So you call yourself a hippy?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Ohio_Grown, May 14, 2004.

1. Ohio_Grown

Ohio_Grown Member

Hello!
    So I got this website from a friend of mine. She said it was AMAZING. She said it was a place for hippies to discuss the issues our world is facing and to voice their opinions and learn from eachother. After reading some threads, though, I've got to admit I'm a little disappointed. What the hippy movement accomplished in the 60s was unprecedented and isn't repeatable. For the youth of today to follow in their footsteps and work toward peace is a very honorable thing, but for most of the people using this website, I think you all have the wrong idea about the hippy movement. It's not about drugs. It's not about sex. It's not about diverging from the expected. And it's certainly not about putting others down for their choices. Let me explain in detail --

Drugs- I've seen people write in saying how the only happy thing in their life is getting high with friends, sitting around and just chillin'. While, I'm not disagreeing necessarily that this is fun, I feel people are abusing their priveleges. Just because you get stoned in your basement with your pals after school (or during school for that matter) doesn't make you a hippy. True hippies are out on the streets protesting and working their asses off to stop war and hatred and to make this world a more peaceful place. I don't call you guys hippies. I call you bums. So many people are writing in talking about what new drugs they are trying and what crazy trips they have... but all you are doing is destroying your body so you'll just die sooner. How does that help mankind? How does that stop hatred? Just becuase you talk about loving peace while getting high with your friends, it doesn't do shit for the world if you don't show it. Get off your lazy ass and do something worthwhile.

Not conforming- OK. I understand the beauty of individuality. I think it's amazing that we have the opportunity to be ourselves in this country. But I know too many people that work so hard to diverge from what's trendy, that they turn full circle into conforming to another group of non-conformists. Dude, what's the deal with that? Fuck what everyone else thinks. Do what you wanna do. That's how the hippy movement began, anyway. I recently read a post from a girl asking who was going to prom. The first response she got was "Dude. Prom is soooo unhip." Old hippies i'm sure would shudder at that response. Just because prom is a school event and it's seen as superficial doesn't mean it can't be fun. If you want to go to prom, then go. If you don't, then don't. That's all there is to it. The whole point of the hippy movement is that there are no stupid rules like "Thou shalt not go to any school functions because it's lame". I'm embarrassed that whoever wrote that response even dares to call themself a hippy. There's just no need to put others down.

Well, I think that's about enough rambling for now. Lemme know what you guys think. I mean, everyone in this forum is asking how to bring the hippy movement back... and the first step is to ask yourself who you really are and if you truly want to rid our world of hatred, greed, violence, and oppression.

Love and Peace,
    L

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I agree with you. :) There are some hardcore hippie folks on here, then a lot like myself who do all they can but are still incredibly lazy, then a lot of folks who buy a peasant blouse for 40 bucks at the mall and wear it to a DMB show.... It varies. This is a cool place, for the most part, though. Just steer clear of the Vegetarian forum unless you've got your anti-crazy bitch armor on. :)

Welcome! I hope you like it.

3. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

What can I say? Honestly there are A LOT of people that come here, with various beliefs, etc. Everyone is different. There are a lot of people here who don't do drugs at all, there are forums where those types of things are favored topics. Same thing about sex. Also everyone here doesn't call themself a hippy. Some people are nowhere close, some people do call call themselves to be hippies but they are very much just using that as an excuse to hide behind something, or to have a reason to do the things they do.

Everywhere you go there are posers, and there are other people who don't claim to be anything but themselves, like me so as much as you're discouraging judgement you are doing the same thing. You can't read a few responses and decide that everyone here is the same way. There are lots of different topics going on here, maybe you should look for things before placing generalizations on a HUGE group of people.
    There.
    Peace, love, and positivity,
    *mera

4. Ohio_Grown

Ohio_Grown Member

look, i didn't mean to come off as judgemental... so if anyone was offended, i do sincerely apologize. I'll be sure to take a closer look around this place.

but what can i say? people who lie about who they truly are piss me off.

peace and love,
    L

5. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

You're cool....it's just hard to get what you're saying across here because people take everything so literally and stuff....I guess because you're writing and not talking and they can't tell your tone very easily. That's why you should end every post with:

Yeah, I mean YOU, bitch!!!! :p

6. underwhelmed

underwhelmed Member

haha nice ending happygirl...

i gues... dont judge a book by its cover.

