Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Pete's Draggin', May 27, 2018.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

L3 is hilarious! Beatin, you're such a whiner!

The movie in general is just ok. Not that great. But enjoyable nevertheless. Don't watch it in 3D. I already know i will enjoy the second viewing at least as much just because it will be in sharp 2D

Lando and Solo were adequately portrayed, which i was doubting in advance, but no: the new actors didn't bother me. Woody Harrelson was a fun addition. Didn't care for Qi'ra myself at all. Chewy was just as cool as usual

I was very pleased with how the settings looked in all newer movies. Happily that's never the issue :)

2. Asmodean

Also now we finally know how he did the Kessel run under 20 parsecs!

3. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

That's right. I forgot they mentioned that in the other movies.

4. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

If failing to be impressed by unoriginal story, laughable character development, & a bigger budget being spent on asinine propaganda messages than the movie itself make me a whiner so be it. The writers couldn't even be bothered to come up with a half decent explanation for why Chewie befriended Han in the first damn place.

"Oh you're making me feel bad for trying eat you because you can speak Wookie. Let's be bestest pals forever!!!"

5. Depends on what it means to a wookie to know the wookie language, I suppose, especially in those troubled times when the wookie were being treated so poorly by the empire.

6. Running Horse

Right well next time I come across a non English speaker I'll say something in his native tongue & then look at him expectantly awaiting his undying love & admiration. The original canon backstory for their unshakable friendship was that Han had, in some way, saved Chewie's life & that according to Wookie culture such an act meant Chewie was bound to Han in life debt. However because those responsible for the new films don't give a flying fuck about the lore of the saga they're writing for that shit went out the window.

7. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for your review bro, now I will go see it for sure!

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  8. Eric!

Billy Dee Williams (original) / Donald Glover (young Lando Calrissian)

image.jpeg

9. What if the pilgrims had kept a native American in a cage and you were thrown in there and he was about to ravage you but you began to speak to him in his native language? I can imagine this having a profound impact. Hey, if we're gonna start about canon...the prequels are "canon." I could give two shits about "canon." It's not like this is Shakespeare or something. It annoys me when people take something modern and think just because we like it so much right now that there's such a thing as canon regarding it. It makes people not use their creativity.

10. Running Horse

There is such a thing as Star Wars canon. For example in A New Hope the officer who is investigating the Falcon after it arrives on the Death Star informs Vader

"It must be a decoy. Several escape pods have been jettisoned."

Which meant that the Falcon had multiple escape pods in canon. Movie says so. Yet in Solo Lando has only one escape pod on her. A fancy thing that attaches up front which he proceeds to take off in & not bring back. So one of two things happened to make such a massive error in simple film continuity. Either the writers genuinely hadn't seen a new hope & as such didn't know about the multiple escape pods or they had & just didn't give a fuck. Either way that makes the script poorly researched & poorly written.

Sure canon can stall creativity, however in a saga franchise if used correctly it will more likely aid in it's cultivation. The people writing & producing Star Wars these days have no creativity to begin with. If they did they wouldn't have needed to turn a fairly well established character such as Lando into a robot fucking pansexual. They instead would've been able to actually create a new character to fill that slot. They would've been able to come up with their own decent biome for their new planets, one that actually made sense, at least somewhat. Instead the writers & directors gave us "Not Hoth" in episode 8 & a fucking slum planet in Solo.

Great your entire planet is nothing but poor scum & villainy who steal to survive? Well what happened when you all ran out of shit to steal because you're all poor people who just steal?? Complex thought processes be damned.

As to the whole Chewie thing. Great you've managed to explain why Chewie didn't just eat Han, fine. However such an explanation doesn't cover over 60 years of friendship. If that is as deep as Lucasfilm can go into a relationship then I truly question their interpersonal skills.

11. Asmodean

No, you're a whiner because you are exaggerating the things you dislike. Consistently.

12. Running Horse

What have I exaggerated?

13. Asmodean

Lando's sexual preferences and what Disney supposedly ment with it. Same with L3's rebellious ramblings and what that (according to you :p) means for the Star wars universe and all droids in it.

About the Falcons escape pods: I like it when people notice these differences (i value consistency of facts and lore too), but your conclusion is unneccesary rigid. All in all you're acting as a typical 'hater' of the Disney continuation of this franchise.
    They could simply changed the amount of escape pods over the years. It definitely needed a thorough repair after the events of Solo.

14. Eric!

I can't believe people are debating and getting upset over sci-fi/fantasy. I really like these movies, but damn, they are just "movies".

15. Running Horse

Have you not kept up with the things Kathleen Kennedy has been saying? She has blatantly admitted her SJW agenda on multiple occasions. You don't make t-shirts with The Force is Female pressed on them & not have a ridiculous agenda behind it.

As to my comment on the droid slavery issue it's simple logic. If Fembot 9000 (there's an exaggeration) is correct & droids are sentient it would stand to reason that all who've ever owned a droid in the Star Wars universe are essentially a slave owner. It puts all of them into one of two categories. Either they are completely cognizant of this sentience & use the droids anyway or just choose to ignore this sentience & use the droids anyway. This means the likes of Obi Wan, Anakin, Luke, Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, and all others who've owned droids are slave owners.

My conclusion on the escape pod thing is solid not rigid. You don't make a simple mistake like that if you actually care about what you're writing. The viewer shouldn't have to come up with an explanation to get around an inconsistency in the writers writing. It shouldn't be an issue in the first place.

I don't give a flying fuck about the modern Star Wars movies personally. Couldn't care less wether they exist or not. The only reason I state these issues is to encourage others to actually think about what it is that they are allowing their filmmakers to get away with these days. If no one cares about quality then we'll just keep getting shit. The same problem plagues the gaming industry, politics, business, schooling, and many other things these days. If my tirades open at least one person's eyes to the issues then my job is done.

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Maybe.

17. I guess I didn't listen to my own words when I said if we accept the prequels we'll accept anything, because that is pretty lazy writing, actually. The falcon should have several escape pods.

I think the prequels pretty much set the standard that future Star Wars movies will give fuck all about what happened in the original trilogy.

18. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i assume he hasn't, i think you're the only person on earth who knows what the fuck a kathleen kennedy even is.

19. Running Horse

The head honcho at Lucasfilm. Took over for Lucas after he sold out. None of you have to take my word on her asinine prejudices look her up for yourselves. Plenty of damning evidence especially on YouTube

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

There’s no way you couldn’t know who Kathleen Kennedy is (click on video below before proceeding) or at least seen her name in the credits of dozens of high profile and extremely successful movies such as E.T., Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Goonies, Arachnophobia, Gremlins, Jurassic Park, Twister, Schindler’s List, Lincoln, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, War of the Worlds, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story,

They feel betrayal by Kathleen Kennedy and Disney by injecting political & social issues of today into Star Wars, and by disrespecting the original legacy of the franchise by altering and changing the nature of the original characters,