Some people!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by JayzzMama, Jun 15, 2006.

1. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

I went to my step-brothers graduation ceremony last night. It was in a big concert pavillion full of concrete and metal rails. I had J in my arms and I was running to get a some seats for my family. I wasn't running too fast and I was navigating carefully because I had my kid. Well, there was a group of "thugs" (I don't like labels, but for lack of a better word...) standing against one of the railings to the right of me. When I was about three feet away from them one stuck his leg out as if to trip me! I had to come to a screeching halt to avoid skidding face first into the concrete. He jerked his leg back INCHES before I would have hit it. Then they laughed! If I had actually fallen, Jimmy could have really been hurt! Then later in the ceremony, my elderly Gramps took a nasty spill and skinned his arm up. It was very frightening.....and they laughed and pointed at him instead of helping him!!! I'm still so furious!

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Wow, that's ignorant! I would have been furious too! Glad you guys were alright though.

3. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Thats so awful! Were there no form of security there? I am not a big fan of police, most of the time, but in large schools, they make the place look like an armed camp, and it deters this kind of crap. Tripping womyn with babies and old men, wow, those guys are SO brave. Jerks.

My dd Moon graduated last Sunday and at first I was like "Why the fuck are there all these pigs here?" And my dh is going "Will you shut up?" (I am NOT a quiiet person.) Then, I realized, there had been things like this and worse going on and the pigs, er, cops did remove a few people who were getting out of control. What is it with people? At Moon's graduation, they announced about 6 times not to clap or make noise for individual kids, because not every child was able to have their family present, and to save the applause for the end of the ceremony. That's not difficult to do.

There was a man and his wife sitting behind us who were the WORST offenders. My dd Sunshine asked them to please stop, and they started calling her names.The dude was my age. When Bear finally said something to him, the dude said "Hey, our son is graduating, we can be happy about it." Uh, dude, everybody here has a kid graduating, ONLY YOU (and 3 other people) are being jerks. So, I put my arm around Sunshine and politely said, soi they could hear, "Sunshine, it must be exciting for these people, to have the first person in their family EVER, to graduate from anything. Hell, their son can probably even read a little. Now they have someone to read the phone book for them so they can order pizza. No wonder they are allowed to get make more noise and the rest of us have to behave for an hour or two." They womyn's answer to that was to tell me to "go home." Ooooo, I'm so intimidated......and the assholes left before the ceremony was over, shortly after their kid walked across the stage. The Dean had asked people, specificaly NOT to leave right after their own child walked across the stage, because it wouldn't be fair to the other kids. so rude. The poor kids with w through z names, people walking out ect. There were more than 400 kids graduating, each kid got 4 tickets, to that makes more than 1,600 in the Gym, and all of them can be cool except one or two.

4. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

The Principal said the same thing about shouting and airhorns. I went up to the front to videotape Richie crossing the stage (they had special area set aside up front) and there was a group of womyn (10-12) and when their person crossed they SCREAMED into my ears. Then directly behind me was jack-wad with an air horn and they blew it even though they were banned! WTF? My ears actuallyt hurt for hours afterwards!

5. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

And the po-po didn't deter about HALF the audience misbehaving. They did help Gramps get bandaged up and re-seated though.

6. Maggie Sugar

It's amazing that just a few jerks can ruin what would otherwise be a very happy event.

I hope your gramps is feeling better. :)

7. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

My god people are asses!
    I've always gone to school with people like that, so i've actually gotten used to the 'shouting for family/friends' thing....but it's still annoying as hell....especially since i was always on the side which had no one cheering....(i really don't mean to sound whiney there, it just made me feel like shit)

i can really sympathize with the guys trying to trip you, too. The other day, I was going into a convenience store, and I was trying to manouver the stoller in through the door, and this guy pulls the door shut!!!!!!!!!

ah, people are jerks....there's times when i try to help people, and they even give me a smug look! like, what the hell!?

But yeah, hope you grandpa is all better now...sorry to hear that happened to him.

8. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

And people raise eyebrows when I say that some folks shouldn't be allowed out in public.

