So what would you do about this situation? Can you believe this situation?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by LuckyStripe, Jun 5, 2006.

1. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Some of you may know about this case... the accident happened in IN in April.

A van load of college kids were hit head on by a truck. Two blonde girls looked fairly similar. Their wallets/id's/etc got thrown out on to the road. One girl died and the other girl went into a coma for five weeks.

The girl that died was identified by three people from the college and was buried as Whitney.

The other girl was ready to come out of a coma and they finally knew she lived and Laura's parents and family were informed of this.

However, Laura was really Whitney and Whitney was really Laura.

They had different blood types and they never did a blood type test, dental record check, nothing.

There faces were SEMI badly damaged- okay probably pretty bad. However, why wasnt anything done?

They are now digging up the body of Laura to bury as Laura instead of Whitney. No one is planning on sueing.

Would you?

2. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I think I might, its such an american-inept disaster that I might want to go all the way and sue too...and maybe hit a steakhouse on the way back from the couthouse where i drink martinis

3. Mr MiGu

Mr MiGu King of the Zombies

yes
    if i were the dead girls parents, i would sue the girl in the coma for her medical expenses

and if i were the comatose girls parents, i would sue the dead girls parents for the cost of their daughters funeral

4. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Oh, I disagree (not with the martinis)

I don't think I'd sue the other girl's family no matter which side I'd be thinking of. Hospital or coroner maybe. Most likely coroner.

5. AshtonsMom

AshtonsMom Banned

I would most certainly sue. Of course, there are things that I will do now that I wouldn't do before I had my son.

6. seamonster66

There are a lot of easy emotional damages too, you'd just have to do it or move to Iran

Where was this again, in Utah or something, sue scared mormons or what :D

7. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

They can't sue the state, so they have to PROVE negligence on a facility (ex-hospital) or person (ex- coroner).

8. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

from my understanding, neither family requested any testing done to get a positive identification done....

just an honest mistake...even the parents were fooled...but dont' think theres any grounds to sue...sad situation nevertheless

9. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I'm forgetting where they live. The accident was in IN but they do live out west some where.

There reasons for saying they don't want to sue as of yet is because they are Christians and believe in forgiving people.

I say "fuck that" :D

10. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

You have to request a simple blood test? Okay I guess in that field the statement "I'm 98 percent sure it's her... that works" is just fine?

11. seamonster66

Christianity doesn't stop them from ruining our country, but it prevents them from hiring a lawyer and suing a coroner for an amateur mistake?! WTF? That does sound like some Indiana bullshit :D

12. fitzy21

its up to the parents....if they had any doubt, they should have requested tests, but they didn't...they thought they made a postive ID and had the burial - well, they were wrong, so were the coroners and the doctors

13. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

To be honest, I don't know what I'd do. Suing really wouldn't change the reality, and mistakes do happen as we're human afterall. However, what other methods/actions are there for handling a situation like this, besides suing? Something really should be done. Think of the hell these families have been through. Although no amount of money would change things, or bring back the lost life. Wow, I couldn't imagine. That's one heck of a big mistake to make, that's for sure.

14. seamonster66

Fuck that, those guys are supposed to be professionals, and should CHECK to make sure, no matter if someone asks them to or not, this isn't 1897

15. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

Imagine being told "she's waking up and will live" and then finding out "oops, she was dead and buried five weeks ago"

That would be horrible.

16. LuckyStripe

LuckyStripe Mundane.

I agree. They are in a professional field and if nothing else they did the BARE MINIMUM of their job. When faces are distorted and swollen like that I'm not sure why you WOULDN'T do a blood or dental test or both.

Maybe people do have to request those things but I don't always think grieving families are always in their right minds to think of those things at that time. I'm not sure if I, myself, would have thought of it if I was grieving, upset, depressed, etc.

17. hippychickmommy

True, I do agree.

18. hippychickmommy

Horrible is probably an understatement. I couldn't even begin to imagine being told something like that.

19. fitzy21

i'm sure the procedure was followed to a T...how often does a crash happen and the coroner and doctor has to see 2 young girls, who arent' related, but look like each other come about with no idenitication on the person? its not like they went out of there way to skip parts of the procedure set in place. sure, things need to change now, but you can't change what happened and you can't magically put in procedures that are active a few weeks ago. its not gonna happen.

the parents thought it was a positive ID. they didn't want any testing done because they thought it was there daughter. both families were wrong. you can't change that.

its still a horrible thing that happend, but i dont' think anyone should be sued over this

20. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

jesus, sue-happy America
    wouldn't even cross my mind to sue
    if it was my kid that turned out to be alive, I'd be joyful but I'd try to help out the family that lost someone
    other way round, I'd probably go hide in a hole until I felt vaguely close to normal again