Soldier Who Deserted Gets 1 Year... :(

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by HappyHaHaGirl, May 21, 2004.

1. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

2. Maverick

Maverick Banned

Oil war? So... wheres the oil we went to get? Because I sure as hell don't see it.

3. Wicked Eyes

Wicked Eyes Banned

Um... he SIGNED UP to the military, he gets MONEY from the military, he SIGNED UP to GET MONEY from the military... for this service he SIGNED UP so the military would be able to send him to war, IF war should occur.

Its a price you pay when you apply, there might or might not be war. There is war. So I don't think I'd sit there and applaud him for breaking his own contract that he signed for money to serve.

4. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

In his comments to the jury of four officers and four enlisted soldiers, Mejia said he was not afraid of going to jail. "I will take it because I will go there with my honor, knowing I have done the right thing," he said.

Mejia, 28, says he refused to return to his unit after a two-week furlough in October because he believes the war in Iraq is unjust. He turned himself in to the Army in March and sought status as a conscientious objector.

Now THIS is what I call a REAL HERO! I wonder if we can get his prison address and write him with thanks and respect?

5. cynical_otter

cynical_otter Bleh!

one year??

desertion used to be a hanging offense.

i agree to an extent with the guy who said that the guy DID join the military and going to war is ALWAYS a possibility.

it's kinda like playing NFL football and then bitching when your arm gets broken after 20 300 pound men tackle you.

It's sucks but these guys CHOSE to join the military for whatever reason(college money,world travel..ect)and they CHOSE to take the risk of going to war by joining the military.

I would think of this man as more of a hero if he had been drafted and still stood up to the Man.

But because he voluntarily joined a MILITARY...sounds to me like he's renigging his vows as a soldier for whatever reasons and that's not very honorable.

But that's ok....if there was a REAL war where OUR ACTUAL LIVES were on the line and our only protection was our military...I wouldnt want this guy between me and the enemy...he might run away scared or something.

6. Jetblack

Jetblack Senior Member

in my opinion this man should get a more severe punishment this is an act of betrayel to his country and a dishonorment to our military refusing to fight for his country is an act of betrayel

7. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

What you people aren't getting is that NO SOLDIER can be compelled to serve in a war that is illegal according to international law or to participate in acts that violate the Geneva Convention. This invasion and occupation were and are ILLEGAL under international law. No soldier can be compelled to participate in it. It's unfortunate that more soldiers don't desert based on this rationale, and file a massive grievance against the US government for demanding that they become war criminals by participating in illegal acts of war.

8. Megara

Megara Banned

illegal under what definition?

9. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

Under the Geneva Convention and the "rules of war" set up at the UN and agreed to by the US as a member state at the UN.

10. Megara

Megara Banned

last i checked, geneva convention was on how soldiers are to be treated. not on what is a legal war.

Secondly, the the US has the right to defend it self and its interest, and the UN has no SAY over that. Resolution 678 gave the US the right to use "any means necessary" to return "peace and security to the area." Iraq stood in material breach of countless UN resolutions. The US had every right to do what it did. The only authority needed to make a war legitimate is that which comes from the Constitution. Not the UN.

Was the Kosovo war illegal? was desert fox? somalia, etc etc etc?

11. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

The UN SECURITY COUNCIL had to approve this war for it to be legal. Resolution 678 was clearly linked to ejecting Iraq from Kuwait, and was not an indefinite blanket statement meant to allow anyone to invade Iraq *forever.* Further, Iraq was NOT creating conflict or threatening anyone in the region, so even the second "restore peace to the region" did not make the invasion valid.

Many legal groups around the world have already stated that this war is illegal. Even Richard Perle admitted that the war was illegal. The only reason the US is not being punished for this invasion is its economic and military stranglehold on this planet. Period. It's illegal. Member states at the UN cannot violate international laws of war, no matter what their "constitution" says. If they don't want to follow the international laws, they must withdraw from the UN.

Further, soldiers CANNOT be compelled to violate international laws, and are, in fact, expected to reject duty when it violates international law. This is why soldiers who commit acts of torture cannot say they were "ordered" to do so and evade prosecution. As I said, it is really unfortunate that more soldiers don't ban together and get greater attention on the war crimes they are being forced to participate in - and perhaps request asylum from other UN member states.

12. Megara

Megara Banned

let me paste what resolution 1441 said..

Recalling that its resolution 678 (1990) authorized Member States to use all necessary means to uphold and implement its resolution 660 (1990) of 2 August 1990 and all relevant resolutions subsequent to resolution 660 (1990) and to restore international peace and security in the area.

Further recalling that its resolution 687 (1991) imposed obligations on Iraq as a necessary step for achievement of its stated objective of restoring international peace and security in the area,
    Deploring the fact that Iraq has not provided an accurate, full, final, and complete disclosure, as required by resolution 687 (1991), of all aspects of its programmes to develop weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missiles with a range greater than one hundred and fifty kilometres, and of all holdings of such weapons, their components and production facilities and locations, as well as all other nuclear programmes, including any which it claims are for purposes not related to nuclear-weapons-usable material,

Deploring further that Iraq repeatedly obstructed immediate, unconditional, and unrestricted access to sites designated by the United Nations Special Commission (UNSCOM) and the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), failed to cooperate fully and unconditionally with UNSCOM and IAEA weapons inspectors, as required by resolution 687 (1991), and ultimately ceased all cooperation with UNSCOM and the IAEA in 1998,

Recalling that in its resolution 687 (1991) the Council declared that a ceasefire would be based on acceptance by Iraq of the provisions of that resolution, including the obligations on Iraq contained therein,
    Determined to ensure full and immediate compliance by Iraq without conditions or restrictions with its obligations under resolution 687 (1991) and other relevant resolutions and recalling that the resolutions of the Council constitute the governing standard of Iraqi compliance,

Iraq did not follow the resolutions that were imposed upon it.

BTW, you ignored my other question. Was kosovo, desert fox, somalia illegal too? Was our attack on Afghanistan illegal? Was Clinton attacking Afghanistan illegal?

13. Nick

Nick Member

This guy wasnt standing up for anything.....He was a fucken pussy and he used "oil war" as an excuse. He deserves more than one year. He needs to go to hard labor. Breaking big rocks into little rocks until his hands are raw!

Nick

PS: Did I mention I was right wing? You can find me about 100 miles to the right of Rush.

14. Nick

Nick Member

Are you nuts or something? Do you know what would happen if everyone deserted? The military is not a democracy!!! Its a dictatorship...not a group vote!

Nick

15. LaughinWillow

LaughinWillow Member

FUCK the military.

Iraq was complying with weapons inspectors - according to the inspectors THEMSELVES. The Security Council stated that Iraq was complying and would not give permission to invade. The US had no legal reason to invade Iraq. The action was illegal, and Bush is a war criminal.