9. stephaniesomewhere

stephaniesomewhere Member

what you guys describe as high school graduation sounds so totally foreign to me that I am just rewriting this every three sentences in order to try and explain why!! and not succeeding....I think we have started to change towards celebrating it in such a way as you guys do in America but seriously, it is only highschool! Man, I didn't even bother to go to uni grad stuff, it is meaningless and just another means to get money out of you or your parents for costumes and such. If you don't go to such events you still get your certificate right? And potential employers dn't give a toss yeah? Maybe you need to celebrate this sort of acheivement privately and with the amount of attention it really is really deserved, "you did well young johnny now how about doing something to pay your way in this world?" I totally think that telling kids they have done well is great but as soon as you start to have events with tickets or money required to be invested then it just gets away from being about whether they did well or not....
    :(
    oh dear, still doesn't sound totally right when I reread this....give me another chance in a day or two guys....
    :rolleyes:

10. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

to plant my foot, firmly, into someones ass. Always hearing the comments, and such. People going out of their way to be assholes. While we are on the subject, a lot of the time, I feel like running over the people who purposely walk slowly in front of my car, in parking lots, and stare me down like the want to start some shit. Some of these people feel to froggy, they need to leap.

11. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Ugh that is terrible.

Re: Stephanie's comment
    Yeah do agree there, guess it's fine for other people and all but I generally abhor pomp and ceremony like that. I'm in the UK and with our graduations we only really got presented with our certificates and somed other low key stuff. Never bothered with the high school one, hated that time/place and just wanted shot of it, my closure was done.
    Went to the college one just to see my friends from there again and nearly died of boredom from the speeches.
    Will graduate uni next year and I'd rather skip it, in fact leaving the country itself would be even better. Still feel I should do it for my parents (more my dad as he had a disappointing graduation) really, so they can be proud and whatever. That's just the ceremony [costume and all], if I had to do the cards/cake/party/money scrounging and whatever else the American experience involves it'd fucking kill me.

12. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

at my highschool graduation, someone's drunk relative fell off the balcony and had to be taken away in an ambulance. Luckily, drunks don't really get hurt when things like that happens to them.

graduating from high school, and then from college ten years later were very important steps in my life. I didn't send invites begging for gifts and money, but I will admit that many people do. We had no cake, no party afterwards either (at least not one I cared to attend).

The disrespect the OP is talking about isn't something new, though. It is something our society needs to do something about!! I want to think that those kids' parents raised them to be "independant" and pushed them away and probably also treated them with very little respect, and that is why they are like that today. yeah, a new study should be done ...the horrors of letting a baby cry all alone in their crib and what that does to a person's brain and how it affects their social behavior...revisited 17 years later.

13. chris_1661

chris_1661 Member

You've got every right to be furious with them!!!

I would NEVER do a such a childish thing like that, and it just goes to show you that some people are just shit.

Luckily, your kid Jimmy wasn't hurt, and if I had been there, or if that happened to anyone in my family, I would have helped them.

I am sorry that you have had to suffer because of some "shitheads".

14. JayzzMama

JayzzMama Member

Thanks Chris! My husband wasn't there. I told him about it later and, well....let's just say I'm GLAD he wasn't there!

15. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

that sort of thing is how I became a backpack mama! I had so much more control (even if Arlo thought my braids were reins, ride 'em cowboy!) over how I got us in and out of places.

Think of people as obsticles and you will be rewarded with surprise when people are nice.

16. Maggie Sugar

Braids as reins, LOL, I remember those days! Better braids than long earrings, though. ;)

Yeah, we don't have graduation parties for our kids, either. It just seems like a gift begging thing. I figure, anyone who knows them well enough and wants to help with college will do it, without the "obligation." My dad came over today for Father's Day and handed Moon a $950.00 check. Both Moon and I almost choked, it was so nice. (I had fogotten he had done similarly with Sunshine.) He also set up little Trust Funds for them, for when they all turn 21, they can use them to pay back their school loans. ;) Daddy is a generous dude. I think he feels bad abouit runnin out on my mom around the time I started college and leaving me with $10,000 debt for college, really, this is for an other thread..........

17. Maggie Sugar

mamaboogie, I agree with everything you said. (usually do. ;) )

Also, "God watches out for Drunks and Little Children....usually."

18. HippyLandscaper

HippyLandscaper learning a new way

There isn't usually much of a difference between the two. Oh wait, I guess little children are better behaved.

19. Maggie Sugar

Yep! Little children don't get that Rage thing going on, in such a scary way! Why does alcohol do that? I have still never found an answer. (Again, for an other thread.)

20. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

oh yes, they sure do, if they are sensitive to gluten!! be very glad you have not witnessed one of my older daughter's fits from before we made big dietary changes. it was much scarier than one of my father's drunken rages, at least to me it was.