and equally nothing to compel, even a single one of them, to have anything to do, with what anyone wants to think they know about it.

reality is that the unknown is unknown.

the universal wonder of strangeness exists.
    we can see it expressed in emergent phenomena, like a rainbow, or the hive mind of insects,
    but as soon as we try to pin down anything more about it, then that it exists, we enter the realm of speculation.

it is also illogical to expect goodness to come from anything wishing to be feared,
    and while it is tempting to assume the existence of infallibility,
    nothing observable, actually requires its existence.

so the only other nature reality has, then that of not requiring to be known,
    is a diversity greater then any, or even all together of us, can even begin to imagine.

again my main point: nothing that exists, depends for its doing so, upon being known, or known of, even slightly, by anything else.

in diversity being the nature of reality, there is inconvenience, even fear, this i must grant, but there is also hope, wonder and beauty.
    (it is also 'the only game in town' which is not up to us anyway)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

[QUOTE ...
    You seem to be eliminating possibilities without giving any reason why you are doing so. There is the possibility that "I" am the only reason the Universe exists and that "you" only exist because I want someone to talk to and along that same line we all may be the "dream" (Maya perhaps) of a "great observer" for which the universe exists... [/QUOTE]

i'm not eliminating possibility here, but i do find the idea of 'one of anything' less then compelling, counter-intuitive, and inconsistent with anything observable.

sure i could be imagining you,
    but, i can still stub my toe in the dark, without having to know there is anything there to stub it on.

haven't had much success lately with levitating
    or trying to summon solid objects into existence out of my imagination
    without the use of tools and materials and skills in the use of them either.