Social media

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Mamluke13, May 20, 2018.

1. Mamluke13

Mamluke13 Members

Why are people anti social on social media? But its like it has gotten worst like why? What goes through there mind

2. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

There are a lot of reasons to be against social media. I am not even sure where to begin (although I use social media and am not entirely opposed to it). You could argue that it devalues actual face to face interactions, promotes FOMO, or "fear of missing out" (the term used to describe when a social media user sees there friends doing fun things that they are not doing), social media may help spread fake news, can give large media companies access to all of our private information, and research has revealed that social media causes decreased happiness among users--and that is a causation, not a correlation.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

as in, why do they act like assholes? i assume it's just because people feel safe behind a computer screen. even if it's a social media that's not anonymous, there is no immediate danger of retaliation so it's not the same as calling someone an idiot to their face.

4. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

I don't know, but anti-social media needs to be a thing.

5. fundoo

fundoo Members

Firstly, when I think of social media I think of the main ones like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram...but I do realize that forums count too. Still, they aren't as unhealthy because they are often slower paced or you can click on topics whereas the other media platforms you must scroll through a lot of garbage first.

But what I don't get is why people bitch and complain so much about it being a problem when they're clearly addicted. Hey! I own it! And I'm not even half as bad as some of these folks...ok, maybe I am. But what I mean is I don't "like" or click/comment on EVERYTHING. I just tend to check back on sites over and over again for new info when it doesn't even always come. But still. Some folks do this and more and complain. Silly nonesense! Maybe they're feeling guilty and trying to bash themselves. Whatever. If you're not going to change... maybe they're trying to help others. I'd say, lead by example or just state reasons why is bad, not just complain.