so what, in you're oppinion, is the greatest animal of all time?

Discussion in 'Animal Advocates Support' started by razm, May 21, 2004.

1. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Definitely is not humans- we're the only animals who kill the environment, bomb eachother, judge eachother, etc...
    But whatever,...we all deserve love, regardless of our species

2. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

You obviously have never seen animals fighting. Just because humans have organized conflict into wars between states doesn't mean the animal world isn't extremely violent, especially in regards to status in groups.

As for the question, it's definitely humans.

Penguins are a close second.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ring tailed Lemurs

[​IMG]

4. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Actually, I have, and I know that other primates have wars. However, they do not spend billions of dollars figuring out new ways to kill/torture one another. They do not capture other animals to test these torture devices on. They do not become corrupt and turn against their own clan, or become greedy and selfish as a ruler....

5. TipsyGypsy

TipsyGypsy Light of a Fading Star

Very, very tricky. I love them all, and they are not the greatest things, but if I had to choose I would probably say cows.

6. floes

floes Senior Member

[​IMG]

is by farone of the most amazing animals ever discoverd.

A green sea slug appears to be part animal, part plant. It's the first critter discovered to produce the plant pigment chlorophyll.
    The sneaky slugs seem to have stolen the genes that enable this skill from algae that they've eaten. With their contraband genes, the slugs can carry out photosynthesis — the process plants use to convert sunlight into energy.
    "They can make their energy-containing molecules without having to eat anything," said Sidney Pierce, a biologist at the University of South Florida in Tampa.
    Pierce has been studying the unique creatures, officially called Elysia chlorotica, for about 20 years. He presented his most recent findings Jan. 7 at the annual meeting of the Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology in Seattle. The finding was first reported by Science News.
    "This is the first time that multicellar animals have been able to produce chlorophyll," Pierce told LiveScience.
    The sea slugs live in salt marshes in New England and Canada. In addition to burglarizing the genes needed to make the green pigment chlorophyll, the slugs also steal tiny cell parts called chloroplasts, which they use to conduct photosynthesis. The chloroplasts use the chlorophyl to convert sunlight into energy, just as plants do, eliminating the need to eat food to gain energy.
    Rarely seen creatures
    "We collect them and we keep them in aquaria for months," Pierce said. "As long as we shine a light on them for 12 hours a day, they can survive [without food]."
    Advertise | AdChoices

The researchers used a radioactive tracer to be sure that the slugs are actually producing the chlorophyll themselves, as opposed to just stealing the ready-made pigment from algae. In fact, the slugs incorporate the genetic material so well, they pass it on to further generations of slugs.
    The babies of thieving slugs retain the ability to produce their own chlorophyll, though they can't carry out photosynthesis until they've eaten enough algae to steal the necessary chloroplasts, which they can't yet produce on their own.
    The slugs accomplishment is quite a feat, and scientists aren't yet sure how the animals actually appropriate the genes they need.
    "It certainly is possible that DNA from one species can get into another species, as these slugs have clearly shown," Pierce said. "But the mechanisms are still unknown."

7. floes

floes Senior Member

mans best friend

When humans emerged from the evolutionary process, they were greeted by a wag of the tail and a lick on the face. It seems like that sometimes. As though we emerged from the primordial ooze and there they were. In fact, we evolved together, and our special relationship with canines has existed since prehistoric times. According to Darcy Moray, zoo archaeologist from the University of Tennessee at Martin, the oldest convincing case occurred "In Germany, about 14,000 years [ago]. Not only was the dog buried, it was part of a human double grave," (Archeology, November 8. 2006). Furthermore, Moray continues, the oldest evidence of this human/canine bond in North America is between 9000 and 10,000 years old, with dog burials documented from every major land mass in the world except Antarctica.

[​IMG]

;)

you have to try so hard to make any person happy. yet all i have to do is take my dog outside and he is happier then i can make anyperson. nothing beats the companionship of a dog, one that you raise, that you put your heart into. im not talking about your moms dog, your family dog. im talking about your dog. that you get from day one, and raise, and teach, and build a strong bond with. one that understands and feels you, one that knows you, one that is a direct reflection of who you are. nothing beats a relationship between you and your dog.

ive had my dog since the day he was born, tought and raised him. he has hitch hiked with me. i can tie him to my backpack and leave him outside of a store for hours, and he will lay by my pack and watch it. he wont let people approach me agressivly, he is compassionate and understanding. he is so responsive to everything. id say he is one of the best animals. just in my opinion, because he is my animal. the one i raised, the one who understands me.

8. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Dolphins: reading about them is always intriguing. For whatever reason I don't usually associate water animals with intelligence but some of their skills are completely unparalled, even by us. I wish I had a chance to see them more and how watch how they interact and play.

Elephants: My favorite land animal besides us. I always was more in awe of larger animals and they have such a stoic, wise look to them. I was at a zoo and saw one help move these huge logs for a trainer there and then it got onto this cart on command. I was unaware how responsive they are to humans before that point.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

i always thought the sea lion was pretty funny, when it interacts with humans..
    they make me laugh all the time..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBtC1eMize8"]YouTube - Funny Sea Lion Breakdancing

10. Boogabaah

Boogabaah I am not here

jellyfish...

11. OhSoDreadful

OhSoDreadful Childish Idealist

no such thing, we're all equal in importance

12. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icKB9EfURhQ&feature=related"]YouTube - Comb Jellyfish

this is a cool animal, discovered at the bottom of the atlantic. I am mostly convinced there is alien life

this creature has adapted to cold temperatures, massively large amounts of pressure and complete darkness.

13. TheMadcapSyd

TheMadcapSyd Titanic's captain, yo!

They also minus protecting their own children have absolutely no caring aspects for each other, concepts of romantic love, or concept of doing things for the greater good, so moot point.

A possible contender for greatest animal:

[​IMG]

14. weaverc12

weaverc12 Member

ive had hedgehogs, a pig, chickens, a duck, a goat, a horse, cats, dogs, hamster, gerbils, ferrets, rabbits, a monkey, parrots, a guinea pig, a monkey, and rats. of all.. the rats are the coolest! i have 2 right now.. havarti and gouda, they are so awesome :)

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

ninja anteaters of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQPo7WTxKEg"]ninja anteater - YouTube

16. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Snow leopards

17. midgardsun

midgardsun Senior Member

18. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Crows or their larger relative the Raven

19. Tarra

Tarra Member

The Barn Swallow!

20. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

uhhh... it's a duck

duhh.

thread closed (i should be a moderator).