7. zopilote

zopilote Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

i can see where you're coming from sir, for example that bush story thread, with its 'i know more drugs than you' posts...ugh
    but thats to be expected with any message board, and as they go, hipforums is much better than most.

it was the same in the sixties you must realise, with every movement there are stragglers and conformists, and comformists to non conformity and everything else you could get irate about, but thats the problem with people, not this site...
    also, without these people the original movement couldnt have had the impact it did, it was the strength in numbers, and numbers are one thing you get when something becomes fashionable...

take some time here, you'll find it's/we're not all that bad

8. cotter builds

cotter builds Member

in my opinion hippies are just very accepting people just lookin to enjoy simple things in life and to let people do thier own thing without hasslin them.

9. borut16

borut16 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

That's the activists, not just hippies, who do things to actually change the world. And many of us don't even call ourselves hippies(i don't, i like SOME of the ideas only, but i've got many friends on here), I'm not against drugs, even though i don't do them.
    THat's what I call anarchism.

And we don't even all call ourselves hippies(some do, some don't) but you've got somewhat of a point, nothing to well, though.

10. _DeLiA_

_DeLiA_ Member

good point.

11. God

God Member

It's about love, my friend.

12. Becknudefck

Becknudefck Senior Member

dude i so agree with you. and yes i hate posers. people who try to be hippies and try to act like a stoner just to get certain guys in my school to like them. you have to really like that stuff and not care about being kewl or not. im ki9nd of a hippie, but i dont try to be someone im not to get people to think im kewl.

13. Mui

Mui Senior Member

how about we stop arguing about what a hippie is, who is a hippie and who is not and start judging everyone on an individual basis? What's it matter... we're all people in the end

14. Sunnie

Sunnie Jes-Jes

If we all thought the same, and liked/hated the same things it would be one boring mother fucking place now wouldn't it?

15. Sugar Magnolia

Sugar Magnolia Member

that's exactly what i wanted to say :) it seems like in some of these posts people are making all these reasons why you are or aren't a hippie. but who cares?...do what makes you happy, have fun and be kind.

16. DeadheadHippieForPea

DeadheadHippieForPea Member

hey man we should just all chill..and stop the talk about the "what makes a hippie..blah blah blah"..like Mickey Hart said in a dead movie "we where called hippies..and we didnt even now what hippies where...." or sumthing like that..just chill...be kind..spread the love..and dont think about it so much..hehehe Peace and Love

17. Willy_Wonka_27

Willy_Wonka_27 Surrender to the Flow

if i didnt call my self a hippy than how could people make those funny hippy jokes/comments...such as...take a shower you hippy..and..put some shoes on hippy...these thing make me laugh when i hear em'...

18. Willow-Bridget-Love

Willow-Bridget-Love Member

yeah, i agree ohio grown. i dont do drugs, well like i said i did pot once, but Lucy said that she didnt want me doing drugs, cause shes worried that i might take a drug, and then be different,and she loves who i am. and i love her, and im in love, and drugs arent important.

but yeah, activisim is important, and i do that as much as i can, being i cant drive, but my parents give me drives.

19. Lani

Lani Member

Hmm, as someone mentioned an activist is not necesarily a hippie and vice versa..there is a lot of cliches that are thrown in the definition of what a hippie is...and in my opinion thats exactly what people who do call themselves hippies (or are being called that) arent..they dont want to be classified or put in a definiton (well thats just some people i guess). So does being ultra political make you a hippie? Do clothes make you a hippie? Making a choice as to being a vegetarian, vegan etc make you a hippie? Respecting other people and theyr opinions...does that make you a hippie ? drugs??? Not being a part of society and living your own way..in the woods somewhere? Doing your own thing? I have no clue...I dont call myself a hippie...maybe I am, maybe Im not..I dont think it really matters at all ...If you go about life doing what you enjoy (and dont hurt people in a process) its great...does it really need a name?? and even if some folk here do called themsleves a hippe its theyr right to do so!!! Man happiness is a weird thing...I just thought this is a cool place as most people here are really nice and its sort of a meet up point for people with similar intersts..
    Pusa velika!!
    (=big kiss!!!)

20. Lani

Lani Member