Some Advice to The Amish

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Meagain, Sep 2, 2012.

1. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

Old order Amish usually don't (although their culture is changing too i think)
    Their are many diff. sects and groups some more progressive some more conservative . And people get them confused with each other and mennonites too . Who do drive cars . All anabaptist and pennacostal i think but not the same orders .

They are excellent craftsmen , and like any other business charge what people are willing to pay .And they do sell a good product . I would much prefer buying an Amish built structure to others . And yes it's cheaper too . I really respect their culture , and it's a shame it's changing . Because they are dealing more with the outside world then they used to . Again the lore of cash and the almighty dollar .

They are total pacifists , and refuse to serve or fight . The trade off is they can't collect any social security or government ben. .

But honestly , I think they live closer to the way we were meant to live before the industrial revolution . And I have no problem waiting driving behind them . It's they who should be pissed off at us , and our foolish waste of natural resources .

2. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The closest thing we have around here to the amish are the shakers but unlike the amish the shakers practiced celibacy; so the last Shaker died out about 20 years ago :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

3. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I like the Amish, as far as religious groups go. And I like the bearded men. They know whats up.

4. windy

windy Member

I've noticed this about the Amish in my area also. I was pretty shocked. People have called animal control and the police but so far nothing has been done. I thought it would be the other way around, that they would be especially kind to their animals. :(

5. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I like the idea behind the Amish. Leading a simple life. I don't understand, however, their other traditions. Why the lame clothes, and the beard growing? I know I'm traditionally stuck in the 60's but it's better than 1700's.

Side Note: Anyone going to watch the show on TV about the Amish kids moving out. I think it may come on MTV.

6. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

It's because most of their customs and culture comes directly from the bible . In other words they believe the bible's every word was written by GOD , and that they believe is how they should live their lives .

The plain clothes represents not being vain , but plain and humble . They don't even use buttons . Everything they do is based on bible teachings .

In the bible , in the old testament and still in some Jewish sects I believe, it was forbidden for a man to ever cut their beard . The Amish do shave however ,because most shave their mustashes . But somehow it's bible related.

The woman wear no make up for the same reason , no vanity , or impure sexuality because most woman in the bible where makeup was talked about were prostitutes .

It's just their culture . Bible based plain , humble ,pious and simple .

And they really, really hate having their picture taken . Most tourists don't understand this . They are respectful to the outsiders but hate it ! As they believe again bible based "graven images " , they believe it steals part of the soul . Some thing to remember when in Amish country .

So that makes me wonder just how "real" these new Amish shows on t.v. are ,while I never watched any of it , I have to wonder if it's not all b.s.

7. dixie_pixy

dixie_pixy HighMandi

I'm not a big supporter of the Bible. I would get struck down with lighting if I ever thought about going to Amish country! Kinda like going to the zoo!?

8. papa wolf

papa wolf Member

lol, no you wouldn't . If I can go and not be struck down , anybody can ! Yeah people stare at them like their on display at a zoo for sure. And they are diff. and unique . But I have to say they really believe in peace, love and living close to the land . LOL ,who's that sound like ? I have never heard of any murder , rapes , theft , arson or any other crime among them . So I think they are doing something right . They should be staring at us , we really do live in a zoo lol .

9. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Hollywood will never get Amish culture right, because they don't understand the driving forces behind it.

The biggest problem with the Amish is they get so hung up on external, superficial things that they lose sight of more important issues. They haven't figured out that the amount of stuff you have doesn't make you a good or bad person.

Also, they are rich but don't know it. Their family farms (inherited) often have a market value of more than a million dollars. They benefit in many ways by having all that land.

Amish people can't agree on much of anything, especially lifestyle rules. That's why there are so many different variations on their practices. There's an old joke about an Amish guy getting rescued from a dessert island, where he's been stranded alone for five years. There are two church buildings on the island. When asked about it, he says, "The original church split about three years ago." :D

I used to live with a guy who grew up in an area that had a lot of those people in it. He said that if they saw a non-Amish person having a serious problem, they wouldn't lift a finger to help him if their lives depended on it. That's all I need to know about them.

10. deleted

deleted Visitor

I was behind and Amish wagon once. I tried to pass it, and blew my engine. sort of embarrassing. however I drifted pretty far and was about 1/2 mile away from them as they passed me, they gave me a lift to a home with power and phone.. (I had my cell phone, but those were the times cell phones didnt go very far..

11. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

like an oil lamp perhaps? ;)

12. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I was wondering when someone was going to post that...

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The times I've seen them have been on local roads walking, riding buggies or bicycles, or at farmers markets. They go about their business. My wife used to deal with them for medications now and again, by phone, that's how I know some have phones and freezers or refrigerators, as she needed to know if they could store their meds safely.

15. azalea_mae

azalea_mae Member

I had a discussion with one of the local Amish men that cuts all of our lumber one day a few months back. It was quite interesting. Around here at least, there are rich and poor Amish. The rich Amish are easily recognizable by name. There are three common names locally, and they are the richest. They also have the largest number of family members. They live in single family homes on the largest numbers of acres, and generally have a business on the property. The poor Amish typically have numerous single family homes on small plots. They tend to have gardens and maybe a couple head of cattle or pigs if there is room. Some have no livestock at all.

The wealthier families have generators to supply power to their homes and own tractors with steel wheels, where the poorer families still have all horse drawn implements and use oil lamps or candles to light their homes. Their refrigerators are propane.

We just had a family move in down the road. I thought they were Amish, but after speaking with them, they had left the community. They still travel by horse drawn buggy or bicycle and wear the typical Amish clothing. They live off the land and live the simple life, but they didn't really like the political aspect of the Amish life. I have no idea what he meant and didn't push the issue. I didn't want to disrespect him in any way.

16. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Senior Member

Goood morning,

I thought about it, but then I had lots of things to do and forget about it. That incident was in the news, even on this side of the big pool. I think Amish people look nice and harmonic and fluffy from the outside and lots of them are that way. But since they are human beings they have haters, criminals etc. among their people as well as any other group of people have them.

Regards
    Gyro

17. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Had A Bit Of A Chuckle A Few Years Back When Some Amish

Teenagers Got Busted For Doing Drugs.

I Bet Mom And Dad Left Some Serious Welt Scars On Their Butts...[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

18. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Fanatics. The most evil thing there is.

19. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

I saw an interesting job ad the other week. A company is looking for a fanatic Unix engineer. I like it ;).

Regards
    Gyro

Asmodean likes this.
  20. Gyro Gearloose

Hello,

yeah, and TV ban for the next four weeks. Oops ;).

Regards
    Gyro