Some of my work (need some feedback)

Discussion in 'Art' started by Anavarius, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Anavarius

Anavarius Member

[​IMG]

This is a picture of Two young sisters fleeing a war torn city.
    I poorly designed the frame and the captions. I think I could
    have done it way better.
    Tell me what you guys think, I haven't been getting much of
    a response with my work lately and I need to converse, for positive
    and negative feedback. Feel free to help me out.

2. Therefore...

Therefore... Antidentite

I really like it. The frame and the picture go well together. What is the frame made of?

3. Anavarius

Anavarius Member

Its actually Bristol paper with a vellum finish. Then with difficulty I painted it black. Note : Acrylic paint doesn't adhere too well to the vellum finish.

I'm glad you like it though :)

4. peace_is_possible

peace_is_possible Member

It's very beautiful!!!! you're really talented.

5. Anavarius

Anavarius Member

I am actually thinking about opening up a portraiting business. It

wouldn't be that big, but at least I could try to make a living doing
    what I love everyday. I'm just finding out peoples views before I truly
    venture with selling my stuff.

6. peace_is_possible

peace_is_possible Member

you should definitely sell!!!! I would buy it. and people love having self portraits, I'm sure you'd make pretty good money, you have the talent, I'd go for it.

Good luck, I hope you do well with whatever you decide to do.

7. Anavarius

Anavarius Member

Thank you !

I wasn't expecting nice things like that.
    It's really appreciated.

8. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

I think if the caption had been typed or written neater and not on lined paper it would look a lot better.
    The image in itself is really good, and the traditional style picture juxtaposed next to from what i can see quite a modern looking frame (though origionally ithought you had just drawn the frame on the picture :S) is quite good, the only thing which distracts the eye is the way the title is written, for a serious and hard issue as this the handwriting is very curvey and almost happy. If you wanted to go for curvey writing i would recomend looking into profetional chaligraphy style, OR typing it upp with an appropriate font. Personally i think a neutral font is always a safe bet. Also the lines on the paper that the caption is written on also brings it down quite a bit.
    As i said before the portrait in itself is lovely and definatly an area you do very very well in :)
    I'm sorry if these are not the kind of comments you were looking for. x

9. Anavarius

Anavarius Member

Yeah I know I could have done a lot better on the word display. Unfortunately my writing is naturally curvy, and I just didn't want to use a computer print on it. I really like doing things all by hand.

Don't worry about the comments. All are welcomed. Now I might just change the word display. My goal is to improve my abilities so feed back is what I am looking for . :)

10. arlia

arlia Members

i like it,i tihnk that you would do really well at illustrating poems or short stories you get in those school text books!
    i cant read the writting very well tho,i think that the rest is really good thoug.
    keep going at it and dont feel discouraged.
    always remember that you are the artist,not the art critic.
    its personal to you and it has a purpose.

11. Anavarius

Anavarius Member

Your work is really amazing Arlia.

I would love someday for somebody to want to buy my work.
    You have a beautiful talent and I see its already in high demand.
    :)

I am glad you like my work. Your definately somebody I would converse with over art.

12. arlia

arlia Members

awwwwwwwwwwww
    *blushes*
    im getting there,thank you,
    something in which i ahveto learn is to become bold about my work and dont feel bad wen ppl critisise,if im to becaome and artist il haveto put up with all those anoying art critics..grrrrrrrr.
    im glad that you think that.
    never give up on your dreams unless the door totaly shuts and there is no other doors

13. arlia

arlia Members

which never happens in my experience i want to ad....so never give up,there is always another door,even if you haveto wait

14. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

it's hard to look away from those eyes and not feel sorry for those kids, even if they werent real people...

Some one said try changing the font, Which is what I would've said. Something that fits the mood more, Something with heavier lines?

For the frame I would try for something that complements the drawing style. Something with bunches of thin overlapping lines. (maybe line in thier hair). Or a style that would fit the cultural region (if it's a supposed to be a specific war or city). for example... something industrial or rustic or rubble like, if it's from European, WWII Era...

15. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

lol disregard the WWII idea, I just went back and read the poem ( or at least tried to) and realized it's supposed to be from Iraq. It clicked in my head to try something sand /desert related for the frame... Maybe palm Tree outlining the inner rectangles and then a sand texture behind. Maybe add some hills to get the in the middle of the desert effect.

Since the background is already black, Why not try doing the frame in negative colors. like get an exacto blade and take out parts of the black to represent highlights...

16. Disconformitized

Disconformitized Member

I must be on one of those creative streaks again! but I can't stop thinking... A arabic related font would look killer... try a caligraphy pen or a brush...

17. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

This is very beautiful... i think the frame would look best just a solid dark brown or black, as for the writting im not so sure on what you should do there...

18. woodenfrog

woodenfrog Member

verry cool,evrything works really well,good placement of facal featchers,good composition,great detail.

i agree ,the text could be better tho it is agreat concept.
    sunshine

19. jahendie

jahendie Member

first of all i love the subject when people see things like this it makes them aware of other peoples dilemas i don't think i could have done better the two girls have two very different looks on there face the one one the left is a baby doll type of sad the one on the right kinda looks evil these conflicting looks kinda confuse me. the girl on the lefts hair is kinda cartoonish even if the subjects hair really did look like that you might want to make look mre like the other girls hair a more organic blurred feel the shadow on the girl on the right's fore head could also stand a little smudgeing but over all i love the picture
    email mail me if you'd like to see some of my stuff

20. Anavarius

Anavarius Member

Thanks for the comments guys. It was just a photo
    from a newspaper clipping.

And I worked really hard on her hair man so go
    easy here!!! lol

I know I killed it with the god awful frame so
    I got a new one! As well the text will be put
    underneath the picture, kind of like a descriptive comment.

[​IMG]