So, who still has a home phone?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by metro, May 20, 2004.

1. metro

metro self-banned

Does anyone still have a home phone? It seems like everyone I know only has a cell phone now. I had one up until mid-May, but I canceled it because I just am not a cell phone type person. I don't need to be talking to someone all the time. It's like people are embarrassed to be seen alone, so they chat on their phones so everyone knows they have someone to talk to. I know that's not always the case, but probably much of the time...

2. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I have both, because I don't get a signal at my house at all. It sucks....but I need the house phone because I'm there so much. :rolleyes:

3. sweet_tits_mera

sweet_tits_mera Member

Yeah one of my roomates is one of those 'I'm important and my phone calls are more important than life itself' people.

I have a cell phone as it seems most college students do, 'cause I really need it, especially when I lived in the dorm, I could never get a call in to my parents or anything.

I know so many people long-distance so it helps, but I don't use it in public unless it's really important, I keep it on silent, and I usually just don't even bring it with me if I'm going somewhere where I'm gonna be around other people and feel safe, when I'm walking late at night in comes in handy though.

Seriously though, so many people take it overboard.

4. Digital Underpants

Digital Underpants Member

It is strange is'nt it?
    I have only two friends that only have land lines and only know two other's with both.
    I have about thirty people in my phone and they are all cell numbers.
    i think it's creepy . even though I also have a cell only.

5. StellaBlue

StellaBlue Senior Member

We still have a home phone for when cell service is out. It's mostly because my mother doesn't have a cell phone, the rest of us do.

6. Llama

Llama Member

We still have a home phone. My mom has a cell phone, but it is RARELY on. She sometimes turns it on when she goes out. It gets used maybe 10 times a year.

I, like a lot of you, have a lot of friends with cell phones too. I have a couple freinds with cell phones only, and no homephone. It gets really annoying to call them because either they're running out of minutes, or you can only call them on weekends. It's frusrating.

The main thing that gets to me, is people think they need to make calls and drive at the same time.

7. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I keep a land line so I can have dial up back up when ( and it happens) my cable internet goes down.

8. beachbum7

beachbum7 Lookin' for any fun

My roomates and I have a home phone in our apartment, but the only reason why we got a regular phone is because we needed it to get the Internet (We have an ADSL connection). But I do use my home phone when calling back home because it's cheaper (with my phone card) than using my cell phone.

9. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

I have home phones...
    I have a cell phone but its old, very very old, and only use it if i am in a wreck or something else..

10. A Clockwork Orange*

A Clockwork Orange* Member

We have both too, although I love speaking to my friends.. I find phones so irritating! At the risk of sounding like a moody bitch, When i'm at home i just want to be on my own! Peace and quiet man x x x

11. The_Mad_Buster

The_Mad_Buster Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Since I stopped my traveling ways ive gave up my cell and only use a home phone for the internet.

12. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

I don't own a cell phone. I used to have one, but people kept calling me on it which got annoying so I didn't renew the contract.

13. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

I have both a home phone and a cell phone. But because we can't get any type of internet connection other than dial-up in this part of town, my landline phone is only used for the interent. There isn't even a phone hooked up to it, and when people call, they just get a busy signal.

So when people want to get in touch with me, I give them my cell phone number. :)

Speaking of which, honeyhannah (if you ever see this), I sent you a text message.

But when I move in August, I'll be in a part of town that CAN get DSL, so I won't need my landline anymore. Hopefully!

14. booshnoogs

booshnoogs loves you

Pretty sure that if you have DSL, you also have to have a landline.

15. Ginge

Ginge Ye Olde Member

But I'm moving to dorms, so I won't need MY landline. See what I'm saying?

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i don't own a cell phone, refuse to spend my own money on one (if i had any to spend in the first place) and am connecting to this internet over the landline from my house. now if it were up to me the modem would be the only thing connected to it, and if and when i have lived alone it has been, which is to say when i've had either at all.

the only way i would ever want to be constantly in touch (which to me means constantly harrassable, which it defies my comprehension why anyone would want to be, let alone pay to) is if someone was PAYING ME to do so!
    i must be slow or dumb or something, but people WANTING to own and use cellular voice phones just makes absolutely no comprehensible sense to me what so ever

17. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i have both. the cell phone is just in case the car breaks down.

but being as how my husband came to my house last night, wouldnt leave, i had to dial 911. he grabbed the phone and threw it smashing it into smithereens, i would have to say i have one less home phone. (did it in front of my daughter too. she kept saying daddy scare me. daddy bad. )

18. Althea

Althea Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have both. I only use my cell phone when I'm out, and the only reason I have it is so the kids can call me if there's a problem; if I need to call home to ask my hubbie to read me the grocery list 'cause I forgot it (which happens often); to let my fam know I'm runnin' late or for emergencies. I don't just bullshit with my friends on it. That can wait 'til I get home.

19. BigBong

BigBong Member

I love my cell phone =D

I never answer the house phone at my parents house.. When I move out we will not have a house phone because all of my friends have cell phones.. All my friends who live alone at the moment have no house phones.. only cells..

Some of yall seem a little too negative towards something so easy and convient..

20. metro

metro self-banned

Yikes mariecstasy! sorry to hear that, hope this doesn't happen often.

BigBong-yeah they can be convenient, but also a pain, like if the battery dies, and you have to lug them around etc. Also other people can inconvenience you w/their constant chattering- you can be hanging out w/someone and having a conversation and it will be totally interupted. I don't like to overhear stranger's conversations either. I just think people are rude w/their cells, perhaps w/o even meaning to be.